XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #1
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X6, MHD Stage 2

BMW X6 35i N55 engine suddenly shut off while driving!

Long post pls. kindly read and help me.
My car: 2010 X6 35i
it has about 18,000 miles in it
Has N55 engine not N54

Was driving it while ago,
I mistakenly entered a one way street and I had quickly to make a u turn. The street was quite narrow so I had to go forward and reverse a couple of times.

As I was turning left to finish the full U-Turn, suddenly the accelerator was not responding and the car wasn't moving! I think the engine RPM was not moving also. But steering was NOT locked though. I was in a rush so I didnt remember what exactly happened.

I'm not 100% sure that the engine shut off by itself but I really think it did. I was blocking the way of many cars and they were honking their horns. So I kinda panicked for a while and didn't remember much.

All I remember was (not 100% sure):
1. The accelerator was not responsive.
2. I tried moving the shift knob but I think nothing happened, I thought I was in Neutral.
2. The steering wheel is NOT locked.
3. I think I didn't accidentally pressed the "engine push start/stop button" while turning cause if I have pressed it then it should have locked the steering wheel right?
4. Not sure but I think, (without pressing the Engine start/stop button) I was able to pull the key fob out of the slot

I just quickly restarted the car and drove on. Everything seems to be ok. But now I'm scared, This happened for the 1st time in many years that I've owned this car. What if this happens when I'm driving fast on the highway???

Earlier that day, I had a car wash, some water accidentally got in the engine bay cause my carbon fiber hood is vented. The guy who washed my car was using a pressure washer so water got in. Rain dont usually get in. Water was mostly on the left side of the engine bay. (If you are facing it while opening the hood, right side if you are seating inside the car). I wiped the water immediately. Most water was on the engine cover.

Could SUDDEN ENGINE SHUT OFF be related to this?
Has this happened to anyone?
I'm very worried...
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 08:58 AM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

You said that your steering wasn't locked meaning it didn't feel super tight and was still able to turn it with normal effort?

If thats the case then your engine wasn't turned off because if it was then the steering would have instantly stiffened up to the point where its nearly impossible to turn.

I've done this with my F15 X5 where in the middle of doing a tight u turn shifting from D to R several times where I didn't depress the brake pedal enough for the car to engage into gear so the car is just sitting there limp until i realize that I was in neutral.

If your car did in deed stall i'm sure the ecu would have logged some codes.

Alan
      11-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #3
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Does your car have auto start stop? This happened when I was driving an Evoque and it didn't turn on after shutting down while waiting at a red light. Then a bunch of notifications about special programs not activated or something like that. I had to actually turn off the car then restart it and it drove normally since the fiasco.

ASS may activate when coming to a stop then switch from D to R.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi 6spd

I'd bring it to the dealer see if there are any faults. Most of the time I see this with valvetronic faults. Replaced many shafts and motors for stalling.

Lastly your steering will not lock on this vehicle but you will lose hydraulic steering when it shuts off
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #5
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
You said that your steering wasn't locked meaning it didn't feel super tight and was still able to turn it with normal effort?

If thats the case then your engine wasn't turned off because if it was then the steering would have instantly stiffened up to the point where its nearly impossible to turn.

I've done this with my F15 X5 where in the middle of doing a tight u turn shifting from D to R several times where I didn't depress the brake pedal enough for the car to engage into gear so the car is just sitting there limp until i realize that I was in neutral.

If your car did in deed stall i'm sure the ecu would have logged some codes.

Alan
That's what I'm unsure of, if i was in neutral or not, cause everything was happening so fast and I was also scared of being apprehended by police. That is why i restarted the car immediately cause the car wasn't moving and I think the rpm needle also didnt move...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post
Does your car have auto start stop? This happened when I was driving an Evoque and it didn't turn on after shutting down while waiting at a red light. Then a bunch of notifications about special programs not activated or something like that. I had to actually turn off the car then restart it and it drove normally since the fiasco.

ASS may activate when coming to a stop then switch from D to R.
No, the car doesnt have Auto start stop function

This happened for the 1st time that is why im confused and worrying
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #7
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Overwhelmingly the factor that you were getting into a 'panic mode' that should probably be the source of the problem.

