XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
Spacem5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

x5m ecu flash upgrade

So picked up my 2011 carbon black/cinnamon X5M two weeks ago. Already upgraded to style 215 black rims,have ordered black grills and am considering adding vorsteiner carbon fiber front lip. Actually like the exhaust note so have no plans to upgrade the exhaust, although I do miss my M5 with the race Eisenmann. Have decided to add more hp after the initial 1500mi service but am not sure which one. Have looked at ESS tuning, Powerchip, Eurocharged, Active Autowerkes and Dinan. Any recommendations or experiences, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated. Live in Michigan so need to find an experienced local shop as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
NavM
M-Sport
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Congrats. X5M is such a wonderful car. That is a great color combination. I was ready to purchase one with the same ext/int color to replace the "family car" but being primarily my wife's car, she talked me out of it, so ended up ordering X5 with Msport for her

I would go with ESS or eurocharged. DINAN is great but considerably more expensive. ESS offers the flash tool so you don't have to send in the ECU. Eurocharged offers the same device but I am not sure if it is available for X5M at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

I would go with the Active Autowerke tune. We have done a number of these in house here in Northern California and had impressive results from Active on the X5M. Here is a dyno from their recent tune in Miami. We can arrange to have your ECU sent to them if you are not local to an Authorized Active Autowerke Tuning Center.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

The ESS tune is a great option since they offer the hand held flash kit so there is no need to ship your ECU out. When a tune is purchased, ESS will ship a flash loader directly to your door. You can then use the loader to upload your car’s factory software, email it to ESS for editing, and ESS will email a completed tuned file directly to you. The flash loader will allow you to reinstall the tuned file without removing your DME from the car, and with no downtime!

04-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
Spacem5
Private
Rep

The ESS option seems appealing. What is the turn around time in terms of emailing and reflashing? Can you also return the vehicle to original specs? It seems all the vendors promise about 40-50hp gains, so why is Dinan twice as much money? Lastly, what about warranty issues? Will the dealer recognize a software change if the car is brought in for service?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
NavM
M-Sport
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

If you get the flash loader, you can switch between OEM and tuned files.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477687

I wouldn't worry about the dealers. Just go back to OEM file when you take it in for service.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
Spacem5
Private
Rep

Well, I'm definitely sold on the ESS setup. Will be ordering it soon. Want to reach my initial service check at 1200mi and will then install it. Thanks for everyone's help. Glad to have such insight from other members.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
E39hijinks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Lexus

I would go with oetuning.com. i guarantee they'd (for lack of a better phrase) sh!t all over those other tunes.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacem5 View Post
Well, I'm definitely sold on the ESS setup. Will be ordering it soon. Want to reach my initial service check at 1200mi and will then install it. Thanks for everyone's help. Glad to have such insight from other members.
Sounds good We have the ESS hand held flash kits ready to go.
      04-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
eugeneflim
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Even though modern engines can take a lot of abuse, consider giving it a little bit more time (like at least 5K miles) before chipping it. This hopefully will allow it to last longer.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
NiceRide
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeneflim View Post
Even though modern engines can take a lot of abuse, consider giving it a little bit more time (like at least 5K miles) before chipping it. This hopefully will allow it to last longer.
It'll also allow you to enjoy your beast for a few more thousand miles before your warranty is denied.....

These 4.4 tt engines haven't quite proven to be reliable in the real world, it's a big gamble. You pay to play, and as long as you understand the possible ramifications of having a modification that'll shave no more than 0.5 seconds off your quater-mile times yet carry a potentially hefty price tag down the line....then fine. After all, it is your money and only you can decide if it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 01:13 AM   #12
Spacem5
Private
Rep

I appreciate the feedback and your concerns. My impression is that the 4.4t powerplant is conservatively tuned by BMW and has room to spare. Obviously, Dinan must feel reasonably comfortable to offer their product and maintain a full warranty. I'm sure the extra $2000 Dinan charges for their ecu upgrade won't cover the cost of a major engine meltdown, particularly since Dinan probably only sells a handful of their upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #13
NiceRide
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M Alpine White

Conservatively tuned doesn't equate to reliability. All factory turbo cars come with quite a bit of wiggle room on the tune. I would take Dinan's warranty coverage with a grain of salt. When shit hits the fan everybody's pointing fingers, and it's usually enthusiasts like you and me left holding the bag. With that said I'd feel most comfortable with a Dinan tune over the other vendors.

Disclaimer: I do NOT practice what I preach when it comes to modding. Always preach about not modding parts that possibly void manuf warranty, but end up doing it anyways. Mod bug bites very, very hard sometimes...
Appreciate 0