XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
Nick Daffern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5MC

Nav Display and HUD Auto Dim?

It doesn't appear that either the Nav display or the Head Up display auto dim. You'd think they would be tied into the day/night sensor that the headlights use. When I select the night display in Nav Settings the night view remains on regardless of the external lighting conditions, and the only way to dim the HUD is manually in Settings.

Just checking to see if I'm missing something. If not, it sure would be nice if BMW changed this situation in a software update.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
finagle69
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 4.8i

While yours is newer, my 08's nav and HUD behave the same way. At least you have a night mode!

What I do is use the thumb wheel by the headlight switch. It dims ALL the interior lighting, but it dims the nav and HUD (I think) as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
cajunrider
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

You are correct that the day night mode is independent of the light sensor. But, you can program one of the numbered buttons that are normally used to remember radio stations to toggle between day and night mode. Just go to the setting to change the mode and press and hold a button, I use button 6. From that point on it will toggle the setting for you. I know it should be automatic but at least this is a short cut to accomplish the change. The buttons can actually be programed for any action on the controller.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Nick Daffern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5MC

That's good to know. Thanks for the info. Strange they didn't make this feature automatic.
Appreciate 0