XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-26-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

X6 Owners-Feeling like a "Platypus" yet-Read On

Not sure what's up w/ Motor Trend and BMW.MT seems to have a real hard on for BMW these days??? Needless to say Arthur St.Antoine w/ MT does not like the X6....or for that matter any BMW....go figure.Anyway us X6 admirers are told our IQ is equal to a "Platypus". Would be kidda funny if not written by such an esteemed publication... Thanks! PalBay http://www.motortrend.com/features/e...gle/index.html
      06-26-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

X6 Family Resemblance

Could not resist!!!! Thanks.PalBay
Attached Images

06-27-2008, 03:37 AM   #3
Daniel B
X6 Driver
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palbay View Post
Not sure what's up w/ Motor Trend and BMW.MT seems to have a real hard on for BMW these days??? Needless to say Arthur St.Antoine w/ MT does not like the X6....or for that matter any BMW....go figure.Anyway us X6 admirers are told our IQ is equal to a "Platypus". Would be kidda funny if not written by such an esteemed publication... Thanks! PalBay http://www.motortrend.com/features/e...gle/index.html
Well maybe he should drive the X first!
But who care, there is a reason why journalist are just journalist!
When they grow up the use to get a real job (if they ever grow up)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palbay View Post
Could not resist!!!! Thanks.PalBay

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

St. Antoine makes some good points. But the fact is, if you like the feel of a BMW the chances are no other car will match it. One of the people who posted a reaction to the article claimed that God's gift to SUVs is the Cadillac Escalade -- that tells you he has a different set of standards for judging vehicles than you or I do. The Escalade is a perfectly good vehicle, bigger and more economical than the X5. But it is a tank when it comes to driving comparisons. I am on my fifth BMW. Every time I go looking at new cars, somehow I always seem to end up with the same make even though I keep an open mind while I am shopping. There must be something about them that makes for good chemistry with me.

But not iDrive. I could REALLY live without iDrive...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

The article need not focus on BMW. But they are immature hacks.

They need to wonder themselves...

a. Why if I invested $10k in GM in 1955 it would we worth nothing today.

b. Why if I invested $10k in BMW in 1955 I would be a millionaire today.

c.Why has BMW sales doubled over the last decade and the big 3 have plummeted.

d. Why do people still buy over 1 million BMW's per year?

Instead of bitching about a car brand, how about intelligent articles about why they sell instead of B.S. because they don't understand customers or the market.

Insulting customers shows a lack of understanding with regard to business, markets, customer needs, etc..

Those who posted replies to the article are just as in the dark. If they had a clue, they would understand why people buy $10k Rolexes when a $250 Seiko would do.

Last edited by chuck92103; 06-27-2008 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
The aticle need not focus on BMW. But they are immature hacks.

Instead of bitching about a car brand, how about intelligent articles about why they sell instead of B.S. because they don't understand customers or the market.

Insulting customers shows a lack of understanding with regard to business, markets, customer needs, etc..

Those who posted replies to the article are just as in the dark. If they had a clue, they would understand why people buy $10k Rolexes when a $250 Seiko would do.
+1!! Thanks....PalBay
      06-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Palbay,
I just LOL'd when I saw the pic , excellent.
      06-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
The article need not focus on BMW. But they are immature hacks.

+1 All good points!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #10
Mr.Marvelous
the name says it all...
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 320i Sport Line

It was BMW who introduced the spinning knob controller in cars. IDrive was the first to appear in cars.

Today audi has MMI, Mercedes has Commandand Renault has joy-stick... All of them are cheap copies of BMW's Idrive...

If Idrive was something that is terrible and none of the customers wanted it, then why all other car brands are copying the same interface instead of creating something better?

because there isn't any better interfacethat you can implement into a car! IDrive is an interface for the people of new age. People who were used to the horizontal gear knobs on 1960's chevrolets are too antique for this interface.
      06-28-2008, 02:02 AM   #11
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Marvelous View Post
It was BMW who introduced the spinning knob controller in cars. IDrive was the first to appear in cars.

Today audi has MMI, Mercedes has Commandand Renault has joy-stick... All of them are cheap copies of BMW's Idrive...

If Idrive was something that is terrible and none of the customers wanted it, then why all other car brands are copying the same interface instead of creating something better?

because there isn't any better interfacethat you can implement into a car! IDrive is an interface for the people of new age. People who were used to the horizontal gear knobs on 1960's chevrolets are too antique for this interface.
I agree; Before this 635D Sport I have now, I was buying Lexus and Audi exclusive, many were moaning about BMW in general and I-Drive in particular.
I drove the 635D sport and found "YES" initially it was a bit complex but after only a couple of uses I mastered it.
Coming from the other brands.................. Lexus total crap, nothing can be changed on the move........................... AUDI MMI........ well the amount of roundabouts I have gone round "Twice" because the system is so slow and wrong turns it has sent me down. The BMW system has 8 buttons to program if you like and it has NEVER sent me down the wrong street ever.
I have ordered the X6 will most options, the I-Drive is again been upgraded, so can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #12
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Marvelous View Post

I didn't say none of the customers wanted it. I said <I> didn't want it.

It is not "an interface for the people of a new age". It is a crappy, poorly designed, ergonomically disastrous interface for people who will accept second best.

I don't want iDrive banned, I just want it to be an option that I can say no to.
Appreciate 0