XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
Dunzzy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435Xd White

X6 - BMW Winter Wheel Package UK

Hi everyone

Given the severity of the recent winters I have decided I need to fit winter tyres to the X6.
Currently I have 20 inch wheels and run flat tyres. The current tyres are ok under most conditions, packed snow, slush and ice but they are hopeless in deep snow (over 6 inches deep).

I understand that removing and refitting tyres is not recommended with run flats and besides it is almost impossible to find winter tyres for 20 inch wheels in the UK.

Given that I will need to drop down to 19 inch wheels and winter tyres are £300+ each, BMW do a package of 4 wheels (style 232) and either continental winter grip or goodyear ultra SUV tyres.

The package cost is £2190 including 2 wheel swaps (summer and winter) and storage of the summer wheels.
I think that this is a not bad deal. I understand that I could get cheaper (ebay) wheels and buying tyres separately. Any thoughts ?

Have any X6 owners got this winter package? Is it any good ? How is it in deep snow ?
Any alternatives where significant savings can be made ?

How do the Goodyear Ultra SUV tyres compare with the Continentals ?
Appreciate 0