BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

05-11-2024, 04:35 PM   #1
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

Another Suspension Clunk Thread

My car started developing a clunking/popping noise in the suspension around August last year. My guess was the tie rods, which would affect the alignment to replace. Since the car is seasonal, I figured I'd put the car away a bit early, and do a full front end refresh. Over the Winter/Spring, I replaced/upgraded the following:

- BW Monoball Front Tension Arms (they are still using TRW, BTW)
- Lower Control Arms
- Tie Rods
- Hotchkis Sway Bars + SPL End Links

Car is about to hit 50k miles. Engine mounts were replaced at 43k with BW solid rubber mounts, which still look good from visual insepection. Still on original EDC suspension. Shop did a bunch of rear end work for me before checking the front end components and aligning. As a double check, I also re-torqued the steering rack to the subframe. Basically, only thing left untouched is the strut assembly. Car is also supercharged, so engine bay is probably hotter than typical.

Onto the noise. The front end is dead silent while the car is cold. After a bit of time (and heat), the noise starts. As you're making a turn, you will hear a pop (or series of pops) from the inside suspension of the turn. I.E. If you make a right turn, you will hear a pop from the right. Make a left, you hear a pop from the left. You also hear noise going in a straight line if there is suspension movement. This is very noticeable on speed bumps. It almost feels like there is slack in the suspension which then needs to be taken up. I hit a bump in the road on the left side, and it felt like that side just wasn't connected at all for a brief moment.

At this point, I suspect there is something going on with the top mount or spring tension. Any thoughts on this behavior? Would like to narrow down the suspect before I throw any more parts at the car. As much as an MCS 1WNR kit is catching my eye...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 07:21 PM   #2
JMARS
Not Baned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I've had this happen on and e92 335 and it was the top mounts on my front struts... good luck! Report back when you figure it out
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 05:54 PM   #3
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

https://youtu.be/sLhIdsPvESU

Captured a quick video of the clunking noise (volume up). Made a left turn, had an initial series of clunks (left side), and then another smaller clunk while straightening the wheel. It happens while driving in a straight line at times, too.

Getting it up in the air tonight. Will start with a visual check, but suspect I'm going to need to pull the struts. Can't think of anything else left that would be making this kind of noise.
Appreciate 0