XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

3rd Generation Run Flats

Anyone recently taken delivery of their New x6 with 3G runflat Bridgestones Dueler 400 H/L ?
What's your verdict?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
X6M
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
Anyone recently taken delivery of their New x6 with 3G runflat Bridgestones Dueler 400 H/L ?
What's your verdict?
Sorry, probably this is irrelevant for you, but I'd rather go for normal tyres. They are much more softer than run flat ones especially on the rough roads.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
mreichmann
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 3.5i

I'm in Toronto, and expecting delivery of a new X6 35i within the next couple of weeks. It went into production on Feb 5. It was ordered mid-December. I was told that it would have the new 3G run-flats.

I'll comment on them once I've put some klicks on the car.

Michael
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

3G Run flats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreichmann View Post
I'm in Toronto, and expecting delivery of a new X6 35i within the next couple of weeks. It went into production on Feb 5. It was ordered mid-December. I was told that it would have the new 3G run-flats.

I'll comment on them once I've put some klicks on the car.

Michael
3Gs r identifiable by the sidewall "Cooling Fins" strips.
Will ur 35i get the tunable N54B engine or the new N55, valvetronic single turbo?

Thanx.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Andrew 912
//M addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E92 - MR X6M

Quote:
What's your verdict?
I got 2010 X6M came with 3G RFT (Run Flat Tire), they are very good. I thought it's going to be hard and noisy but "NOT AT ALL", I would personally recommend the 3G RFT
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

Is that really an endorsement for runflats or for the x6m's adapative suspension?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
mreichmann
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 3.5i

Quote:
3Gs r identifiable by the sidewall "Cooling Fins" strips.
Will ur 35i get the tunable N54B engine or the new N55, valvetronic single turbo?

Thanx.
No, a 2010, not 2011. Back in December when I placed my order we didn't know that the 8 speed and single turbo were coming.

I can't say I'm too upset though. While the 8 speed will lead to somewhat better fuel economy, I think it could be problematic in terms of having more gears on hand in manual shifting mode than one can make use of. In fully auto mode it's likely fine though.

As for the single turbo, I always was under the impression that the advantage of twin turbos was that they were smaller, and therefore could spool up faster.

Michael
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

I too feel that the 3G RFT are very good. I have no complaints at this point on the performance handling aspect, or the ride quality. And thinking about it, it would be nice if you should have a flat to be able to continue to drive to either get off the freeway, or just make it to your destination before dealing with it.

One thing to remember is that the sidewall could be damaged from excessive heat if you drive faster or longer than the recommended speed or time. I believe you could probably patch a damaged tire if the puncture was small and in the tread area, from the inside, and reuse the tire if you adhere to their recommendations. But, you may also want to consider that the tire just got you home, and maybe that is worth buying a new one. I purchased the spare tire option, so that I would have that alternative as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
eg3
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 35i

In my opinion, it doesn't matter if they're more comfortable or softer. Runflats will add unsprung weight to your X6 and this will rob you of performance more than a spare tire kit at the back, in your trunk. Plus, they're always more expensive to mount & replace and rather hard to fix..
Appreciate 0