XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
bleudyno
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Melbourne Red X6///M

Garage List
2010 X6M  [9.50]
2010 X6M  [0.00]
Dyno'd my X6M yesterday

Had to get a baseline reading before I put in the Tune and the exhaust. For anyone that is curious, here ya go:

X6///M Melbourne Red/Merino Black leather MODS: Matte black grill, Tinted head lights, Euro clear side reflectors w/ tint, Tinted white stip on tail lights, 22" Iforged Legacy Convave (Matte black center with Gloss black lip) RPI Race exhaust, Vorsteiner CF front lip, CF rear deck lid spoiler, CF rear diffuser, vented CF race hood, RPI intake scoops UPCOMING MODS: RPI software tune
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

THX !
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
bleudyno
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 X6M  [9.50]
2010 X6M  [0.00]
Video of my car on the dyno.....it got really loud!

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gg0OmZv7-Yk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gg0OmZv7-Yk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

X6///M Melbourne Red/Merino Black leather MODS: Matte black grill, Tinted head lights, Euro clear side reflectors w/ tint, Tinted white stip on tail lights, 22" Iforged Legacy Convave (Matte black center with Gloss black lip) RPI Race exhaust, Vorsteiner CF front lip, CF rear deck lid spoiler, CF rear diffuser, vented CF race hood, RPI intake scoops UPCOMING MODS: RPI software tune
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
darkseid2k
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '10 E71, '11 E92

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
Good results, peak torque is delivered pretty early. Looking forward to the dyno after tune.

Your rear wheels look massive while on the dyno - great looking car!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

awesome car!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Love those black wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

X6M Power Output Graph

Ur dyno is similar to x6M sales brochure graph except for the 500 rpm higher where power slope meets torque slope.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Brake hp/tq vs chassis dyno figures - typically lower by about 15 percent.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 01:49 AM   #9
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Test the testers !

Every "Standard" or "Reference benchmark" needs to be qualified by consistent scientific repeatable/reproduceable results & methodology.
There may simply not have been sufficient owners of x6's who volunteered their vehicles to Dinan for tuning, so Dinan cannot claim they know everything about the x6's re-tuning.
I'm sure there r enuf 3 series w/ the N54 engine, (same one in the X6 3.5i), that has been successfully retuned by Dinan.
Just because it's the same engine, does not mean it may not have different proprietary tuning software in another model.
Ditto for the 4.4 L v8 tt in the x6 5.0i

I surmise there r sufficient liability issues, in light of recent issues w/ Toyota vehicles, for BMW to tamper proof the ECUs in their vehicles..thus, aftermarket tuning becomes more difficult.

http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/technia...ern-bmw-engine
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 01:51 AM   #10
X6 V8TT
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 5.0

Love the color of your car man. What type of wheel do you have?
21" Double Spoke Wheels
Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
Mrubino83
Registered
Rep
Drives: 400 whp Pump gas evo x

Is hb speed tuning your car? Can you post some more info on the rpi software your using?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #12
bleudyno
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 X6M  [9.50]
2010 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X6 V8TT View Post
Love the color of your car man. What type of wheel do you have?
They are 22" Iforged Sprints in Textured black (matte black) center and polished black lip. 10's in the front, 11's in the rear

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
bleudyno
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 X6M  [9.50]
2010 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrubino83 View Post
Is hb speed tuning your car? Can you post some more info on the rpi software your using?
HB Speed is not tuning my car. They were the only place that had a 4 wheel dyno that I could find close to me. They did a pretty good job and the owner, Jon, is a cool guy.

As far as the software, RPI uploaded their new tune to my car on Saturday at the Pre M-Fest meet. The car definately pulls harder so now I have to go back to HB Speed to get another dyno to see what the gains are. Right now, the tune was set at a conservative level. I will be giving them my feedback so they can tweek things a little more to get more power. I am really confident that their tune will be great once it is officially done. The guy that actually wrote the tune uploaded to my car. He was REALLY knowledgeable about what he was doing so there is no question in my mind that my car is in good hands. Be aware, anyone looking into the Singh tune, be careful as i have heard that their tune wasn't written by a knowledgeable person.

Anyway, I will be posting new dynos and updates as this progresses. Once done, RPI will be doing an exhaust for my car.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 11:47 PM   #14
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just an FYI.

While watching your guy do the dyno test, it looks like he may have not had enough air going through your radiator. Dinan has been saying that BMW's engine o0perating software is really sophisticated. Once it realizes it's not getting enough air through the radiator, it cuts hp by retarding timing and making the air:fuel ratio much richer. Check out this tube video of the Dinan facilities at time stamp 13:00.

That's what archwerks was pointing out as well.

http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/technia...ern-bmw-engine
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #15
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I would recommend reading Dinan's web page noted above, but here's a quote:

Quote:
Steve Dinan:
By far the most significant criticism I have for many dyno facilities is the use of fans that are simply too small for the job at hand. The fan size is so significant that we employ a very large unit that was actually designed for ventilation systems installed in high rise buildings! This powerful fan produces 38,000 cfm of air flow @ 75 MPH, which is still less than the 150 MPH air that a modern BMW might see at redline in 5th gear, but it certainly provides a closer to real-world scenario than the more common fans I have seen used in dyno facilities. It should be noted that 5th gear is used for our dyno testing because it is one to one, meaning that the input and output shafts are connected, reducing power losses and transmission wear. I have seen many examples of dyno facilities where low flow fans obtained from the local hardware store are employed, and even situations where there was no fan at all. A minimum of 15,000 cfm and preferably 40,000 cfm of air flow is required for proper heat exchanging. This type of fan will produce a 40-80 mph air discharge velocity.

A lack of air-flow during dyno testing will almost always alter the fuel mixture in the rich direction as the radiator cannot exchange enough heat, resulting in the computer compensating by retarding timing and richening the fuel mixture to prevent the engine from overheating and detonating. In addition, the intake air sensor will read substantially higher temperatures than that seen on the road with proper airflow. This issue is particularly important to address when testing high output cars like the M5 or M3, and even more so on forced induction cars with intercoolers as the heat exchanger is not able to cool as efficiently because of the reduced air flow. The engine compartment is normally flushed with air driving down the road, particularly at speed, cooling the manifolds and other associated engine components. Cooler engine components and lower air intake temperatures will result in a leaner air/fuel mixture and ignition timing will be advanced, invariably resulting in greater power on the road than on the dyno. In simpler terms, accurate measurements can only be achieved when the dyno tests are conducted in a manner that simulates the car driving down the road, in as much as is possible.
Attached Images

Last edited by teagueAMX; 04-01-2010 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #16
Mrubino83
Registered
Rep
Drives: 400 whp Pump gas evo x

bump to an old thread, but did you ever dyno after the exhaust and tune?
Appreciate 0