The pressure washer incident, maybe was a factor - but the time lapse between cause and effect makes it less likely to be the cause.

Other factors, certainly - but the coincidence of it happening when making an illegal U-turn is kind of remote.

Logically the fact you were on the verge of panic would make the most sense that you manipulated a control incorrectly.

Last edited by overcoil; 11-10-2015 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 10:07 AM   #8
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abax335 View Post
I'd bring it to the dealer see if there are any faults. Most of the time I see this with valvetronic faults. Replaced many shafts and motors for stalling.

Lastly your steering will not lock on this vehicle but you will lose hydraulic steering when it shuts off
What is valvetronic exactly?

I've read this article: http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559401

It seems that x5/x6 35i/50i has this problem...

cause in their scenarios, they were also going slow and turning left when the engine shuts off.. however some were going considerably fast like 30mph with steering locking up..

The bad part here is that I'm not 100% sure whether the engine shut off by itself or if I was just in panic and the gear was in neutral..

But i'm sure that the steering wheel didnt lock up. I think it stayed the same,

Are there instances that the engine shuts off by itself but the steering wheel does not lock up?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 10:08 AM   #9
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Again I'd get the faults read out and not with a regular scanner since I don't believe they will pick up faults if there is no CEL.

Also even if he had auto stop/start while turning the wheel that would cause the engine to turn on.

Still believe its going to be something valvetronic related. It's common on the earlier n55's. Think there is a SIB for tolerances and binding of the shaft.

Where are you located ? What throw me off is you were driving otherwise there are also programming issues with dme for cold start again on earlier production n55
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #10
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Again I'd get the faults read out and not with a regular scanner since I don't believe they will pick up faults if there is no CEL.

Also even if he had auto stop/start while turning the wheel that would cause the engine to turn on.

Still believe its going to be something valvetronic related. It's common on the earlier n55's. Think there is a SIB for tolerances and binding of the shaft.

Where are you located ? What throw me off is you were driving otherwise there are also programming issues with dme for cold start again on earlier production n55
Is this the VANOS?
I already had it changed by the dealer many months ago
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #11
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstve View Post
Is this the VANOS?
I already had it changed by the dealer many months ago
Like I said the wheel won't lock up on this vehicle, only the older e90s from 06-7ish had electronic locking.

VANOS and valvetronic are two different things.

Vanos is for timing, valvetronic is for valve lift. Two different systems
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #12
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Like I said the wheel won't lock up on this vehicle, only the older e90s from 06-7ish had electronic locking.

Thank you very much
I will have those checked

Pls tell me what will happen if the engine suddenly shuts off while I'm going fast, will the brakes still work? and the steering still responsive to movements?

Can I just push the engine button to restart the engine even while coasting?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #13
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Could the sudden shut off be related to the guy accidentally wetting my engine bay? maybe alternator problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #14
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstve View Post
Could the sudden shut off be related to the guy accidentally wetting my engine bay? maybe alternator problem?
At least your engine bay is sparkling clean now.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #15
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The water most likely won't cause an issue. If it does its usually present immediately.

You will have mechanical brakes and steering without hydraulic assist so brake pedal will take alot of effort and steering wheel be very tight but present.

Brakes will also have some vacuum in them until it depletes so you will get a few good solid pumps like the engine was on but then it will be tock hard and take serious effort.

Never tried restarting while coasting, not sure. I know the vehicle required park or neutral but the tpadspeed may be a red flag and not let it start
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #16
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also I wash my engine bay all the time. Not with high pressure but will a regular garden hose. On all of my cars and never had an issue. Fords don't like water. Our cars are OK.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 02:20 PM   #17
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

No offence. You don't know what happened. Just drive the thing.

Any car can die without warning at any time.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 08:03 AM   #18
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Also I wash my engine bay all the time. Not with high pressure but will a regular garden hose. On all of my cars and never had an issue. Fords don't like water. Our cars are OK.
I drove it for a few days, it seems ok, i'll find time to have it checked soon

Thanks for the info regarding the valvetronic
Appreciate 0