XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
PeteMoss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

DTEC V7 Review

Hi All,

I know there have been loads of chatter about Angel Eyes in the forums but I wanted to give some initial feedback of the DTec v7 lights and about the folks from e92-lighting.com.

First I want to thanks to say Derrick from e92-lighting for giving excellent customer service and helping me out in a pinch. Shipping was swift and even received the lights at a discounted rate. Communication using their live chat services was fluid an convenient during the installation. To my surprise, I also received a follow up call from Derrick after claiming trouble with my install.

During my install, I wasn't able to get one of the lights to fit the properly with the heat sink facing up (both left and right side). Tried for hours and ended up damaging two of the LEDs during the process. Derrick from e92 immediately sent me a replacement at no extra cost. A few days later, the replacement arrived was installed in minutes (fit like a glove). It seems one of the cogs were slightly larger than the house in the X5. I'm not an expert on fabrication but I know these things can happen. No big deal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/odw90tw5h35u1rf/Light.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ihelb1o3ttdyrb9/housing.jpeg

Now for the performance... So far, I'm happy with the DTecs. These lights are bright! At night I observed they are slightly cooler than Xenon HID but look factory (like how it should). Without seeing a 2012 + side by side, I'd say they look the same (but I know you can't compare). At night, I can't help by say, wow! What a difference... Even the wife was impressed.

In the mean time, here is an initial pic taken from an iphone 5 during an overcast morning. I'll try to take some more using a proper camera later.

Fade in/ Fade Out feature: As described, the lights fade on like the OEM. During shut down, the lights seem to have a very tiny pulsation towards the end (its very fast). This is not a game changer by any means but wanted to point out their website states "does not flicker at all". I'll follow up with a video when I have a chance.

Long terms impressions will follow. So far, so good.
Edit/Delete Message

Last edited by PeteMoss; 04-19-2014 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
PeteMoss
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here are the TDECs in direct sunlight.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
TazOjla
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5

Garage List
2007 BMW M5  [0.00]
2009 BMW X5  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing

These look absolouteley great

I don't suppose you could take a pic at night of them and them next to a 2012 E70?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Those do look great. Lovely Deep Sea Blue you have there mate.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 10:29 PM   #5
W84IT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe M Sport

Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
PeteMoss
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazOjla View Post
These look absolouteley great

I don't suppose you could take a pic at night of them and them next to a 2012 E70?

Thanks
At night, they look amazingly bright, it's hard to depict a shot because the glare but they look impressive. I had it next to a newer X3 at night and the DTECS shined brighter I guess because the OEM lights dim a little with he HID lights on. The 2012s + cars have more light density (think of it like more pixels per square inch) because they use a different technology for light emission.

The X3 owner thought they looked pretty dam good.
Appreciate 0