XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
Anteater
An Englishman in Chicago......
United_States
Rep
Drives: VR X6 35i

X6 TPM

Had a short trip across state this week - 260 miles each way and the X6 behaved beautifully. Arrived home late last night after doing the last 100+ miles in the rain and left the car out on the drive rather than putting it in the garage. Drove off the driveway this morning (still raining) and the TPM was on showing low pressure in the front left t(y)ire. DAMN!

Pulled back on the drive (still raining) and put the pressure gauge on the wheel - nothing wrong! Pressure was over 30 PSF in both fronts (32 is recommended) and 32 on the rears. Reset the TPM and everything came up as OK. Weird! Anyone else experienced issues with their TPM's on X6 (or X5 I guess)?

Cheers, Anteater.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Had a short trip across state this week - 260 miles each way and the X6 behaved beautifully. Arrived home late last night after doing the last 100+ miles in the rain and left the car out on the drive rather than putting it in the garage. Drove off the driveway this morning (still raining) and the TPM was on showing low pressure in the front left t(y)ire. DAMN!

Pulled back on the drive (still raining) and put the pressure gauge on the wheel - nothing wrong! Pressure was over 30 PSF in both fronts (32 is recommended) and 32 on the rears. Reset the TPM and everything came up as OK. Weird! Anyone else experienced issues with their TPM's on X6 (or X5 I guess)?

Cheers, Anteater.
Same thing happened to me this past weekend. was in Palm Springs where it was 100 degrees.

Came back to San Diego. Next morning started the car and the left front was low according to the TPM. Nothing wrong.

I suspect the drastic temperature change.
      09-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #3
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post

Cheers, Anteater.
I've had the TPM on my X3 act up just like you describe.Mostly in the summer and after a rain, I will get a warning light to come on.Also,during winter in slush...I've had the TPM warning come on.As Chuck92103 pointed out,I think extreme swings in temp does mess up the sensors at the wheel/tire level.I've always checked the psi after a light and it's always been right on the money.Thanks! PalBay
      09-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I checked my tire pressure. The fronts were 28 and the rear were 30. So the sennsor appears to alert after losing approx. 4psi.

I pumped them all up to 34 which is the middle ground recommendation between 2 and 4 passengers.
      12-17-2010, 03:02 AM   #5
kaii73
Scott
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 X6

Same problem Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
I checked my tire pressure. The fronts were 28 and the rear were 30. So the sennsor appears to alert after losing approx. 4psi.

I pumped them all up to 34 which is the middle ground recommendation between 2 and 4 passengers.

I'm having the same problem right now with my 328i! I have to check the pressure, but I'm certain the psi will be normal. I think that it has something to do with the pressure drop as well. It's getting cold right now in Italy and every morning the car is frozen. It happens when I start driving and once reset it's ok. That's wierd! Hopefully my new X6 won't do the same thing when I receive next week.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
NFSBMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: X6M MY10 Monte Carlo Blue

In Australia you can get your tires filled with nitrogen for $25 for all wheels for the life of the tires. Nitrogen is nowhere near affected by heat or cold, so it wont set off your TPM, plus it doesn't "leak" as much as air so there is no need to check pressures constantly. I've now done close to 40,000km on the Bridgestone RFTs supplied with car, never had a TPM alert and check the pressures every few months and seldom need to top up the nitro. Use it on my other cars too.
Appreciate 0