XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-09-2021, 10:25 PM   #1
motosport3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 997S, 2013 BMW X5 35d

Need some advice on 2013 BMW X5 35D

Hey all,

I've had an issue where an oil leak repair has gone awry. Long story short a retaining clip was left in the turbo and it shredded which caused the need for the turbos and intercooler to be replaced. There was still issues after replacement and it was finally identified that the connecting rod in one of the cylinders was bent. The indy has laid out these options for me and I wanted to run it by you all to see what you would suggest or if there are items I should ask or think about.

1) Repair the engine - He thinks w/ the new turbos etc. the engine will be as it was
2) Replace the engine w/ a lower mile engine
3) Pay me $20k for the car.

My car is a 2013 BMW X5 35d ...fully loaded with all the option (3rd row seat, heated steering wheel, running board, sport package). KBB for the vehicle is right over 17k but finding an equivalent vehicle in the used car market is 19k asking. My car has 87k miles.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 08:16 AM   #2
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosport3 View Post
Hey all,

I've had an issue where an oil leak repair has gone awry. Long story short a retaining clip was left in the turbo and it shredded which caused the need for the turbos and intercooler to be replaced. There was still issues after replacement and it was finally identified that the connecting rod in one of the cylinders was bent. The indy has laid out these options for me and I wanted to run it by you all to see what you would suggest or if there are items I should ask or think about.

1) Repair the engine - He thinks w/ the new turbos etc. the engine will be as it was
2) Replace the engine w/ a lower mile engine
3) Pay me $20k for the car.

My car is a 2013 BMW X5 35d ...fully loaded with all the option (3rd row seat, heated steering wheel, running board, sport package). KBB for the vehicle is right over 17k but finding an equivalent vehicle in the used car market is 19k asking. My car has 87k miles.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Who would pay you 20k for an 8-9 year old non running bmw? If you can find such a sucker take the money and run. Retail in these highly inflated days might be 19k. Trade in is 40% below retail for a runner. Since yours is a non runner it’s salvage.

Your engine is toast and with that kind of damage there are no guarantees it’s rebuildable given it had metal derbies in the cylinders. You get in there and may discover you can’t hone the cylinders enough to have a smooth bore from that damage, and your a couple thousand in to fixing an unfixable engine. Skip. Plus damaged other parts, bad oil pump who knows from circulating metal debris. Scored crank and cams?

Your car maybe mechanically totaled. Engine swap would be the way to go to get it running, with new turbos and etc. your looking at 6-10k with labor and parts, which is about 50% of the value of the vehicle. I’d spend the money on a new car. This one is finically won’t make sense to save. A swapped engine car will generally have a lower resale value. Just like having an accident people don’t want to inherit another set of problems.
Appreciate 1
argento538.00
      09-14-2021, 02:09 PM   #3
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
Who would pay you 20k for an 8-9 year old non running bmw? If you can find such a sucker take the money and run. Retail in these highly inflated days might be 19k. Trade in is 40% below retail for a runner. Since yours is a non runner it’s salvage.

Your engine is toast and with that kind of damage there are no guarantees it’s rebuildable given it had metal derbies in the cylinders. You get in there and may discover you can’t hone the cylinders enough to have a smooth bore from that damage, and your a couple thousand in to fixing an unfixable engine. Skip. Plus damaged other parts, bad oil pump who knows from circulating metal debris. Scored crank and cams?

Your car maybe mechanically totaled. Engine swap would be the way to go to get it running, with new turbos and etc. your looking at 6-10k with labor and parts, which is about 50% of the value of the vehicle. I’d spend the money on a new car. This one is finically won’t make sense to save. A swapped engine car will generally have a lower resale value. Just like having an accident people don’t want to inherit another set of problems.
Agreed. Emphatically agreed.

Sell and move on. BTW, that is the most honest indy I've ever heard of. Props to that shop.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #4
Rich807
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X2

Take the money & R U N!!!!!! Carmax here just offered me $7k for my 2011 with everything working, an interior that's very close to showroom condition, new tires, new brakes, new windshield etc.
Appreciate 0