XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

2012 X5 bumper/paint issues

Hey guys/gals, I'm not sure how much interest this thread will generate but if anyone is interested, I'll provide updates.

We have a 2012 X5 with paint peeling from the from bumper.

Name:  pic (1).JPG
Views: 1206
Size:  692.5 KB

Name:  pic (2).JPG
Views: 1246
Size:  721.2 KB

I think it's a warrantee issue but I'll know for sure later this week. Please reply to the thread if you want updates.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
jspdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Did you purchased it new?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

Yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
jspdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Looking at the pics., it should not happened from a new car unless has been repainted. If i was you i will find out the record from the dealer that if the bumper has ever been repainted for any reasons. Sometimes it was damaged from transport truck, or parking lot etc. It is a law if the damaged repair cost over a certain limit they have to report it, and disclosed.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

Good idea, thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

Quick update, BMW NA approved the repair so that's good. I was trying to find out if was it repainted due to damage during transit but the service manager won't return my calls....... I think this is part of their award winning service.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
jspdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

They have no choice. My question still is why it happened in the first place? I am most certain it was repainted, whether documented or not. Make sure to duplicate the factory painting process, bumpers especially.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspdr View Post
I am most certain it was repainted, whether documented or not.
I agree, but so far even BMW NA will not divulge any info. Can't wait to see what happens next. :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
jspdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Let push the issue to see how far you can go. I can't wait to hear their side of story if it was not repainted. I think it is the dealer's responsibility to resolve the issue with you, not BMW NA. The other thing i'd like to add is that if the truck was a dealer trade, then your dealer might not have any knowledge at the time. Regardless, you have your rights to demand the truth.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

I'm trying to go as far as I can without legal counsel, problem is the local service manager is definitely not on my team.

From what I have gathered so far a bumper re-spray is non-reportable due to the low cost of repair. Honestly it's not a big deal, I just don't appreciate the lack of information.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
jspdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypx View Post
I'm trying to go as far as I can without legal counsel, problem is the local service manager is definitely not on my team.

From what I have gathered so far a bumper re-spray is non-reportable due to the low cost of repair. Honestly it's not a big deal, I just don't appreciate the lack of information.
Totally agree. I have seen they do it many times with the air brush in their parking lot. At least they can come clean to tell you why it was done.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Happened to my brother's M3 when he bought it used. He was not happy with the first respray, so they did it again. Easy process.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Totally agree. I have seen they do it many times with the air brush in their parking lot. At least they can come clean to tell you why it was done.
It seems like this is what they did, but there is no way to prove it. BMW NA approved the repair so we're happy.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #14
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Happened to my brother's M3 when he bought it used. He was not happy with the first respray, so they did it again. Easy process.
Do you remember how long the process was?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #15
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
He bought the M3 used (same color as yours actually) and noticed issues with both front and rear bumpers. He went back to the dealership and they agreed to repaint both bumpers, but did a less than stellar job. So back my brother went, and they did it again. Last time was OK, although in certain light the paint doesn't match 100%. Average person would never notice it though.

Not sure how long it all took. You can spray bumpers in a day.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #16
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
He bought the M3 used (same color as yours actually) and noticed issues with both front and rear bumpers. He went back to the dealership and they agreed to repaint both bumpers, but did a less than stellar job. So back my brother went, and they did it again. Last time was OK, although in certain light the paint doesn't match 100%. Average person would never notice it though.

Not sure how long it all took. You can spray bumpers in a day.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #17
jspdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If it is a spotty spay, using airbrush, it takes a couple hours. You would not want that process on the plastic bumper. You need a good body shop, it has to either stripped the whole bumper, or spotty fix and then bland it over the original paint to matched. In any case they need to use some type of material spay to the bumper before the actual painting process, otherwise, it will peels again in the future.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #18
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

Quote:
If it is a spotty spay, using airbrush, it takes a couple hours. You would not want that process on the plastic bumper. You need a good body shop, it has to either stripped the whole bumper, or spotty fix and then bland it over the original paint to matched. In any case they need to use some type of material spay to the bumper before the actual painting process, otherwise, it will peels again in the future.
The service manager said it would take a couple of days so we'll see. In any event looks like we are moving on soon so it really doesn't matter. I love driving the M3 and X5 (not as much ) but the customer support is not what we expected.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #19
jspdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The service manager said it would take a couple of days so we'll see. In any event looks like we are moving on soon so it really doesn't matter. I love driving the M3 and X5 (not as much ) but the customer support is not what we expected.
Do you have an estimate in writing stated how it will be done? If you don't then you need one. Absolutely no verbal promised.
Appreciate 0