XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-20-2023, 09:37 AM   #1
Dave00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5M

Battery Recommendation - X5M?

Guys,

Need a quick recommendation for a replacement battery? I have a 13' X5M and looks like my battery is starting to get weak/fail as I'm getting a Battery Drain error when coming out to the car in the mornings and my charger/maintainer is showing a weak battery/fault. Battery was replaced at dealer (by previous owner) back in May of 18', so might be time. Just need a recommendation for a replacement brand/model and I do have ProTool as well, so I can properly code the battery when replacing. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 10:10 AM   #2
Attacking Mid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46, e53, e83, e70

That's pretty short life for a battery in a BMW unless they under-sized it. Batteries are essentially commodities, so I wouldn't worry about brands. A Walmart battery is essentially the same as a Genuine BMW battery.

I put in the largest capacity battery I can fit (usually an H9) and buy it from somewhere that turns their inventory regularly. A battery is "on the clock" as soon as it's filled, so you don't want one that's been sitting on the shelf getting dusty for a year. AGM batteries are now not much more expensive than regular LA, so I would go that way. Be sure to fully charge it before installation.

AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 03:21 PM   #3
Dave00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attacking Mid View Post
That's pretty short life for a battery in a BMW unless they under-sized it. Batteries are essentially commodities, so I wouldn't worry about brands. A Walmart battery is essentially the same as a Genuine BMW battery.

I put in the largest capacity battery I can fit (usually an H9) and buy it from somewhere that turns their inventory regularly. A battery is "on the clock" as soon as it's filled, so you don't want one that's been sitting on the shelf getting dusty for a year. AGM batteries are now not much more expensive than regular LA, so I would go that way. Be sure to fully charge it before installation.

AM.
I agree on the life, but the battery (from the Dealer Docs) appears to be the correct one - 92AH (612010) - BMW part #61-21-2-353-812, but I assume this is a traditional LA battery? If I went with an AGM what Brand/part # do you think would be best? I have an AGM (Redtop Optima) in my TransAm and just had to replace it as it finally started getting weak under load after 9 years.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 05:11 PM   #4
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave00 View Post
I agree on the life, but the battery (from the Dealer Docs) appears to be the correct one - 92AH (612010) - BMW part #61-21-2-353-812, but I assume this is a traditional LA battery? If I went with an AGM what Brand/part # do you think would be best? I have an AGM (Redtop Optima) in my TransAm and just had to replace it as it finally started getting weak under load after 9 years.
go to AutoZone and get a Duralast H9 AGM, platinum, 3 yr warranty. Get it coded to your car (use bimmerlink app its cheap and easy), and then register the batter with their other app, Bimmercode, then put in your calendar prior to the 3 yr expiration, take it and replace (free) and restart the process over and over..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 08:02 AM   #5
Attacking Mid
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave00 View Post
I agree on the life, but the battery (from the Dealer Docs) appears to be the correct one - 92AH (612010) - BMW part #61-21-2-353-812, but I assume this is a traditional LA battery? If I went with an AGM what Brand/part # do you think would be best?
That BMW battery was an AGM. Battery life can be a crapshoot. The last battery I bought was this exact one: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...e+95R+H9&pos=0

At the time, they had a coupon for 20% off, so it was the best price I could find at the time. But shop around as it's not necessarily the best deal right now.

AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 07:32 PM   #6
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

The H9 seems like the bee's knees, but is the fitment going to be a problem vs. the H8? Am I going to have to stretch some cables?

I have the Foxwell 510 Elite to do the coding. Anything I need to know on that front?

--------------

Background: the X5M is a winter beater, rarely over 14mi trips, mostly around town. Battery is 26 months old, just outside of the OEM battery warranty. I have it on a Noco Genius 10 tender/charger. Advance Auto said it just needs a charge. My Uniden R3 says "Low Battery" every time start the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 07:10 PM   #7
Attacking Mid
Enlisted Member
Rep

Later E70's battery boxes were designed to accommodate the H9 battery. My late 2010 model was not. I had to modify my box, though I can't recall what I did exactly. It wasn't anything major. Cables had plenty of reach.

AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 02:09 PM   #8
Dave00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the suggestions. I hooked it up to a maintainer and let it cycle for a few days and it's now not showing any issues. I haven't had the Battery Drain indicator/warning show up since and I'm hoping it was just a little low from sitting and short trips. I get it out more now to ensure the alternator has some time to top it back off. Fingers crossed as I should get a few more years out of this battery.
Appreciate 0