XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
zeroboot
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M - sometimes

Question Drivers of Black Vehicles...

What products/techniques do you use to take care of your paint and minimize the inevitable swirls. I think I made some swirls in my paint just by looking at it the wrong way!

Anyway, we all know black is high-maintenance. What do you all do to keep it looking good? thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Swirls are normal, just seen more with dark colored cars. The only way to get rid of them is to machine polish. You can prolong, not getting swirls with a thorough wax and occasional protectant/wipe down to maintain the wax, but it's inevitable in a matter of months.
      04-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
BabyCAP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroboot View Post
What products/techniques do you use to take care of your paint and minimize the inevitable swirls. I think I made some swirls in my paint just by looking at it the wrong way!

Anyway, we all know black is high-maintenance. What do you all do to keep it looking good? thanks.
hey there - one great resource I suggest is Phil from detailersdomain.com He is AWESOME and his shop has a ton of really good products. You can e-mail him directly and he will reply. he also has tons of offers and rebates so you can save some $.

Here's my .02 - the swirls are caused by micro particles (dirt/sand/salt) on your sponge, towels, etc. First of all do not use drive thru car wash. To minimize swirls when you hand wash do a search for the two bucket method. Basically it is one bucket for dirty water and one bucket for your soapy water. The key piece of equipment for this method is a grit guard that fits in the bottom of your buckets and traps the dirt on the bottom of your bucket so it does not transfer to your sponge and then on to your paint.
It sucks when your ride is dirty but sometimes IMO it makes sense to wait until you have time to do a proper wash rather than a quickie which may end up swirling your paint.

good luck and def check out detailersdomain.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 04:39 AM   #4
ncraig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R35

opti-coating 2.0 or similar opti-coating products
Its basically a hard crystal shell applied on top of your paint protects better than wax shines like wax and lasts 2~3 years depends on your wash method.
wish i know this product earlier...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
TB8715
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

I use Adams products...plus a weekly bath.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Vantage, 997, ModelX

Swizvax or Swizöl like it is called in Europe.

No swirls but I still hate black! Never ever will buy a black car again.
Wash the M3, happy camper for around 5-10 min till I see the first pollen dust, dropping water spot.
Appreciate 0