XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-16-2023, 04:55 AM   #1
LeonardCohen
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71

Air Conditioning Condensate Drain Pipe

Hi, UK owner here.

(posting here following no response in the X6 forum - I'm thinking that the process and location for the components is the same regardless for both cars)

I've a 2014 X6 40d which has always had a damp interior since I've owned it. I've checked every drain (no sunroof), replaced every door seal and checked all the vapour barriers but never found a solution.

A while ago it occurred to me that I had never seen a pool of water beneath the car when I've parked after using the air conditioning. Studying that further I can confirm that it isn't draining outside the car and is (I think) running into the interior. The water I find pooling beneath the carpets is always clean, doesn't taste or smell of anything, which lines up. What also lines up is that when I've been able to dry the carpets before during the summer, the damp always comes from the front and spreads towards the back - coming from around the start of the transmission tunnel beneath the dash.

So - my options are:

* Dismantle the interior to get to the rear of the aircon controls and beneath, where I think I will find a drain 'pipe' above a rubber bung which is meant to collect the water and pass it by gravity into a pipe which goes through the floorpan and exits beneath the car. Maybe (hopefully) I'd find that something has dislodged or become blocked, preventing that draining, and making it spill into the car. I can't find a decent drawing of the parts on RealOEM, but if anyone can link to a diagram or picture that would be appreciated.

or

* Get beneath the car and try and find the other end of that pipe to see if I can blow air up it and remove any blockage. However, I can't get the car very high in the air (9" ramps are all I have) and I'm not entirely sure where it comes out (although common sense would put it at roughly above the gearbox - who knows if it's visible though).

What do we think? I suppose I'm trying to avoid ripping the interior apart but suspect I may have to. Does anyone have a thread of doing a similar strip? I think I need to start with the centre console and work forwards towards the dash but I'm not sure. I also think it may be a front seats out job?

Any help much appreciated. I'm fairly hands on with cars and don't mind complex jobs but I HATE working on interior trim and so if I'm going to do it, I want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Thanks

LC
Appreciate 0