XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-19-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
newguy39
Rep
Drives: 392 Challenger

Need some advise!

Hey guys,

Just a little background info, I am fresh out of university, and I am an accountant (but not the accountant who wants to buy the typical accountant car, like a Honda Accord!. So buying a BMW is kind of a treat to myself, before I have to settle down and put the wife and kids purchases before mine!

I am looking at buying a used 2010 x6 50i with 80,000 KM's (buying in Canada). The vehicle is fully loaded and comes with a second set of tires (winter one's). I have the car proof and the vehicle 120 point inspection (completed by seller dealership, NOT BMW) and everything is clean. The x6 was traded in on an Infinity(so purchasing from an Infinity dealership). The price of the vehicle is $48,000 +tax Canadian, and I have the option to purchase extended warranty from the dealership(link to what warranty covers is below), which seems pretty extensive for an extra $4800. Just wondering what you guys think and if it is worth considering. I am waiting to hear back from the dealership on an answer if they are going to let me take the x6 to a BMW dealer to get a proper inspection completed.

What do you guys think? Should I take the deal or not? Or is there anything I am over looking? Sorry for all the questions, this is my first big purchase, and I am just like everyone else who just wants piece of mind that what I am purchasing is worth what I am paying.

Thanks for any help,
newguy39

http://www.firstcanadian.ca/document...o_brochure.pdf
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
newguy39
Rep
Drives: 392 Challenger

Just to add.....the warranty that I would be going with, is the Ultimate and Ultimate Wrap which is indicated by the green colour on the warranty brochure.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

I don't know anything about aftermarket warranties and how they work in Canada, but I would recommend a warranty for it. I bought mine this summer CPO. I don't think I'd buy a 50i without a warranty. They're reliable, but costs add up quick if something breaks.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Read the warranty language first carefully. I can tell you from personal experience here in Canada that these warranty companies will do anything not to pay for repairs. Be prepared for disputes and make sure you have a local dealer on your side that you can work with, this is probably the most important and critical since it will be the Dealership going to bat for you most of the time. These are not really warranties but insurance policies. Read the language on repair or replacement you will see phrases such as "Replacement parts may be new, rebuilt or of like kind and quality" which really means used or rebuilt. No matter what the sales guy tells you get everything in writing. Unless the warranty explicitly says OE parts you can expect most will not be original BMW parts. Also OE parts and OEM parts are two different things. Ask if re-programming is included in the repair. The sales pitch is always that these warranties cover exactly what the Factory warranty will, in fact they don't. Most of the discretion for the repair is in the underwriters favor, new, rebuilt off brand, used (LKO). Also, a lot of these warranties state that before any work can be approved a detailed inspection/troubleshoot needs to be forwarded to the underwriter for approval. If the underwriter does not approve you are stuck with the bill. There are some good warranties out there and lots of bad ones...the trick is to figure out which is which. i can advise you in Canada stay away from SAL Warranty or anything underwritten by IA Pacific (Formerly NorthWest). $4,800 is not bad here in Canada for an extended warranty for BMW, they are negotiable and there are big profit dollars for the selling party. One other point, sometimes the "policy administrator" is different than the Underwriter so find out who you will be dealing with in the event of claim. it is common for the Underwriter to "sell off" the policy amongst several different insurance companies and Underwriters to spread/limit their liability exposure to any one policy.

Last edited by denaliman; 11-19-2013 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

BMW offers extended Gold and Platinum warranties now, at least in the US. I would suggest of some research and check to see if they offer those in Canada or not. If they do, it would probably be the way to go.

No idea on the pricing as I am not familiar with the Canadian market, but I can say as a 2nd time X6 owner that you'll love the car if you get it!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

It is almost a four year old car/truck at this point. The depreciation is going to really kick in now. I personally just think there are better choices out there for $53K.
Appreciate 0