XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
ferrari
Rep
Drives: X6M

Dinan Software for X6M

8 Series chip = $250
M e92 flash = $800.

Why is our pricing $3,500 for 50+ hp?

I can't get my head around this.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Just a thought - those other chips/flashes are probably not doing much (hard to get more HP out of a NA car). However with turbos, you can adjust the boost and get some real power increases and apparently that is worth more money

Also, maybe some of that $3,500 goes for extra warranty coverage (as in, increasing boost has a better chance of blowing up an engine vs. some sort of remap on an NA car).
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
ferrari
Rep

I thought about the turbo point but you may also be right about the improved performance. At first I thought $3,500 for 50+ doesn't seem like a great deal. However the $800 flash for the e92M only provides 9 hp. So proportionally I guess it's reasonable in Dinan terms.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
black650xi
Banned
Rep
Drives: sapphire black 650xi

Has anyone gotten a Stage 1 / 2 / 3 Dinan upgrade on their X6M? I believe one of the Stages is installtion of the Dinan Free flow exhaust...does the X6M still need this exhaust or can we use the OEM exhaust? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by black650xi View Post
Has anyone gotten a Stage 1 / 2 / 3 Dinan upgrade on their X6M? I believe one of the Stages is installtion of the Dinan Free flow exhaust...does the X6M still need this exhaust or can we use the OEM exhaust? Thanks
There is only stage 1 available which is the ECU flash. supposedly they are making stage 2 release this spring according to my SA, we'll see if thats true. But you don't need to do the exhaust but I'd recommend it if you want to really hear your beast. There are a bunch of other exhausts to choose from ranging from $400-7500 you could pair any with the tune or leave it stock. I'd recommend this tune if you want piece of mind and not have to worry about changing back to stock or worry about damage from tuning it. The other tune that seems really good is Velos, check them out they get some serious power out of it because they dont have to worry about paying for warranty claims like dinan. I have done every upgrade they offer, tune, exhaust and suspension and am really happy with it, it hauls ass. This isn't my fastest car and I had no intention of making it as fast as possible, i just did these upgrades to make it a fun and reliable daily driver and it sure is

there is a member on here who ran a 12.35 in the 1/4 miles with dinan ecu and exhaust on his first time ever making a pass on the strip, i'm pretty sure it is a lot faster than that with more practice. I'm going to get some passes in this year when it warms up to see what numbers dinan can really produce

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
ferrari
Rep

MrMomo,

I read on another thread that the Dinan flash gets rid of the turbo lag in "D." Did you experience that benefit? That would make me consider it along with the 75 ft. lbs increase, etc. The lag in curves in D drive is not good on the X6M.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari View Post
MrMomo,

I read on another thread that the Dinan flash gets rid of the turbo lag in "D." Did you experience that benefit? That would make me consider it along with the 75 ft. lbs increase, etc. The lag in curves in D drive is not good on the X6M.
Yup, IMO this is how it should have came from the factory. I didn't really get to drive it stock too long, just after break in I got it installed. Kind of forgot what it was like stock but I'd say now there is virtually no lag (its comfortable to drive around in D, and in M mode you get immediate throttle response while in D), the gearing is setup better, I think MPG actually improved not that anyone cares with these cars but I guess thats a plus haha

DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
ferrari
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313 View Post
Yup, IMO this is how it should have came from the factory. I didn't really get to drive it stock too long, just after break in I got it installed. Kind of forgot what it was like stock but I'd say now there is virtually no lag (its comfortable to drive around in D, and in M mode you get immediate throttle response while in D), the gearing is setup better, I think MPG actually improved not that anyone cares with these cars but I guess thats a plus haha
Good to know, maybe time to look into that while the discount is on.

