XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

How are the new Jaguar XE and XF selling?

I've had difficulty finding their sales figures online.

From my personal experience with both, they are fine looking cars that drive well (according to reviews). However, their interiors are so putrid in design, material quality, and fit-and-finish it's pretty inexcusable. Honestly, I feel the E90 and E60 BMWs (decade old designs) had nicer interiors than these cars. Heck even a new Honda Accord has better fit-and-finish. It would boggle my mind if people were actually buying these in even respectable numbers given all the great competition out there.

If anybody wants to see what I'm talking about, look no further....
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Wow, if that's a new/everyday example, that's quite bad. The circle gear selector is an awful design choice too.

Lack of DCT, and also that crazily small excuse for a 'trunk' in the F-Type is just laughable.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 04:54 PM   #3
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
You probably shouldn't buy one...

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 04:58 PM   #4
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2015/10...sa-canada.html
      11-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #5
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Thanks.

Not sure what JLR's sales goal is but 400-500 per month is pretty bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 09:54 PM   #6
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Wow, if that's a new/everyday example, that's quite bad. The circle gear selector is an awful design choice too.

Lack of DCT, and also that crazily small excuse for a 'trunk' in the F-Type is just laughable.
I've been in 3 examples of the XF and two of the XE and they were both like this. Don't even get me started on the F-pace. That will sell well though b/c it's an SUV.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 11:48 AM   #7
F13
CEO
Rep
Drives: F13

I was looking at Jaguars and the dealership I went to said the XE wasn't selling as well as planned and that more people were interested in the F-Pace. I was disappointed Jaguar didn't release a manual for the XE in the US otherwise I would have considered the car.

Current: F13
Previous: E92, E82
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I love Jaguar's exterior designs but the interior is pretty bad. Lots of inefficient use of space and visibility is not good. The gauges look like it belongs in a GM rental car. I test drove the XE at Jag's launch event. The car drives great... just very disappointing about the interior. F Type is also a great drive but the interior is bad.
      11-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #9
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Oh man after a few months that thing will probably continuously squeak while driving, horrible! Look the looks of the new Jags but damn their interior is horrible.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #10
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

I have an f type, interior quality on mine is great, real piano-black painted trim, real aluminum and real stainless steel, Alcantara and suede seats and leather smells amazing, not a rattle after 8k, and I hate rattles. The manual shift boot is of poor leather quality and the steering wheel feels too large (dia.), but that's about it.

The interior is much higher quality than my 2 series, granted 2 series is not known for a posh interior. The infotainment is a laugh, the paint is gorgeously done (7 mil pearl as opposed to my 2 mil EB metallic BMW).

We looked at an f Pace for the wife, even had a slot, when they came in they were garbage on the inside, like a Buick. I thought the high end may have been nicer, so I waited for one of those to come in but just the same. Almost felt pre-production. Passed on that one. F pace are selling great, f types not so much, so what do I know. People also like McDonalds...........
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #11
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
I have an f type, interior quality on mine is great, real piano-black painted trim, real aluminum and real stainless steel, Alcantara and suede seats and leather smells amazing, not a rattle after 8k, and I hate rattles. The manual shift boot is of poor leather quality and the steering wheel feels too large (dia.), but that's about it.

The interior is much higher quality than my 2 series, granted 2 series is not known for a posh interior. The infotainment is a laugh, the paint is gorgeously done (7 mil pearl as opposed to my 2 mil EB metallic BMW).

We looked at an f Pace for the wife, even had a slot, when they came in they were garbage on the inside, like a Buick. I thought the high end may have been nicer, so I waited for one of those to come in but just the same. Almost felt pre-production. Passed on that one. F pace are selling great, f types not so much, so what do I know. People also like McDonalds...........
Well the 2-series is not even half the price of the F-type, a 6er is a more fair comparison. The last time i spent time with an F-type I thought the interior was just fine. Not the most engaging design but otherwise a OK for its class. Nice car collection btw!

I checked out 4 separate F pace models and all have this hard scratchy hard plastic lining the lower 60% of every door. I was honestly pretty shocked that such materials could make it to a high-end SUV. They wouldn't even be acceptable in a Civic. It's unfortunate because it's probably the most attractive mid-size SUV on the market right now, right there with the RR Sport and a notch above an M sport X5. I want to like it so bad. I'm amazed people who are buying them are tolerating the interior. Once the rattles pour in they won't be back.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #12
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

See 3:30 and 6:55
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 04:05 PM   #13
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Well the 2-series is not even half the price of the F-type, a 6er is a more fair comparison. The last time i spent time with an F-type I thought the interior was just fine. Not the most engaging design but otherwise a OK for its class. Nice car collection btw!

I checked out 4 separate F pace models and all have this hard scratchy hard plastic lining the lower 60% of every door. I was honestly pretty shocked that such materials could make it to a high-end SUV. They wouldn't even be acceptable in a Civic. It's unfortunate because it's probably the most attractive mid-size SUV on the market right now, right there with the RR Sport and a notch above an M sport X5. I want to like it so bad. I'm amazed people who are buying them are tolerating the interior. Once the rattles pour in they won't be back.
Yes the f type interior is a cross of the old jag and a corvette. The layout is actually very similar to a c7. That car replaced a 991, which had a better interior but was a bore to drive as a street car. F type is my absolute fav for street driving, and I bought it on a whim when I was looking at the Range Rover sport for my wife. Jag was never on my radar. They just had a base white manual on the lot, it was out the door for a tick over 54k w tax, sticker was mid 60s. they could not sell it as each dealer needed to take a manual at the launch of manuals for 16. Jag has the right idea, just need a few more bucks on touch feel. People spending 60 plus are not going to care if it is 62k and everything feels nice, they will care if it is 60k and feels like plastic.

