XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #1
blaferty
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M

X5M - engine malfunction message

SA at dealer says issue is gas that is 90% not gas. Wife filled up w/ Shell at convenience store in AM & message showed same day.
I will probably have it towed to indy who will hopefully charge half of what dealer would.
Anyone gotten reimbursed by gas wholesaler or retailer for repairs?
What is required in parts & labor to repair this?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
nabizzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M LBB

Had the same issue in houston, do you have warranty on your car? if you do you should be fine, for me they just did some recoding and they replaced the injectors.

I did not get reimbursed or anything, didn't even try to get reimbursed lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
ferraridriver69
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan X5M

What was the fault code?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
blaferty
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M

Message is: Engine malfunction! Reduced output/possible to continue/Have system checked...

dealer says issue is not covered by warranty. Needs sending unit in tank,fuel filter,spark plugs,but not injectors. I guess they want to drop the tank also. = $2,400!
very cool video at VIR,btw.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #5
nabizzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M LBB

that message just means the truck is in limp mode, it can be anything
dealer told me it goes into limp mode when it senses something wrong to protect other components
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
deepred_natz
YOLO
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5M

I had this code a week ago. Did your check engine lit up? I bought a OBD tool and detected one of the cylinder misfired and also detected emission problems because of this. You might want to invest a OBT tool (very cheap, bought for 60 bucks here in Canada), at least you know whats happening in your engine. Just in case dealership misdiagnosed it and they want you to pay for it eventhough it is covered under warranty. Then, after I connected the OBD tool my check engine light went away but I will still go to the dealership and tell them that one of my cylinder misfired and needs replacement and fix my emission problems.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
ferraridriver69
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaferty View Post
Message is: Engine malfunction! Reduced output/possible to continue/Have system checked...

dealer says issue is not covered by warranty. Needs sending unit in tank,fuel filter,spark plugs,but not injectors. I guess they want to drop the tank also. = $2,400!
very cool video at VIR,btw.
Thanks. It was a blast. Beat up on many Ferraris in an SUV. Doesn't get any better than that,lol.

I do agree with the other reply. Get yourself a cheap OBD II tester just to know for yourself what's up. Some dealers do whatever they can to blame someone or something else so they don't have to do warranty work ( doesn't pay as well)
We have a great relationship with our local dealer due to us being a Dinan Dealer and highly regarded Indy.
When the engine light comes on and the fault only occurred briefly it will reset during the next start up. The fault(s) still remain in memory until they're erased.
I just received new bank 2 injectors on mine a few weeks ago due to a misfire.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
deepred_natz
YOLO
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraridriver69 View Post
Thanks. It was a blast. Beat up on many Ferraris in an SUV. Doesn't get any better than that,lol.

I do agree with the other reply. Get yourself a cheap OBD II tester just to know for yourself what's up. Some dealers do whatever they can to blame someone or something else so they don't have to do warranty work ( doesn't pay as well)
We have a great relationship with our local dealer due to us being a Dinan Dealer and highly regarded Indy.
When the engine light comes on and the fault only occurred briefly it will reset during the next start up. The fault(s) still remain in memory until they're erased.
I just received new bank 2 injectors on mine a few weeks ago due to a misfire.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:44 PM   #9
northern2020
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 M / '01 B5 S4/ 15 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred_natz
I had this code a week ago. Did your check engine lit up? I bought a OBD tool and detected one of the cylinder misfired and also detected emission problems because of this. You might want to invest a OBT tool (very cheap, bought for 60 bucks here in Canada), at least you know whats happening in your engine. Just in case dealership misdiagnosed it and they want you to pay for it eventhough it is covered under warranty. Then, after I connected the OBD tool my check engine light went away but I will still go to the dealership and tell them that one of my cylinder misfired and needs replacement and fix my emission problems.
Can you post a link as to where you got your OBD tool?

Appreciated
      01-04-2014, 12:05 AM   #10
deepred_natz
YOLO
Canada
Rep

i bought it in canadian tire. i got on sale, its called innova 3030f.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #11
ice7
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M's

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
I had the same fault code last week. The fault code should be covered under warranty. The dealer replaced the low pressure fuel sensor and fuel supply line. Added about 500 miles since then and no more error.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #12
T Dot
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Hi - I haven't posted in ages but read this forum a fair but and have learned a lot from everyone, thank you very much.