While I'm at it, I may look into the exhaust. I'm thinking the black tips may look good on a black truck. Do you have any photos of yours? I've seen some crazy fitments on X5's. I assume they fit well and not like this:

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep

I don't have any good pics but there is one shot of it on this thread I made for my wheels

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776852

DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
black650xi
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313 View Post
There is only stage 1 available which is the ECU flash. supposedly they are making stage 2 release this spring according to my SA, we'll see if thats true. But you don't need to do the exhaust but I'd recommend it if you want to really hear your beast. There are a bunch of other exhausts to choose from ranging from $400-7500 you could pair any with the tune or leave it stock. I'd recommend this tune if you want piece of mind and not have to worry about changing back to stock or worry about damage from tuning it. The other tune that seems really good is Velos, check them out they get some serious power out of it because they dont have to worry about paying for warranty claims like dinan. I have done every upgrade they offer, tune, exhaust and suspension and am really happy with it, it hauls ass. This isn't my fastest car and I had no intention of making it as fast as possible, i just did these upgrades to make it a fun and reliable daily driver and it sure is

there is a member on here who ran a 12.35 in the 1/4 miles with dinan ecu and exhaust on his first time ever making a pass on the strip, i'm pretty sure it is a lot faster than that with more practice. I'm going to get some passes in this year when it warms up to see what numbers dinan can really produce
Dianan Stage 1 , 2 , 3 are available for the X6 or at least that is what I have been told...

http://www.dinancars.com/shop/index....rive50i#page=1
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #11
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dianan Stage 1 , 2 , 3 are available for the X6 or at least that is what I have been told...

http://www.dinancars.com/shop/index....rive50i#page=1
I thought you were talking about the x6m since thats what the OP asked about, yeah the 50i has all those stages

DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #12
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Just saw this thread. I totally recommend the Dinan extras. I have the Dinan exhaust, the Dinan suspension and the Dinan software on my X6M and love 'em. Got all done at the same time in SEPT 2011 (or so). No issues whatsoever. Very pleased.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #13
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

I've had Dinan software and exhaust on an E90 M3 and really like the added power and sound, however Dinan does not make the most power. Their quoted power numbers are accurate, but I wanted more power so I left Dinan for ESS. As for the Dinan exhaust, they make a quality quality that sounds great. I would definitely recommend them as one of the top exhausts on the market. However, I now prefer Eisenmann over Dinan. I'm gettin X6M in two weeks and am looking forward to some mods!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
Mdelo79
United_States
Rep

IMO check out AA (Active Autowerk) software 90hp gain.. Way more bang for your buck. It's like having a stage 2 M button.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
black650xi
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess///M View Post
Just saw this thread. I totally recommend the Dinan extras. I have the Dinan exhaust, the Dinan suspension and the Dinan software on my X6M and love 'em. Got all done at the same time in SEPT 2011 (or so). No issues whatsoever. Very pleased.
So effectively there are three stages of the Dinan upgrade. Can you tell me if the Stage 1 2 & 3 include only software updates?

Also, for the exhausts did you use the oem bumper or did you get the X6M bumper? Also, is it worth having the Stage 3?

Last edited by black650xi; 03-21-2013 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #16
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So effectively there are three stages of the Dinan upgrade. Can you tell me if the Stage 1 2 & 3 include only software updates?

Also, for the exhausts did you use the oem bumper or did you get the X6M bumper? Also, is it worth having the Stage 3?
I have an X6M, so no new bumper needed. I did, however, add the Vorsteiner carbon fiber rear diffuser and front spoiler. All three Dinan items are independent additions. The software is the only version available for the X6M now, so I presume if there is a follow on, it will be the "stage 2." I hope I understood your question correctly.

If you have a brand new car or one with remaining warranty, I recommend the Dinan hands down. I am not aware of any other aftermarket tuner that will work with BMW should there be a claim. BTW, Dinan makes a great product for the X6M. Fitment and finish are excellent - like OEM, in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 01:43 AM   #17
rbudiman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Nissan GTR Black Edition,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdelo79 View Post
IMO check out AA (Active Autowerk) software 90hp gain.. Way more bang for your buck. It's like having a stage 2 M button.
Did you install this software on yours? if yeah, how has it been working for you? any issues?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #18
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Hey all,

I just picked up an X5M on Saturday. I love the car and can't believe how comfortable and agile it is for such a heavy vehicle.

