XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
Lucabratsi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M

Any way to get auto trasmission downshift when in Manual?

Hello,

Just gave my nice 328 service loaner back, and i noticed when you are in manual mode, say 5th or 6th gear, if you mash the gas pedal, the trans down shifts into a lower gear, and go directly from 6th or 5th to 3rd. On my M, when in 6th gear manual mode, if you need a quick downshift to 3rd and you mash the gas, it stays in 6th. Is there a setting for this?

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
itsme123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

I am the resident smarty pants, so Please keep that in mind when I say this: REALLY!?!?!?!?!?!? SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?!?

Ok, now that I got that out of the way. A manual is a manual. You suppose to tell it what to do and only do what you tell it. Not suppose to be doing things on it's own....like down shifting when you mash on the gas pedal. That is an automatic. Well....in this case when I say manual, it only applies to choices of gears in the automatic transmission in the X6M.....which is very, very, very ugly.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6

Some manual modes aren't really "manual".
For example, on a Mercedes C-class, when you go into "manual mode", it just limits the gear to that number.

Say, if you put it to 3rd gears, the car will still automatically shifts between gear 1, 2, and 3. It simply "limits" the highest gear to 3rd gear.
In this case, when you mash the gas pedal, it still has the freedom to down-shift.

On a manual transmission design, like itsme123 said, a 3rd gear is a 3rd gear. It will not go to 1 nor 2.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

Imagine the OP had it over in Sport vice Manual...just pushed shifter to the left, but never manually shifted to get it in "manual" mode.
      08-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
blkx6
Rep
Drives: x6

You can always shift to highest possible gear in any mode by just smashing the gas pedal far enough to hit the kick down button.
Press the gas pedal all the way until you feel you pressed the button
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkx6 View Post
You can always shift to lowest possible gear in any mode by just smashing the gas pedal far enough to hit the kick down button.
I dont think it works for all cars
I had X5 35i loaner just recently and kickdown worked in MT mode (this is how i always drive)
However, it wont do anything on mine
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
watoowatoo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 35i X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
I dont think it works for all cars
I had X5 35i loaner just recently and kickdown worked in MT mode (this is how i always drive)
However, it wont do anything on mine
Thanks for the correction on the quote, yes I meant lowest gear. If so it's also nice to see on M models manual mode is manual no matter what!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
Lucabratsi
Private
Rep

[QUOTE=blkx6;12471053]You can always shift to highest possible gear in any mode by just smashing the gas pedal far enough to hit the kick down button.

Is there a kick down button on the X6M that works in manual mode? I got under the pedal for a look, and there is a button which actually presses the back of the pedal for a clicking action. I know purists want a manual mode to be manual, but shifting this 6 speed trans from 6th to third with either the paddles or the shift knob is ackward and slow. Again I realy liked the shift down on the 328 loaner, if you are in 6th and need a quick shift to 3rd to go around an obsticle, it downsifts and then stays there until you shift up.
I totaly agree with zerrantoss and the mercedes paddle shifters being more useful when in normal drive mode. When in normal drive, you can limit the maximum gear. I find it annoying for the M to shift into 6th at 45mph. So mostly I find myself driving in S mode. But the shift points are up in the 4K rpm.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
blkx6
Rep
Drives: x6

[QUOTE=Lucabratsi;12510354]
Quote:
You can always shift to highest possible gear in any mode by just smashing the gas pedal far enough to hit the kick down button.

Is there a kick down button on the X6M that works in manual mode? I got under the pedal for a look, and there is a button which actually presses the back of the pedal for a clicking action. I know purists want a manual mode to be manual, but shifting this 6 speed trans from 6th to third with either the paddles or the shift knob is ackward and slow. Again I realy liked the shift down on the 328 loaner, if you are in 6th and need a quick shift to 3rd to go around an obsticle, it downsifts and then stays there until you shift up.
I totaly agree with zerrantoss and the mercedes paddle shifters being more useful when in normal drive mode. When in normal drive, you can limit the maximum gear. I find it annoying for the M to shift into 6th at 45mph. So mostly I find myself driving in S mode. But the shift points are up in the 4K rpm.
You try it and let us know if it's same on the M
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
[QUOTE=blkx6;12510993]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucabratsi View Post

You try it and let us know if it's same on the M
No,
It will NOT downshift in M mode
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
Lucabratsi
Private
Rep

[QUOTE=AndreyATC;12514221]
Quote:
No,
It will NOT downshift in M mode
Yes, that is correct. I will be finding out if there is a way to have the shift points in "D" raised so that 6th gear is not used until 55 or 60mph. The existing 45mph is way to low.
Also will try to see if I can reprogram the shifting in "D" to work like a limit, similar to MB.
Appreciate 0