XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6

Dealer voided my warranty

Yesterday I brought my car to the dealer for service.
I mentioned to them that I noticed my rear wheels are slightly slanted, and asked them to take a look for me.
The service rep told me that I have curb marks on my wheels, so they cannot check for me without a cost.
Basically, my suspension warranty is void (?!) .

Umm... I didn't know a few curb marks can void the entire suspension warranty..
I guess it's time for me to lower my X6. Warranty was the only reason holding me back from the upgrade.

Right now, I am looking at the H&R springs.
Do you guys recommend 2.0/1.2 or 1.2/1.2?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Andrey
Average Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i, Gone 2011 BMW 550i,

if I were you, i would go to a different BMW Center, or call the corporate office !!
It id not reasonable that they void your warranty because of the scratched rim.
My other thought is that they did not void your warranty, its that whatever you were asking for is not ordinary and therefore requires extra labor so they told you to pay for it. Did they explicitly state that your warranty is void due to curb rashes on the wheel???
I doubt that, it sounds like a conclusion that you came to.
From what i know is that any modification to a car with an aftermarket parts void your warranty!!!
beszt of luck!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
if I were you, i would go to a different BMW Center, or call the corporate office !!
It id not reasonable that they void your warranty because of the scratched rim.
My other thought is that they did not void your warranty, its that whatever you were asking for is not ordinary and therefore requires extra labor so they told you to pay for it. Did they explicitly state that your warranty is void due to curb rashes on the wheel???
I doubt that, it sounds like a conclusion that you came to.
From what i know is that any modification to a car with an aftermarket parts void your warranty!!!
beszt of luck!!!
Hi Andrey, thanks for the comment.

After the service rep made the comment, I did restate: "So does that mean my suspension warranty is void?". He replied yes.
I don't think my request was unreasonable, I just asked them to do a quick checkup whether anything looks wrong with the suspension (maybe simple eyeballing).

I understand that modification to the suspension can void the warranty. I came to this decision after knowing that they are voiding my warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
Andrey
Average Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i, Gone 2011 BMW 550i,

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerrantoss View Post
Hi Andrey, thanks for the comment.

After the service rep made the comment, I did restate: "So does that mean my suspension warranty is void?". He replied yes.
I don't think my request was unreasonable, I just asked them to do a quick checkup whether anything looks wrong with the suspension (maybe simple eyeballing).

I understand that modification to the suspension can void the warranty. I came to this decision after knowing that they are voiding my warranty.
So did they tell you why they voided the warranty? The reason i am so curious, is because i am planning on buying an X5 CPO, i would think there would be a solid reason other then just curb rash.
How much time/miles do you have left till warranty expires on you? It sounds like you don't care much for it
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
MadJay8
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Dealer Warranty

I agree with the above thread -- go to a different Dealer. Curb rash does not void the warranty -- if you dropped in a few potholes and broke your control arm it's still cover. With the warranty BMW new or CPO -- only thing you are responsible for is gas and tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

That is BS. They can't void it for that.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Yes.. That's why I was upset and ranted a little on the forum. I do apologize about that.

I will be calling the customer relationship center to get more details. Most likely they will not void my warranty because this is so unreasonable.
The service advisor seemed to be in a hurry to get rid of me (4PM, maybe in a hurry to go home?)

Andrey: yes, I don't really care about the suspension warranty, since I plan to lower the X6 with H&R anyways. The purpose of this thread is to rant a little, and asking for advise about lowering height (1.2 vs 2.0)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Any chance you can post a picture of your rims?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

What a load of bullcr*p! They know that people curb their wheels; that's why they push wheel and tire warranties. Perhaps they are skulking around on all the W&TW claims and voiding all their suspension warranties!

Anyhow, from your 'curb rash' does it somehow appear that the car was in an accident? "Randomly grazing curbs in normal driving" should be covered under your warranty since, well, its normal. However, "going sideways over a median because a truck was changing into your lane" isn't.

You should dig deeper with your SA, and if you don't get anywhere with him, talk to the service manager.

I don't put a lot of miles on my car (<9k/yr), but my SA knows that I'm no sissy with it. I go over speed bumps "faster than is advisable". Does that void the warranty on my struts? Like, no.

One thing that WAS laughable though was this: my battery in my '11 X5 died after less than one year. When he came back with the car he said that I would only get one 'courtesy replacement' because I had driven (like over 250) trips of less than 5 miles in the last 60 days (all the computer kept track of) and that the car was not designed to do that. WHAT? I said: My '03 X5 did that just fine for 7 yrs, thank you very much and you'll keep my car starting without telling me that my car was not designed to drive.
Appreciate 0