XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-23-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe

918 beats the P1 again

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rformance.html

Also worth noting, the P1 has tires that were already heat cycled whereas the 918 did not. The P1 got to do more laps, with a team there to support the P1.

Love how Porsche just sends a car and wins without the need for a team to support it.

Ferrari declined to participate.

Last edited by Revcrazy; 03-23-2015 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

So they're waiting on all three to be available at once, just like Top Gear was.

Already knew the 918 was faster on corners.
      03-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #3
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

So Ferrari can tell you what you can and can't do with your car. Lovely.

I wonder what times the Hyuara would do.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
1chanc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post

Yep, just like when Ferrari sent a cease and desist letter to DeadMau5 when they found out about his Purrari. He had changed his 458 "Ferrari" word badge to "Purrari" and wrapped his whole car in Nyan Cat wrap. Ferrari didn't like that so they told him to return it to stock. Needless to say he did, and also sold it immediately and bought a P1?

So silly how even after you OWN the car, the manufacturer can still dictate what you do with it. Lame.
      03-23-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chanc3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post

Yep, just like when Ferrari sent a cease and desist letter to DeadMau5 when they found out about his Purrari. He had changed his 458 "Ferrari" word badge to "Purrari" and wrapped his whole car in Nyan Cat wrap. Ferrari didn't like that so they told him to return it to stock. Needless to say he did, and also sold it immediately and bought a P1?

So silly how even after you OWN the car, the manufacturer can still dictate what you do with it. Lame.
That's absurd.

It's funny that Ferrari must deduce themselves to antics like they do to win comparos, and even then, they still get beat quite often.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #6
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Its not like you buy a Ferrari (new) either. Ferrari picks you to buy their car. Thats the case with cars like the Enzo or specialty cars like that.

I'd still take a P1 over the 918.

If I did something to my car and the manufacturer said undo that, I'd tell them to pound sand.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 01:50 PM   #7
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Thanks for sharing, but leave the spoilers out next time please
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 05:31 PM   #8
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revcrazy View Post
That's absurd.

It's funny that Ferrari must deduce themselves to antics like they do to win comparos, and even then, they still get beat quite often.
No instrumented tests exist either by C&D for any model, only first drives.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #9
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Am I the only one that's not surprised that the 918, a car that's able to send power to four separate contact patches, beat the P1, a car sending an absurd amount of power to just the rear and has a performance envelope that's highly dependent upon downforce, at a track like Laguna Seca?

These cars have different strengths that are clearly highlighted by their spec sheets. I'd wager good money on a P1 taking the lead on a power track with plenty of straights and high speed sweepers, whereas I'd place my bets on the 918 at any low speed, small radius corner-intensive track... like Laguna Seca.

I'd be happy to own any of the big three. Wouldn't be able to choose one over the other if I had to.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #10
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
Am I the only one that's not surprised that the 918, a car that's able to send power to four separate contact patches, beat the P1, a car sending an absurd amount of power to just the rear and has a performance envelope that's highly dependent upon downforce, at a track like Laguna Seca?
No you are not. Common sense would suggest 918 would have the advantage at a track like Laguna Seca.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 06:17 PM   #11
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
I'd still take a P1 over the 918.
Same here.

I wouldn't even care if the LaFerrari was a little slower around a track or in a straight line than either a P1 or 918. It offers a more visceral and raw driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 06:31 PM   #12
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End

These cars have different strengths that are clearly highlighted by their spec sheets. I'd wager good money on a P1 taking the lead on a power track with plenty of straights and high speed sweepers, whereas I'd place my bets on the 918 at any low speed, small radius corner-intensive track... like Laguna Seca.

I'd be happy to own any of the big three. Wouldn't be able to choose one over the other if I had to.
Not surprised, I'd expect the 918 to be faster than the laferrari too. And I think Ferrari knows this too. Why else would they claim their best performance car ever isn't about speed or lap times? LOL!
I guess when porsche is willing to just willing give a car and McLaren and Ferrari have to send only a specific car with multiple sets of tires and a team of engineers it shows you who is confident and who is not.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 07:10 PM   #13
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

It's not really a confidence thing. Porsche is the underdog of the 3 (least power, most weight) so coming into these comparisons they have the most to gain and the least to lose. If the 918 lost, it wouldn't hurt its reputation at all because that's what most people would expect. On Anglesey the P1 beat the 918 by over 1 second and it honestly didn't change the way I look at the 918 at all, it's still a beast.

I expected the P1 to be the fastest out of the 3 on a track, but nothing compares to the NA V12 in the LaFerrari.
      03-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #14
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
It's not really a confidence thing. Porsche is the underdog of the 3 (least power, most weight) so coming into these comparisons they have the most to gain and the least to lose. If the 918 lost, it wouldn't hurt its reputation at all because that's what most people would expect. On Anglesey the P1 beat the 918 by over 1 second and it honestly didn't change the way I look at the 918 at all, it's still a beast.

