XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

10-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #23
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Let's put things into realistic perspective and not get carried away with wild and rosy expectations. This guy is an ex technical director at Ferrari. I doubt he will become BMWs next visionary and dictate future model lineups and creative decisions, bring back V10's, reinvigorate the brand, ... Sounds like just another redtape beaurecrat (?) to me, and will probably be dealing with some very specific behind the scenes minutiae, pertaining to production efficiencies.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #24
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Agree with prior comments, this can only be a signal of something big, and probably not just one car/model, either

As I mentioned in my prior comments about the ex-Audi guy, clearly a different strategic direction is being sought which has not been provided by internal resources. The ///M division seems to be in focus here and weak sales of ///M cars as a whole (particularly M5 /M6) and the lack of a divisional "halo effect" on BMW being perceived as the ultimate driving machine seems to be at play. Glad the company can recognize what many have been saying for a while now and here's hoping for better things to come! Probably will not be the end of the talent poaching either.
True. I think big changes are on the horizon. An AWD/hybrid assisted setup (Im thinking 918/LaF/etc type mentality) could be awesome.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold

Last edited by jc05e46m3; 10-08-2014 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #25
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Forget the M performance.
Hope they change it the F performance.
Oh wait..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #26
Drew10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Hope he brings Ferrari sound to the BMW lineup
I hear ya.
      10-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #27
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

guys nothing is going to change. its not like this guy has a bunch of secrets that BMW cant figure out. hes just another great guy that they hired.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #28
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
guys nothing is going to change. its not like this guy has a bunch of secrets that BMW cant figure out. hes just another great guy that they hired.
It's more about philosophy and beliefs. Everyone knows how to build fast cars, that's not a secret. But there are different methods to building fast cars. It doesn't hurt to have another influential person at BMW who isn't interested in BMW becoming the next Toyota. This guy (presumably) has a genuine passion for cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #29
MCoupeInsanity
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWAELBILAL View Post
Thank u now I understand but one more question
Its going to stay a BMW motor and BMW made and BMW strength right
They are bringing two guys from other places. They aren't *becoming* Ferrari or Audi. Use your head, man.
      10-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #30
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Lots of cynicism in this thread. It's hard to see this as a bad thing, yet there's plenty of "ho-hum, same ol' same ol'" going on in here. I won't go so far as breathless enthusiasm, but Roberto Fedeli was Chief Engineer at Ferrari. Characterizing him as a "redtape bureaucrat" is a little unfair, to say the least.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that one man has the power to suddenly turn everything we know about BMW's recent trends on it's head, but it's hard to see this as a bad thing. BMW is not Ferrari, obviously, but there is overlap in shared values. BMW espouses the brand character of a company that is focused on the driving experience. Hiring the former Chief of Engineering from a company that is easily in the top 5 driver-focused automobile manufacturers on the planet can't be a bad thing, can it?
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #31
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

So when do I get my V12 3-series?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #32
ammar23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 328i (LCI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3
Agree with prior comments, this can only be a signal of something big, and probably not just one car/model, either

As I mentioned in my prior comments about the ex-Audi guy, clearly a different strategic direction is being sought which has not been provided by internal resources. The ///M division seems to be in focus here and weak sales of ///M cars as a whole (particularly M5 /M6) and the lack of a divisional "halo effect" on BMW being perceived as the ultimate driving machine seems to be at play. Glad the company can recognize what many have been saying for a while now and here's hoping for better things to come! Probably will not be the end of the talent poaching either.
Me 2
Change is on the horizon, I'm excited
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #33
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post

I'm wondering why that has been that the M division cars aren't selling as well. One would think that being able to get a "m sport" package has sort of cannibalized it's own M sales. To many if it looks like an M it must be an M. It's difficult today to tell apart a 435i M sport vs an M4. How many purists or must have real M cars are out there compared to casual BMW lovers that are more then happy with M performance goods rather the actual pure thing.

Not saying in all cases but some, the actual raw M cars may be too much for some people on public roads. Of course these are just my opinions. So to most well "I'll take the 435 m sport it looks great like an M4" fits the bill. And trust me your neighbor won't know the difference either.

Regardless in either case BMW is addressing certain issues/complaints and has hired two smoking guns to lead the way into the future.

We shall see very soon.