Ditched the RFT and put on conti DWS since I live in Boston. What a difference.

Anyways I ended up getting an ESS tune from Roman. I have always been very Dinan loyal with my E90 M3 (which I still own). However the 3500 for software is a bit crazy. Luckily my dealer is very good to me (BMW Norwell) and know I like to modify and won't have any issues going with another tune.

so far the tune has definitely made the car sharper in normal and M mode. Throttle response is alot better and the car just pulls like crazy once into 2nd gear and beyond. I would consider ESS similar in a way to Dinan. If something does go wrong I know Roman and ESS will be there to help. Plus you can't ignore their pricing for this tune.

I will be doing the Dinan suspension and exhaust. I'm interested in hearing those that have the suspension from Dinan if it has had any affect with the air suspension in the rear and if the car is too bouncy or if it feels alot more planted.

I appreciate Dinans method when it comes to suspension to really take into consideration every variable of the vehicle. I don't need this car slammed as its a DD and our roads are horrible. The M3 is low enough for me with the Dinan coilover set up (which is very nice BTW and quiet).

I just wish we could do some type of DP or X pipe on this car without having emissions issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #19
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
Hey all,

I just picked up an X5M on Saturday. I love the car and can't believe how comfortable and agile it is for such a heavy vehicle.

Ditched the RFT and put on conti DWS since I live in Boston. What a difference.

Anyways I ended up getting an ESS tune from Roman. I have always been very Dinan loyal with my E90 M3 (which I still own). However the 3500 for software is a bit crazy. Luckily my dealer is very good to me (BMW Norwell) and know I like to modify and won't have any issues going with another tune.

so far the tune has definitely made the car sharper in normal and M mode. Throttle response is alot better and the car just pulls like crazy once into 2nd gear and beyond. I would consider ESS similar in a way to Dinan. If something does go wrong I know Roman and ESS will be there to help. Plus you can't ignore their pricing for this tune.

I will be doing the Dinan suspension and exhaust. I'm interested in hearing those that have the suspension from Dinan if it has had any affect with the air suspension in the rear and if the car is too bouncy or if it feels alot more planted.

I appreciate Dinans method when it comes to suspension to really take into consideration every variable of the vehicle. I don't need this car slammed as its a DD and our roads are horrible. The M3 is low enough for me with the Dinan coilover set up (which is very nice BTW and quiet).

I just wish we could do some type of DP or X pipe on this car without having emissions issues.
I have the Dinan suspension. Love it. The look is just right, as I are the handling and ride.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep

Agreed with Jess ^^. Dinan knows what they are doing when it comes to tuning BMWs, especially with their racing heritage. I would never hesitate to recommend any of their products. The exhaust is great as well, just wish they made some damn downpipes for us!!!

DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #21
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Your going to need the exhaust for the stages to perform top notch, i wanted to keep my stock but for me to go into stage 4 i had no choice. I drove it with stage 4 and intercoolers for 2 weeks, after i got the exhaust there was a deference. It sounds dumb to me about how a exhaust could change the performance but after this experience i had, now i know what they mean.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #22
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Thanks guys for the heads up on the suspension for this car. Looking forward to the upgrades. My Dinan XPipe for my M3 cracked right where the resonators are welded

So I asked Dinan if I could do a package on getting a new x pipe, exhaust for the x5 and the suspension. I have to say they are very good to their customers and so is my dealer (BMW NORWELL). If you live in MA go see Tom Toppan. He is a great guy and the Dinan rep there.

I can definitely feel the restrictiveness on the tune with the exhaust on the car. It's not getting the exhaust gases out quickly enough with the turbos spooling.

Hopefully should have it next week.

Getting the latest K40 RL360i installed today! I love this system!

Also getting DVD In motion installed! Going on a road trip this weekend and looking forward to carving up some mountain roads.

It's amazing the pace this vehicle has around bends. You definitely don't junk you are going as fast as you are. With the suspension I'm sure it will be great
Appreciate 0