XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Gray · E70 X5M

Does anyone make a Flex Fuel sensor and tune it?

Are their any tuners for the X5M who also make a flex fuel sensor? Just thinking about the gains that could come from E85.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 06:39 AM   #2
Crazy1323
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

I think the problem would be fuel flow. With bolt on mods people are pushing the limits of the factory fuel system. I don't think you could flow enough fuel to get any benefit from the higher octane.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 08:00 AM   #3
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Does the problem occur with the pump or the injector? Or both?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
Crazy1323
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

I'm not sure which one is the limiting factor. I just remember reading that with downpipes and a tune you are running close to 100% duty cycle on the fuel system. It looks like no one make upgrades yet either.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #5
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Fuel pump for sure. In other non-BMW platforms, we're going 2x easily larger in terms of injector size. I bet the pump should get an upgrade if doing injectors.

That said, E85 is also very very temperamental. Meaning, the quality of the gas can vary a lot based on moisture content. E85 sitting, absorbs moisture faster than gasoline.

Cars that are driven daily, this is not an issue. Cars that could sit for a week or two, or for an entire season, this is an issue. This goes for the station itself too...

For the hardcore track junkies, they have a 55gal barrel and their own hand pump to fee their car, only after measuring for water content.
      11-09-2015, 02:33 PM   #6
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
Fuel pump for sure. In other non-BMW platforms, we're going 2x easily larger in terms of injector size. I bet the pump should get an upgrade if doing injectors.

That said, E85 is also very very temperamental. Meaning, the quality of the gas can vary a lot based on moisture content. E85 sitting, absorbs moisture faster than gasoline.

Cars that are driven daily, this is not an issue. Cars that could sit for a week or two, or for an entire season, this is an issue. This goes for the station itself too...

For the hardcore track junkies, they have a 55gal barrel and their own hand pump to fee their car, only after measuring for water content.
I have a good amount of experience with E85.
  • Ethanol percentage from pump to pump varies only a few percentage points. This is a non issue with flex fuel.
  • E85 sitting shouldnt happen. 1 or 2 weeks is not an issue at all. All season, yes.. but you dont want to do that with any fuel. All combined fluids seperate with time.

for those that are uneducated on flex fuel and what it does, see below.

The sensor is tapped in to the wiring harness and the sensor is ran directly to the fuel line at the fuel rail. It makes real time adjustments based on the level of ethanol in the fuel. The tuner does a baseline at 93, adds e85 in stages... around 15% at a time all the way up to 100% or to when your fuel system has had enough. This gives you the ability to pull up to a pump with 5 gallons in your tank and fill the rest with e85, or to pull up with 2 gallons of e85 and filling the rest of the way with unleaded. it's really THAT easy with a good sensor and tuner. Most of the gains come from E85 in the first half of tuning (50% and under). After that the gains are not as steep.

My guess from the limited amount of X5M's in the wild and then the limited amount of those who want to mod... This would be the issue. Flash tunes vs custom tunes show that.

A lot of people get real scared when it comes to E85 and 99% of the time it's just a lack of education.
Appreciate 0