XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-25-2017, 08:02 PM   #1
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Megan Race owners check in please

I recently installed a Megan Race exhaust. It's a couple decibels louder than stock so the sound is whatever, not in the same league as the name brand, lol not even the same sport.

With that said, how f'in loud are your turbos?? I have a tune and when I'm in M and sport mode, WOT, I can't even hear the exhaust over the turbos sucking air. It's so loud I thought I had an exhaust leak and sure enough the techs at Megan confirmed it was the turbos. That and I ran it for a week without the tune and no noise. When I put the tune back on it sounds INSANE. I've always talked Trash about Megan and I still feel the same way, shit quality for this level vehicle but OMG the turbo sound is worth 10x's the price tag. Anyone else have this situation?
      04-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
e36bmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Revolving door of BMWs

Is the rest of your exhaust stock? I have gutted DPs and some pretty good turbo noise in M mode, but it just isn't loud enough for me. I've been thinking about doing something else and have considered adding the Megan muffler. For my old cayenne I had a custom 3" turbo back with only a very light muffler and it was pretty loud.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 10:51 PM   #3
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36bmer View Post
Is the rest of your exhaust stock? I have gutted DPs and some pretty good turbo noise in M mode, but it just isn't loud enough for me. I've been thinking about doing something else and have considered adding the Megan muffler. For my old cayenne I had a custom 3" turbo back with only a very light muffler and it was pretty loud.

Yes! That's the noise! Under load and at wot it sounds 10x louder. I wish it had more of a whistle like a supercharger but I guess they all can't be winners. Lol

I'm stock with Megan and tune. It's great. I still dot like Megan, for example, the exhaust tips. They look like aluminum foil they're so thin. But I always have to go back to the turbo sound. On my $4K Eisenmann Race I had a fantastic exhaust note but no turbo noise. Here, it's almost no exhaust note but so much turbo they should almost change the marketing to accentuate the turbo noise not the half ass exhaust notes. With all due respect to Megan.
      04-27-2017, 04:17 AM   #4
black1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Pure Metal M6GC

Interesting to hear from someone who had the eisenmann before. I got my ride with the megan already installed and added the tune after. Always thought it sounded insane on wot with the turbos and don't think I'd want to lose that sound
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
e36bmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Revolving door of BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
Yes! That's the noise! Under load and at wot it sounds 10x louder. I wish it had more of a whistle like a supercharger but I guess they all can't be winners. Lol

I'm stock with Megan and tune. It's great. I still dot like Megan, for example, the exhaust tips. They look like aluminum foil they're so thin. But I always have to go back to the turbo sound. On my $4K Eisenmann Race I had a fantastic exhaust note but no turbo noise. Here, it's almost no exhaust note but so much turbo they should almost change the marketing to accentuate the turbo noise not the half ass exhaust notes. With all due respect to Megan.
I have been a bit skeptical about the tips on the Megan exhaust. I think I'll just try to get an exhaust shop to cut out my muffler and do a straight pipe and tips, all in due time though.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #6
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by black1 View Post
Interesting to hear from someone who had the eisenmann before. I got my ride with the megan already installed and added the tune after. Always thought it sounded insane on wot with the turbos and don't think I'd want to lose that sound
Haha I drove my friend in it yesterday and on wot he blushed and said why are the turbos so damn loud?? Lol

Which actually I guess Velos deserves some credit for as well. Without the tune nothing, and with the tune it sounds like what I'm thinking it would sound if you opened a window on a 747 at cruising speed.
      04-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #7
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

So...DO buy the Megan?

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #8
kurtisss
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

So is it the velos tune that is making the turbo noise or the Megan muffler? I always thought I'd need to install Downpipes in order to hear the loud turbo spook. Love that sound, post a video I wanna hear how it sounds.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #9
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
So...DO buy the Megan?
If you want pure quality exhaust sound buy an Eisenmann. If you're on a budget and don't mind crap quality buy the Megan. In all fairness the turbo noise makes up for the crap quality so it's an even wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtisss View Post
So is it the velos tune that is making the turbo noise or the Megan muffler? I always thought I'd need to install Downpipes in order to hear the loud turbo spook. Love that sound, post a video I wanna hear how it sounds.
Yeah it's got to be the tune. I took the tune off for smog reasons and with out the tune it was just the Megan exhaust sound. When I put the tune back on it was bananas.
      04-29-2017, 05:11 AM   #10
koontek
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 M

I have down pipes , tune , megan exhaust with carbon fiber tips. The sound is okay .. its not loud enough to be annoying but its not loud enough to sound super sporty. I just drove a range rover SVR and it sounded AMAZING stock. did a lot of popping and crackling when you hit the exhaust button. I wish the X5 M came like that stock.
Appreciate 0