Another big offender in the crap interior plastics is tesla, looked at the x suv and really was a cheap feel, like a Chinese iPad copy sort of vibe, the backseat of the s looked like a cop car.

I really wanted the f pace as well but for a suv, your living in the inside, not driving dynamics. F pace did have good pickup and a nice automatic, but not enough to overcome the inside, plus full sticker. The bmw SUVs that we looked at were nicer, if the x4 was the new body we would have grabbed one of those, we ended up just leasing a Lexus something rx300? for a few years, basically an appliance, but nice none the less, and very cheap to lease for a 60k Crossover. Wife's car, I don't drive it often, have a few others and bikes. I would go x5 over f pace anyday, proven leader in category.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 06:58 PM   #14
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes the f type interior is a cross of the old jag and a corvette. The layout is actually very similar to a c7. That car replaced a 991, which had a better interior but was a bore to drive as a street car. F type is my absolute fav for street driving, and I bought it on a whim when I was looking at the Range Rover sport for my wife. Jag was never on my radar. They just had a base white manual on the lot, it was out the door for a tick over 54k w tax, sticker was mid 60s. they could not sell it as each dealer needed to take a manual at the launch of manuals for 16. Jag has the right idea, just need a few more bucks on touch feel. People spending 60 plus are not going to care if it is 62k and everything feels nice, they will care if it is 60k and feels like plastic.

Another big offender in the crap interior plastics is tesla, looked at the x suv and really was a cheap feel, like a Chinese iPad copy sort of vibe, the backseat of the s looked like a cop car.

I really wanted the f pace as well but for a suv, your living in the inside, not driving dynamics. F pace did have good pickup and a nice automatic, but not enough to overcome the inside, plus full sticker. The bmw SUVs that we looked at were nicer, if the x4 was the new body we would have grabbed one of those, we ended up just leasing a Lexus something rx300? for a few years, basically an appliance, but nice none the less, and very cheap to lease for a 60k Crossover. Wife's car, I don't drive it often, have a few others and bikes. I would go x5 over f pace anyday, proven leader in category.
Agree with all your sentiments completely. Great deal on the F-type, and as somebody who used to work at Tesla during undergrad I must agree that the interiors of their cars are absolute trash both from a design and quality standpoint. I have always felt they are overrated cars for that reason alone.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #15
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Pparana
Germanauto

Since there's a F-Type owner in here, why is the trunk so small (shallow)? What gives? It's the mystery of the internet lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #16
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Pparana
Germanauto

Since there's a F-Type owner in here, why is the trunk so small (shallow)? What gives? It's the mystery of the internet lol.
it's kind of split, there is a subfloor, in the back there is the battery under that and another cubby maybe 12x 16x24 of space. In front of that compartment there are electronics taking up space (fuses, computers, amps) kind of similar to the BMW trunk. and of course there is the exhaust, and fuel tank eating up space, but mostly fuel tank is cutting into it I believe. in most coupes they can get the fuel tank under the car better, but the floorplan is low on f type.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #17
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
it's kind of split, there is a subfloor, in the back there is the battery under that and another cubby maybe 12x 16x24 of space. In front of that compartment there are electronics taking up space (fuses, computers, amps) kind of similar to the BMW trunk. and of course there is the exhaust, and fuel tank eating up space, but mostly fuel tank is cutting into it I believe. in most coupes they can get the fuel tank under the car better, but the floorplan is low on f type.
Could they have designed it better? I can't remember if the convertible or the coupe's trunk was ridiculously small (probably the former?) but it just looks like a regularly-sized car from the rear, so it's just weird that the trunk is crazily minute, esp since it's just a ragtop. Is the fuel tank 'humungous'?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 05:22 PM   #18
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I was planning on buying a F-pace. I checked it out yesterday and I was disappointed to find out that the interior quality is like they say - scratchy and shoddy plastics. I really wanted to like it but the interior was the deal breaker.

I'll be checking out the new Audi Q7 next weekend.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 07:56 PM   #19
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
I agree with the sentiment on the interior quality of the jags, however the Ftype is my favourite car at the moment and really don't care how the interior looks. I've test driven a couple Ftypes and have concluded that the Ftype S awd will be my next car, cheers...
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
Pparana463.00
      12-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #20
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Seen a couple XE on the streets recently and its like .. meh
After the newness novelty wears off its actually not as nice lookin as I once thought..
nice drive tho but still not a bimmer
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 01:49 AM   #21
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
I'll be checking out the new Audi Q7 next weekend.
Make sure your salesman pulls one off the lot with virtual cockpit. Must have option.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2016, 10:37 AM   #22
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
See 3:30 and 6:55
Good review. Except for the part where you can see the dude's ass crack.

You can tell just by the car's appearance of how mediocre the quality of parts are in some areas.
Appreciate 0