XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

01-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Zigor911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Looking to lower my X6 with H&R springs

Wonder if folks that have done it, run into any issues with alignment, bushings, warranty?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

OP for what it's worth HR there have been many that are happy with the adjustments the springs have done. I have also heard that it can be at times very bumpy in he rear.

Have you looked at Dinan's suspension for the x6? For the money it's really a great mod. I have Dinan on my X5M. It may not as aggressive a drop, but it was well engineered and really made the car handle much better with no sacrifice in ride handling.

There are several threads on HR and Dinan. I suggest googling or going through the forums before making a decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
Zigor911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3
OP for what it's worth HR there have been many that are happy with the adjustments the springs have done. I have also heard that it can be at times very bumpy in he rear.

Have you looked at Dinan's suspension for the x6? For the money it's really a great mod. I have Dinan on my X5M. It may not as aggressive a drop, but it was well engineered and really made the car handle much better with no sacrifice in ride handling.

There are several threads on HR and Dinan. I suggest googling or going through the forums before making a decision.
I don't believe there is Dinan suspension kit for X6 non M model - at least not listed on their site
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

I would read this thread (X5 50i, same question assuming you have self-leveling) and the thread I linked in the last post. http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931988

I'm very happy with the H&Rs myself (but there's a fair amount to the story.) No issues with alignment or suspension components - aligns within factory specs, yadda yadda.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 06:35 AM   #5
Zigor911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you for info. The shop I talked to (they are solid bmw, merc mechanics, but not tuners ) made me think about:
1) camber and alignment. According to them, not much room for adjustment on front - only replacing arms with different minutes. Will wear tires sooner - in summer I'm on 21 inches with 325 in rear...
2) OE shocks will be compressed a bit and will be working longer in a position that were. not designed for per say - may fail sooner
3) bushings may need to be re-tightened, and/or may wear sooner
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
FrstBmr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigor911 View Post
I don't believe there is Dinan suspension kit for X6 non M model - at least not listed on their site
Here is the link to the Dinan site that has everything they offer for the X6M including the suspension drop.

http://dinancars.com/products/?series=X-series&model=x6 m-e71&mid=1136

This is what I will be doing soon to mine.
      01-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
rennis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
1) camber and alignment. According to them, not much room for adjustment on front - only replacing arms with different minutes. Will wear tires sooner - in summer I'm on 21 inches with 325 in rear...
2) OE shocks will be compressed a bit and will be working longer in a position that were. not designed for per say - may fail sooner
Regarding alignment, with the drop there is enough adjustability to keep it within factory specs - shouldn't see a change in tire wear with a good alignment

On #2 - probably only an issue with the front shocks - rears are air bags and shouldn't affect them. I've not seen anyone complain of premature wear on front shocks because of a drop on a X5 or X6.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
Zigor911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrstBmr
Quote:
Here is the link to the Dinan site that has everything they offer for the X6M including the suspension drop.

http://dinancars.com/products/?series=X-series&model=x6 m-e71&mid=1136

This is what I will be doing soon to mine.
Right, this kit for X6M, I have X6 with rear self leveling. Not sure if it would fit
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #9
Zigor911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennis
Quote:
Regarding alignment, with the drop there is enough adjustability to keep it within factory specs - shouldn't see a change in tire wear with a good alignment

On #2 - probably only an issue with the front shocks - rears are air bags and shouldn't affect them. I've not seen anyone complain of premature wear on front shocks because of a drop on a X5 or X6.
Thank you for the input!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #10
rennis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the input!
you're welcome. I was thinking about this thread when I was driving this morning and I will say that if anything, my feeling about the H&Rs is they feel almost too stock. I actually wish they were firmer, as I'm used to my lowered vehicles feeling much stiffer. They should have increased the spring rates, if you ask me.

If you want a drop with OEM feel and handling, these are great. If you're looking for a stiffer feel and less body roll, coilovers are the way to go. Just really hard to justify removing the air suspension and override the adaptive drive for coilovers if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #11
Zigor911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for the input!
you're welcome. I was thinking about this thread when I was driving this morning and I will say that if anything, my feeling about the H&Rs is they feel almost too stock. I actually wish they were firmer, as I'm used to my lowered vehicles feeling much stiffer. They should have increased the spring rates, if you ask me.

If you want a drop with OEM feel and handling, these are great. If you're looking for a stiffer feel and less body roll, coilovers are the way to go. Just really hard to justify removing the air suspension and override the adaptive drive for coilovers if you ask me.
Yes, agreed. H&R is what I'd go with. Everything else is overpriced overkill
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #12
Zigor911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for the input!

So, it seams getting rear right is key. Interesting to note: AC Schnitzer has lowering kits for x6, and they make different springs for v6 and v8 models (different weight - so makes sense). But they do not supply rear links - per their installation instructions, rear lowered by coding only. Their kit drops car by 30mm.

H&R has the same kit for v6 and v8 models. V8 owners report that the drop is more than advertised 1.2 inch - more like 1.5-1.8 inch which is 38-45mm.

So, coding is a must, but do I need rear links? And how adjust them if rear gets bouncy? Any suggestions? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 05:15 PM   #13
FrstBmr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M

Quote:
Right, this kit for X6M, I have X6 with rear self leveling. Not sure if it would fit
My bad. I miss read it, thought you had an M.
      03-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #14
zibo.rao
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

The H&R spring wouldn't work in your rear wheels due to the fact that you have self-leveling. I think the self- leveling come with some kind of air spring in the rear. I have my X5 50i done with H&R spring at first, but it since to wear out my shocks a lot faster. Then I pair it up with Bilstein B8 shocks (the only shocks available that could fit with lower spring on an E7X), but the ride quality is just harsh. However, my combination does make it better while braking and cornering, but you will feel everything on the road. Try learn from my mistake, stay with stock set up or go with a coilover kit such as KW V3.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 02:17 AM   #15
6lacksheep
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X6M

Hey guys, quick question, dont want to jack the thread or anything. But does anyone know if a 2012 X6 35i has self leveling?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #16
Zigor911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Had the kit installed, and ride was ok... Had to visit to local dealer for different reason, and they also adjusted the height setting for rear suspension via computer - made it so much better!!! Awesome!!!
Appreciate 0