XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-29-2016, 04:16 PM   #1
njdrive
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ZCP

Looking at an X5 for a DD

Hello,

I normally post on the m3 forum, but my girlfriend wants an X5 and I'm helping her find a well maintained X5. I've owned a few BMWs E90, E92, and currently an E92 M3. I know what to look for in the 3 series, Ms, and 5 series but not the X models. Can you help me with what I should look for when looking for the X5 ?

She will use the X5 as a DD and her annaul occasional 1000 mile (each way) trip to see visit her family. She like the 2006-2013 body style. Right now we've seen 2 or 3 2011s that we really like. If we buy the car from a non BMW dealership, we will get a PPI at BMW. I plan to get a key read and pull a carfax. Are there any bugs or know issues that I should look for at a quick glance of be aware of for long term ownership? I know with my E90 the valve cover gasket was an issue, rear regulators. M3 potential rod bearings, etc.

Please share your thoughts.
      02-29-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Problem with finding a used X5 at an authorized BMW dealer right now is that they cannot sell them because of the airbag recall ... -http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1229465

And finding one at a third party re-seller is equally tricky, because they are not authorized to sell a BMW with a CPO warranty anymore, airbag notwithstanding.

Of course they can always sell an aftermarket warranty, but that can be a hit-or-miss and is always expensive if you get an exclusionary warranty (which is the only type to get on these cars).
      02-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #3
kcheves
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 x35d

I just went through this and ended up with a 2013 Xdrive35d diesel.

There was a mid-cycle redesign in 2011 that made a number of improvements. These are often called LCI cars, which stands for Life Cycle Injection. There were styling changes, iDrive updates, and mechanical improvements. The normal advice is to get a 2011 or later. There was a major remodel in 2014, but it sounds like you're looking at the earlier cars.

There were also several issues with the 8 cylinder engine that resulted in a service campaign by BMW to make these engines more reliable. I'll let 50i owners speak to this, but the advice I heard was to not own one out of warranty.

The Diesels are great cars but have had issues with the urea injection system that is used for emission control. These problems should be covered under the separate emissions warranty, which in my state is 7/70, so it was not a big detterant for me.

The vanilla 3.5i is considered the most reliable, if least engaging powertrain option.

BMW has changed their policies on transferability of the CPO warranty, and will also be making the 4/50 factory maintenance non-transferable starting with (I think) the 2016 or 2017 models.

I'm a new owner and still in the honeymoon stage, but the X5 is a great car.
Appreciate 0