XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

No More 315/35R20 Winter Tires?

I have the staggered 20 inch tires on my '11 50i. I know it seems funny to be bringing this up in late July, but I am going to need to replace my rear winter tires (Pirelli Scorpion run flats) this coming winter season. Looks like Pirelli stopped making them (you can find a few on Ebay and Amazon at wildly inflated prices) and no other tire manufacturer seems to either. In fact, no one seems to be making that size winter tire even as non run flats. I suppose I could run 275/40's on all 4 wheels, but even then no one seems to be making them as run flats. Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Switch to a non run flat . I have continental dsw tires and they're great, I carry a plug kit and air compressor in the back
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
brn2skifst
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 2012 x5 50

Buy a set of 18x8 wheels and skinnier tires. Blizzaks or nokians. You won't be sorry
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
godmans
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / 335i / X6M

Because for most that need snows because they will be driven on snows, would not be getting winter tire in that kind of sizes.

It is simply not practical unless if you are just going for looks, then 315 at the rear for snows would be fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
shark715
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

I already have a second set of 20 inch wheels for the winter tires, and really don't want to shell out even more money for a third set of wheels.

I had the DWS's on my old Mini, and found them to be very good in the snow for an all season tire, but they just can't match a dedicated winter tire with softer rubber, especially when the roads get icy.

The good news is that I just saw on Pirelli's website that they make their Winter Carving Edge Runflat in both the front and rear sizes, even though Tirerack does not show it in the size to fit the rear axle. I assume that's the replacement for the Scorpions that I've used in the past. No one seems to have that size yet, but hopefully it's merely because it's the middle of the summer.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
shark715
Captain
Rep

Godmans, just read your post. I used to think exactly what you are saying too, but I have to tell you that the X5 with the Pirelli Scorpions (OEM sizes 275 front and 315 rear) was as good as my old Pathfinder that has Michelin LTX's (reasonably aggressive tread pattern) in deep snow. Not sure why...maybe it's how soft the rubber remains even at low temperatures. The downside is that those wide rear tires have a short tread life, but that's a fact of life when you get into those wide sizes.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
godmans
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
Godmans, just read your post. I used to think exactly what you are saying too, but I have to tell you that the X5 with the Pirelli Scorpions (OEM sizes 275 front and 315 rear) was as good as my old Pathfinder that has Michelin LTX's (reasonably aggressive tread pattern) in deep snow. Not sure why...maybe it's how soft the rubber remains even at low temperatures. The downside is that those wide rear tires have a short tread life, but that's a fact of life when you get into those wide sizes.
Hey bud, got your point. On your original point, if you are looking for closer to stock sizes, you can play around in +/- the stock width and aspect ratio to see if you have any luck, i.e. you might be able to find 295 with a slightly higher aspect ratio. Good luck on that!

Now, "good" is relative though, for instance, you might want to give a narrower but same tire on the X a try and see if you might like it better on deep snow?

Good luck to you either way buddy!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by godmans View Post
Hey bud, got your point. On your original point, if you are looking for closer to stock sizes, you can play around in +/- the stock width and aspect ratio to see if you have any luck, i.e. you might be able to find 295 with a slightly higher aspect ratio. Good luck on that!
This is not recommended.

Stick with OEM sizes, or get a square setup.

On a logistical note, I'd expect most places to get stocked up on winter tires sometime in the next few months once the cold weather starts to roll in.

Good luck!
      07-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
godmans
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzbm3 View Post
This is not recommended.

Stick with OEM sizes, or get a square setup.

On a logistical note, I'd expect most places to get stocked up on winter tires sometime in the next few months once the cold weather starts to roll in.

Good luck!
To clarify only: what i meant was that to play with the width and aspect ratio so that the overall rolling diameter stays the same/ within tolerances.

This is the same concept when you go with the OEM winter tyre setup (255/50/19), which is square setup with lower width but higher aspect ratio to net to a similar rolling diameter.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by godmans View Post
To clarify only: what i meant was that to play with the width and aspect ratio so that the overall rolling diameter stays the same/ within tolerances.

This is the same concept when you go with the OEM winter tyre setup (255/50/19), which is square setup with lower width but higher aspect ratio to net to a similar rolling diameter.
Well that's much easier said than done when dealing with a staggered setup.

Do you know what the tolerances are for xDrive? OE spec is 726 revs per mile front/rear, and I doubt you'll find anyone at BMW who'd recommend anything other than OE sizes.
      07-28-2014, 07:30 AM   #11
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Convertible

I know the OP is looking for runflat, but if you change your mind a lot of guys are running Toyo winters in the OE staggered 315 rear / 275 front sizes. I believe there are several forum members from Canada that use these with great results. Assuming that Canada winters are a good comparison!
Appreciate 0