XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #45
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

I just took delivery on a fiesta st. such a great car for what it is. and can be had for well under 25k brand new.
      12-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #46
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
I just took delivery on a fiesta st. such a great car for what it is. and can be had for well under 25k brand new.
Great car, no doubt about it. But maybe not a great "weekend car," especially when he has an M3 already.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2016, 11:54 AM   #47
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BEASTMW- View Post
Great car, no doubt about it. But maybe not a great "weekend car," especially when he has an M3 already.
that's a good point but the whole analogy is wrong. Normally the weekend car is not the cheaper car of the group.
      12-01-2016, 12:14 PM   #48
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I've been looking for a 2011 WRX Hatch for quite some time!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #49
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
that's a good point but the whole analogy is wrong. Normally the weekend car is not the cheaper car of the group.
I think the weekend car can be cheaper, just needs to be something that is somehow unique or not practical or wouldn't be enjoyable to daily drive.

My daily Cadillac ATS was more expensive than my weekend Z4M. At this point the Z4M is worth more but I have no interest and can't daily drive it because of what I do. Good chance when I wear out my daily I will buy another daily that is more expensive than my weekend car.
      12-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #50
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
I actually beg to differ. I could see going either way for different reasons, but it makes plenty of sense to spend more on a DD that you use most of the time (newer, more reliable, better comfort/luxury/tech/safety/mpg) and less on a weekend car that you use less often (don't want to track an expensive car, don't need something nice/new but just fun to drive and/or good-looking, easier to buy an older fun car that doesn't break the bank).

Let's put it this way: I can think of plenty of fun track/weekend cars for $25k, $15k or $10k. Not many cars I'd want to DD for the lower end of that range - at least without either boring myself to death 5-6 days/wk or living in constant fear of reliability woes.

Regardless, as much as I love both the E90 M3 and the FiST, that strikes me as an odd combo - two all-rounders really. I wouldn't know whether to take the heavier car or the FWD car on a fun road, or whether to DD the gas-thirsty car or the small econo-car. If there is space/budget for two cars, I'd make each one more focused personally.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2016, 06:08 PM   #51
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I actually beg to differ. I could see going either way for different reasons, but it makes plenty of sense to spend more on a DD that you use most of the time (newer, more reliable, better comfort/luxury/tech/safety/mpg) and less on a weekend car that you use less often (don't want to track an expensive car, don't need something nice/new but just fun to drive and/or good-looking, easier to buy an older fun car that doesn't break the bank).

Let's put it this way: I can think of plenty of fun track/weekend cars for $25k, $15k or $10k. Not many cars I'd want to DD for the lower end of that range - at least without either boring myself to death 5-6 days/wk or living in constant fear of reliability woes.

Regardless, as much as I love both the E90 M3 and the FiST, that strikes me as an odd combo - two all-rounders really. I wouldn't know whether to take the heavier car or the FWD car on a fun road, or whether to DD the gas-thirsty car or the small econo-car. If there is space/budget for two cars, I'd make each one more focused personally.
valid points, personally I feel weekend warriors and weekend cars are not the same.
      12-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #52
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

I am amazed that on a BMW forum that the Z4 (E85 not the E89) is not top on the list.
I Love mine, but I really have two weekend cars. One is an on-road Z4 3.0i roadster that is a delight to drive. The other is an off-road terror Polaris Jagged X. I have more money wrapped up in weekend toys than my daily driver. I think it is the correct priority for me. Try and E85 i,SI or M and you may fall in love. (it only took me 30')

Steve
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2016, 09:28 AM   #53
BeamerLemur
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

If it's a P car you're after then I'd make a plan to get one. It's a bit pricey but damn well-worth the experience!
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2016, 09:59 AM   #54
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

The 2017 miata RF looks pretty awesome. I like what they did with the rear of the car, looks like an old british sports car (triumph or something).

Also, the Fiat 124 Abarth looks like an awesome weekend warrior.

Any of those small cars will get you such an exhilarating experience. Personally, I think the 2017 Miata RF is gorgeous.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #55
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
The 2017 miata RF looks pretty awesome. I like what they did with the rear of the car, looks like an old british sports car (triumph or something).

Also, the Fiat 124 Abarth looks like an awesome weekend warrior.

Any of those small cars will get you such an exhilarating experience. Personally, I think the 2017 Miata RF is gorgeous.
I just saw a couple of reviews on the car and I agree, it looks very nice...much nicer than the convertible IMHO. Thx
Appreciate 1
pgviper277.50
      12-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #56
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i MT Sport

Corvette C5 Z06 or Corvette C6 with Z51 package. Much less expensive to own and maintain than a Porsche or even a BMW. Very fast and on the freeway, you can even get 30 MPG.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #57
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I have a 2016 FRS as a weekend/nice weather car. I've had it for a year now and have had zero problems with it, kudos to Toyota for holding up their reputation. Plus it's extremely fun to drive, more so than my previous 350Z and neck and neck with my previous Mazda RX8 (the rotary engine was just too much fun).

After a year of ownership I have become a little bored with it though. I wish the powertrain was a bit more refined. I will be putting it up for sale here shortly. Then maybe get a Porsche in a couple of years when I'm getting the itch again lol.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #58
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
I have a 2016 FRS as a weekend/nice weather car. I've had it for a year now and have had zero problems with it, kudos to Toyota for holding up their reputation. Plus it's extremely fun to drive, more so than my previous 350Z and neck and neck with my previous Mazda RX8 (the rotary engine was just too much fun).

After a year of ownership I have become a little bored with it though. I wish the powertrain was a bit more refined. I will be putting it up for sale here shortly. Then maybe get a Porsche in a couple of years when I'm getting the itch again lol.
Thanks, I have been thinking about the FRS/BRZ as a real contender. Outside of the powertrain refinement, were you OK with the relatively low horsepower?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #59
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Dreamer View Post
Thanks, I have been thinking about the FRS/BRZ as a real contender. Outside of the powertrain refinement, were you OK with the relatively low horsepower?
Most of the fun comes from the fact you can drive the car so hard yet be within reasonable speeds. Part of my job leads me to small towns and two lane farm roads. Any time you have to pass someone you gotta be quick because of oncoming traffic. That's when you're downshifting and rowing through the gears at 10/10th's because your life depends on it lol. The 6MT is fun, definitely recommend you get one with a manual.

Not gonna lie though, next sports car I get will definitely have more power.

Appreciate 1
      12-06-2016, 07:59 PM   #60
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottWhat View Post
Corvette C5 Z06 or Corvette C6 with Z51 package. Much less expensive to own and maintain than a Porsche or even a BMW. Very fast and on the freeway, you can even get 30 MPG.
Or buy my C6Z
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 08:02 PM   #61
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:

FWD is a deal killer for me. I don't care what it is. I won't buy a FWD to be a fun car. if I want fun, it's AWD or RWD. FWD is for DD duty in the snow.
Appreciate 1