I expected the P1 to be the fastest out of the 3 on a track, but nothing compares to the NA V12 in the LaFerrari.
The P1 initially lost to the 918 a Angelsey. Then McLaren sent the stickiest set of tires and ran more laps. Had the 918 been fitted with the same tires and given more laps it would have again beaten the P1.
The thing I find amazing is that even with a team who is setting the P1 up for that specific track as they did here at Laguna Seca, it still lost whereas Porsche didn't have to adjust the car at all. I'm sure if Porsche sent a team to dial the suspension in like they did the P1, it would have won by even more.
Also remember that the 918 was the first on the 3 to come out, and its the most impressive combination of calibration and technology of the 3. It's the one car that will shape cars and super cars of the future, neither the P1 or LaFerrari will do that.
The Porsche has been noted for its superior drivability too over the P1. The P1 is said to be much more of a handful. I'd imagine the LaFerrari is much of the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 09:57 PM   #15
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Lol, nevermind the P1, the 918 will likely beat the MP430...almost. 2015 ain't McLaren's year.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:48 PM   #16
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revcrazy
Quote:

The P1 initially lost to the 918 a Angelsey. Then McLaren sent the stickiest set of tires and ran more laps. Had the 918 been fitted with the same tires and given more laps it would have again beaten the P1.
The thing I find amazing is that even with a team who is setting the P1 up for that specific track as they did here at Laguna Seca, it still lost whereas Porsche didn't have to adjust the car at all. I'm sure if Porsche sent a team to dial the suspension in like they did the P1, it would have won by even more.
Also remember that the 918 was the first on the 3 to come out, and its the most impressive combination of calibration and technology of the 3. It's the one car that will shape cars and super cars of the future, neither the P1 or LaFerrari will do that.
The Porsche has been noted for its superior drivability too over the P1. The P1 is said to be much more of a handful. I'd imagine the LaFerrari is much of the same.
Those tires are offered by McLaren so I don't see what's wrong with that, and they used the same ones at Laguna.

Lol wow again with the should've, could've, would've. Both Porsche and Mclaren adjusted tire pressures at Laguna and the article says nothing else about what McLaren engineers did so I don't know why your assuming things. It's clear the main reason is Porsche winning is its AWD, because he did sound a lot more impressed with the P1. Either way, can't go wrong with any of the 3.
      03-24-2015, 05:11 AM   #17
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ferrari is the loser among high-end sports cars. Built only for "wannabe racer" posers "look-at-me-I'm-rich". Ferrari is the second most overrated brand after Tesla.

The 918 Spyder shows how well the NSX will perform. The NSX has the same tech but at one third the price, 2 third the performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #18
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
Ferrari is the loser among high-end sports cars. Built only for "wannabe racer" posers "look-at-me-I'm-rich". Ferrari is the second most overrated brand after Tesla.

The 918 Spyder shows how well the NSX will perform. The NSX has the same tech but at one third the price, 2 third the performance.
Ok buddy..
      03-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #19
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Ok buddy..
He basically described his dream car (LFA) in the second sentence of his post.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #20
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
He basically described his dream car (LFA) in the second sentence of his post.
How is the LFA overrated? Overpriced sure. Those two descriptors are pretty close to being entirely separate to me.

Now, if you meant the RC-F, I would totally agree with you. That car is both overpriced AND overrated.
      03-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #21
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I think the track makes all the impact in the world. Laguna Seca would put the LaFerrari at a disadvantage even with their sleazy (or unfair, to be nicer with wording) track prep crew setting things up.

It would be great to see these cars at a track like Road America or somewhere with high speed bends where they can flex all of their muscle and aero tricks.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #22
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
I think the track makes all the impact in the world. Laguna Seca would put the LaFerrari at a disadvantage even with their sleazy (or unfair, to be nicer with wording) track prep crew setting things up.

It would be great to see these cars at a track like Road America or somewhere with high speed bends where they can flex all of their muscle and aero tricks.
It would be great to see a few tracks run head to head but with no teams, no engineers, no set up. Just run with what you come with right from the factory...and that is where the P1 and LaFerrari will be at a distinct disadvantage since their performance seems to reliant on being set up a certain way, particularly the Ferrari.
As far as results go now, the 918 seems to be leading the pack since they still have the fastest Ring time (and for some reason McLaren release a time, likely because theyre slower), it beat the P1 initially at Angelsey and no beat it handily despite being at a disadvantage at Laguna Seca.

My guess is, we will never see a three way head to head...especially one without Ferrari sending half the F1 team to support it.
Appreciate 0