I have had this warning light show up several times since i bought my truck CPO about 2.5 years ago. Quite frankly dealing with it has been a massive pain. In 2013 my X5M ended up getting serviced for a total of almost 3 months (2 separate occasions) while they tried to fix the issue. I am still unclear as to what exactly was causing the problem....they changed spark plugs, which didn't work; then a variety of hoses were swapped out, then they needed to take the engine out to examine valves and pistons....when I picked up my truck there were pages and pages of things they changed out (felt like they threw darts against a wall) and my service advisor said it equated to roughly $10k-$12k of work (my car was under original warranty at the time and is now under the CPO piece). I asked him to explain to me the issue in layman's terms and he couldn't. Then my truck didn't drive properly (vibrations between 20-30km/hr) and had to go back in for repair - BMW parts distribution issues took 3 weeks to arrive to Toronto from Germany (they needed to diagnose 2x hence the second 6 week total repair time).

I just dropped off my POS truck to the dealer this morning because the battery discharge light went off again (3rd time I think). My passenger side heated seat never works in minus 5 degree Celsius weather from a cold start (ie when you need it most) and the half dozen times I have asked to look into it either they can't replicate the issue (car warms up) or they say no code is showing an issue. 3rd Toronto winter and I have to hear my wife complain every weekend when she gets into the car that its a lemon.

I didn't even mention in any detail when I bought the car and asked for the 3M film to be placed on the rear fenders and rocker panels (they did one not the other) that I ended up with stone chips. They ended up fixing it given what I talked about above AFTER they claimed they fixed the chips but clearly didn't. It rained after I picked up my car and it was night, so I couldn't see too well if it was fixed but my service advisor assured me multiple times it was. I had called him back a few times over the next few days and he never returned my calls. Only when I escalated to his boss did the chips get fixed.

Can you tell I am a very happy BMW customer?

When it works, it's a really fun truck to drive. Pretty sure it's my first and last BMW though unfortunately. I have owned a Porsche, Benz, Audi, Acura and my first car was a Chevy....None of those cars spent 10% of the time my X5M has been in the shop. I am likely in the minority of poor ownership experiences but mine has been absolutely horrible.

Thx for letting me vent. Thx for reading.

Cheers.

T
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
T Dot
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Battery not covered under CPO even though I have a pre-existing battery issue. Service guy said 'you don't drive enough every day to have your battery recharge'. Work is less than 10km from my house. These cars only work for long hauls? What a crock of sh!t. $666 plus tax to replace the high power battery that was supposed to solve my original problem but didn't last 1 year. BMW sucks. This is laughable at this point
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #14
deepred_natz
YOLO
Canada
Rep

sorry to hear that. I am pretty new to bmw vehicles but one thing i know so far is that these vehicles are not design to our weather. Looks like all BMW tests are just in a very good climate condition. so far for my x5m, it didnt let me down yet (crossed fingers) aside from one scenario that it had "engine malfunction message" but not sure if its severe but i still have one more year new vehicle warranty left then in will go to CPO warranty. i will be visiting the dealership in the spring for sure to get the #6 cylinder fixed (misfired once), get my emission problems fixed and get my engine checked.

When I bought mine, I was just so lucky because the old owner has battery tender in it, otherwise my vehicle will not start in our weather here in fort mcmurray. (-40 for 5 days).

If I were you, 3 months in service (and they dont know if it is fixed, BS! what kind of mechanics they have?), demand for a new vehicle or email the president of bmw north america and in germany regarding your situtation. This is an eye opener for everyone especially people here in canada. We pay a massive amount of money with these vehicles, so they better treat us right, bottom line! otherwise they should just compete with hyundai and kia's! (with theyre pricing)

If I were you, invest an OBD II tool, so that you know what is going on with your vehicle and try to browse for DEFA products for bmw (the company has a dealer there in TO). thats the manufacturer of my battery tender in my vehicle.

Hopefully this will help.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
O4x5dude
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

My 2011 X5 had the same issue last week, I'm told that it is a faulty Mass airflow sensor that is causing the issue. I think covered under factory warranty ( I will find out when I pickup the X today)
Appreciate 0