XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
NFSBMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: X6M MY10 Monte Carlo Blue

X6M stone chip damage to side sills and rear doors

Anyone else with an X6M having the same problem? After even short journeys on gravel roads or even normal roads which have had recent roadworks, my car is getting "sandblasted" along the rear sills (just ahead of the rear wheels and below the rear doors). Also some stone damage on lower part of rear doors too.
BMW Australia were actually really good and agreed to repaint rear sills and rear doors and fit front mudflaps - as everyone believed the problem was due to the wide front tires throwing stones back down the car, which has body-coloured sills, unlike the normal X6 which has black plastic-covered sills and steps.
However the stone damage is still occurring despite the new front mudflaps.
Seems the solution is either clear film over the sills and rear doors or fit the "sports step" side boards from the X6 and hope their width stops more stone damage.
Pretty disappointing design flaw from the M team and let's face it, this is a 4WD that should be able to cope with very mild rough roads.
Advice most welcome. Nigel, MY10 Monte Carlo Blue X6M, Australia
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
My dealer recommended putting plastic film on the lower body work. I have looked at a few M's and those that do not have the film show damage from stone chips. That said, I would rather have the film than the black plastic of regular X's
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
NFSBMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: X6M MY10 Monte Carlo Blue

Thanks for the advice. Yes i think I'll get clear film put on the original painted sills as just changed to the bigger black plastic sills from the base X6 and they just dont look right.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
hifiguy
Mthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

Garage List
2010 X5 35d  [0.00]
2004 E46 M3  [0.00]
get the Venture brand clear bra film since it has lifetime warranty vs the 3M 5 year warranty. that's what i have on my m3 and it makes a big difference compared to those w/o the film.
Appreciate 0