Last edited by Jadar; 10-08-2014 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #34
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHL
ex-Audi Quattro guy + ex-Ferrari guy = BMW's ///M1 successor to celebrate its centenary!!!
that makes sense!!!
I was just thinking he'd be lead engineer of the M1 project or something.
We're all thinking the same thing, I hope BMW are thinking what we're all thinking...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #35
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Now, that is really cool. Perhaps he can mix up a special batch of red paint.
      10-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #36
Hockey Guy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i, X5 35d

I would think it's too late for these two to have any major impact on the 100-year project, which is probably just a much larger engine in the i8 to create the i9 (itself a tempting prospect). Creating an M1 successor would probably take longer, say 2018?

To me, this is about M setting itself up for the next 10 years, which if true, we should all applaud.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #37
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post

Not saying in all cases but some, the actual raw M cars may be too much for some people on public roads. Of course these are just my opinions. So to most well "I'll take the 435 m sport it looks great like an M4" fits the bill. And trust me your neighbor won't know the difference either.
That's an interesting thought. In one road test of the M4 there was a comment that questioned why anyone would want a faster car to drive on the street. An M5/M6 is going to be faster in a straight line, but less nimble due to the additional weight.

So perhaps a car like the M5 doesn't need to be faster than an M4. What it might need is to be as fast as an M4 without so much extra mass, and with very high levels of luxury.
      10-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #38
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
That's an interesting thought. In one road test of the M4 there was a comment that questioned why anyone would want a faster car to drive on the street. An M5/M6 is going to be faster in a straight line, but less nimble due to the additional weight.

So perhaps a car like the M5 doesn't need to be faster than an M4. What it might need is to be as fast as an M4 without so much extra mass, and with very high levels of luxury.
Well, yes and no. There are firm limits (legally) to the extents one can, err... uh... "enjoy" a car on a public roadway. But this has never stopped upper-middle-class enthusiasts from buying cars that far exceed these limits.

Then again, maybe there is a limit somewhere well above the legal limit which buyers contemplate against the additional cost. The x35i line of cars with 300 HP turbocharged I6 engines are more than enough to upset my wife to the point of crying My M3 might as well be a chainsaw wielding psycho as far as she's concerned. I made the choice to get the M-car in spite of this, but I could see plenty of people deciding it simply isn't worth the money. I'm sure that there are a group of buyers for whom the appearance of performance, along with the ability of a balanced-performance chassis and engine offers a better value proposition than an all out M-car.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #39
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Well, yes and no. There are firm limits (legally) to the extents one can, err... uh... "enjoy" a car on a public roadway. But this has never stopped upper-middle-class enthusiasts from buying cars that far exceed these limits.

Then again, maybe there is a limit somewhere well above the legal limit which buyers contemplate against the additional cost. The x35i line of cars with 300 HP turbocharged I6 engines are more than enough to upset my wife to the point of crying My M3 might as well be a chainsaw wielding psycho as far as she's concerned. I made the choice to get the M-car in spite of this, but I could see plenty of people deciding it simply isn't worth the money. I'm sure that there are a group of buyers for whom the appearance of performance, along with the ability of a balanced-performance chassis and engine offers a better value proposition than an all out M-car.
And that, my friends, is the sweet spot occupied by my M235i (with wife smiling, not crying)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
How many purists or must have real M cars are out there compared to casual BMW lovers that are more then happy with M performance goods rather the actual pure thing.

That seems a rather casual slam against M Performance owners. What makes me any less of a "BMW lover" or "purist" because I didn't buy an M car? In truth the "raw M car" is "too much" for all drivers at least 95% of the time on public roads. On local roads I can get past the posted speed limit in first gear, and it corners like it's on rails. Let's not lapse into "M snobs" or "M Performance poseurs" talk.
      10-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #40
Thurman Murch
Lieutenant
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: M3

Need a rooster in the hen house
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #41
NOcastillo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Sounds like good things are to come from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #42
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
This is super news. I can't wait to see what is spawned from the collaboration of current BMW ppl, an Audi performance guy and now a Ferrari engineer...this should be real good!!! Wow
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #43
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Despite what anyone thinks, the hiring of an ex Ferrari guy and ex Audi guy won't mean much of anything. It surely won't mean that BMW's will suddenly become like either. If anything, BMW seems to be heading more in the direction of Audi with FWD platforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoupeInsanity View Post
They are bringing two guys from other places. They aren't *becoming* Ferrari or Audi. Use your head, man.
This. Anyone who somehow thinks they're just going to go one direction or the other is plain ignorant.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #44
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]