XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-16-2021, 03:39 PM   #1
milhouse87
Registered
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 40D, 1989 E36 318is

2012 E70 40D high fuel consumption advice on what to check.

So my recently purchase x5 is using fuel. Lowest I can get it is 10l/100km driving like a complete nana. Putting the boot in every now and again rewards me with 16.5l/100.
I have tried to find posts on here and other forums but most point to fault codes and low coolant temps.

- I have no codes at all as read on my foxwell 510.
- I have checked boost pressures and max I am seeing is 28psi which I believe from research to be good.
- no smoke out the back and dpf has done a regen since we purchased it. (we have only done 350kms in it. And it regened 200km ago.
- coolant temps are running 91-95 deg C so seem ok.

When we first test drove it I thought it was down on power and had them check it at an independent mechanic. I talked to him and he found that there was a boost leak from swirl flap to actuator on manifold with low boost codes being thrown. . They fitted a new manifold and also found the glow plug controller was not communicating so swapped as well. On pick I I had purchased my scan tool and no codes were present. After this power was better but initially noticed it was staggering a bit under hard acceleration. It has not done this after dpf regen but I still get the feeling it's down on power compared to our e70 35d we had 5 years ago but hard to tell by seat of pants. It is doing 0-100 in about 9-10 seconds with 2 adults and 2 kids in it. Which is down a bit by specs.

My feeling is possibly egr not shutting off fully?
Is there anyway to start a relearn for injection on these? Possibly it is still running a learned map with the boost leak.

Any pointers on what to check or looks for would be awsome.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 11:16 AM   #2
tipitch59
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 PRE-LCI 2010

Hello,
Did you resolve your issue?

I've the same car (xdrive 40D) and I've almost the same problem
- between 9,5/10L with no hard acceleration).
- 0 to 100 is done in 8,5sec (alone in the car).
- I don't have fault code.

I saw I have charge pipe oiled. I'll change seal this week, but I'm not sure that will resolve it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0