XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
DARE U
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Loud Clicking Sound During Strats Up?

Hi, I recently bought a X6 3.5I and during starts up, there is a loud clicking sound (sounded like engaging gear in a manual car) at the bottom even the car jerk a bit. Other time, its only sounded like a metal bar bang on a metal. Anyone here experienced this also with their ride?
Many thanks in advances...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 05:40 AM   #2
jouzef2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x6 5.0i

Sometimes i had the same
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

I have the same noise on my 35i, In fact it has been in the shop the last week for that problem and 4 others. I fear that it is a hydraulic lifter that is ticking during cold start-up and then later quiets after oil is pumped into it. I hope to have the X6 back next week and will post what they find.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 02:19 AM   #4
GeraG
Rep
Drives: X5, X6

I had the same sort of problem on my X5-08, which was fixed throgh SW upgrade
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
x6er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x6 35i black on black

In my 2010 35i, the engine sounds like a disel 4 cylinder in idle... another noise comes up when I accelerate, sounds like lifters sticking big time!!
both sounds since day 1...service manager diagnosis; normsal to BMW engines!!! he did not know that this is my 3rd BMW, none had the same issue, not even the 318. Anyhow, I thinkl it is the 35i engine...I am glad it is a lease!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
watoowatoo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 35i X6

The diesel like sound is because of direct injection I guess, even the M5 sounds like that at idle. But the metal ticking noise which is covered in 335i forum maybe because of waste-gate rattle and could be fixed by software update to keep it closed/open (I don't know which one) at idling. *I heard this can cause some turbo lag too.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 02:16 AM   #7
GeraG
Rep
Drives: X5, X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARE U View Post
Hi, I recently bought a X6 3.5I and during starts up, there is a loud clicking sound (sounded like engaging gear in a manual car) at the bottom even the car jerk a bit. Other time, its only sounded like a metal bar bang on a metal. Anyone here experienced this also with their ride?
Many thanks in advances...
As you describe, the noise happens once upon start up. If so most likely it I transmission and should be fixed with SW upgrade. I had the same issue with my X5.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #8
DARE U
Private
Rep

Done the SW upgrade but the noise still there when starting the engine. They suspect is the transfer case and they are in the process of replacing it at this moment and needed few days to do so.
Anyway, thanks for the reply and will keep you all posted once I received any news from them.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #9
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

Just got my X6 35i back from the dealer. It was there for 4 different issues, all were repaired except the ticking noise at start up. Service advisor said they could not duplicate the problem and that the fuel injection would sometime cause this noise. Not much I could say however, when the service manager happened to pull my car up from the cold lot in back. He got out and heard the ticking noise and said that those are lifters. He said he was calling BMW to get a set of lifters on the way and the neccessary gaskets to do the job next Tuesday, so we will see then. He also made a comment that may help anyone in the same situation. "He said if the ticking noise is louder upon start up and then eventually quiets or goes away completely you can bet its a lifter problem" Hope this helps.

Last edited by bak; 12-29-2010 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
DARE U
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bak View Post
Just got my X6 35i back from the dealer. It was there for 4 different issues, all were repaired except the ticking noise at start up. Service advisor said they could not duplicate the problem and that the fuel injection would sometime cause this noise. Not much I could say however, when the service manager happened to pull my car up from the cold lot in back. He got out and heard the ticking noise and said that those are lifters. He said he was calling BMW to get a set of lifters on the way and the neccessary gaskets to do the job next Tuesday, so we will see then. He also made a comment that may help anyone in the same situation. "He said if the ticking noise is louder upon start up and then eventually quiets or goes away completely you can bet its a lifter problem" Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info! So far my car still at the BMW workshop, and they told me they suspect is either the starter OR clutch that is making the loud "crancking" noise at starts up. So they are removing it to have a further look at this moment...kinda bad luck for me..oh well...
Appreciate 0