XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW

Another alpine white x6 on order...

...and yes - keeping the trend going and have placed an order of a new x6 xDrive35d 3 weeks ago...

It is my 5th BMW in the last 24 months, so I hope I can keep this car a bit longer than my previous 4

so here the order:
X6 xdrive35d
Alpine White
Chateau Nevada leather
Sports package
- Star Spoke Style 258 9/10Jx19 (will be my winter wheels)
- Comfort seats, front
- Exterior trim, high−gloss Shadowline
- Headlining, Anthracite
Navigation−system Professional
Bluetooth phone prep + telematics
CD changer
Active Steering
Comfort Access
Running boards, aluminium
Reversing Assist camera
Ext. mirrors − folding, auto dimming
Through−loading ski bag
Lumbar support
Enhanced storage
Seat heating, front
Black Flywheel Aluminium interior trim
Adaptive Fixing System
Hifi Loudspeaker system
USB interface
Sun protection glass

Aftermarket mods:
21" (215 ferric gray) or 22" Breyton Race GTR Matt Black
H&R Suspension

The reason why I opted against the adaptive drive is because I will be lowering the car and will be driving with 21s or 22s, so effectively I am getting a stiff ride - in that case, I read the AD makes little sense..

Expected delivery time is sometime between July and August

Like I said, I hope i keep this car longer than my previous one - I waited 12 weeks for my 330dA and I kept it exactly for 11 week....

Looking forward to your ocmments...

Insta: bmw.shitbox
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Congrats..nice options...however i will sugest AD as must!

Looking foeward to see your car!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

"It is my 5th BMW in the last 24 months,"
If you've gone through that many BMW's in 24 months I doubt an X6 will last any longer.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

I guess you didn't go for the professional sound system?!?

Also, you may want to reconsider your running board decision! I think you can ask pretty much anyone here and they would probably all tell you they are useless. All they are good for is to get your pants dirty!
Do a search on running boards in this forum and you'll find out what I am talking about

What's the reason for changing your cars that often?

(If you don't sharing this with us?!?)
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post

Also, you may want to reconsider your running board decision! I think you can ask pretty much anyone here and they would probably all tell you they are useless. All they are good for is to get your pants dirty!

+1 running boards suck.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Yeah, I'm curious why so many Bimmers, too.

I took a quick look at your links and I don't believe I saw that they were bad cars. The looked like different cars, with different options, colors, etc. possibley for different driving experiences?

Also, how long does the order process take to receive the car. I understand the x6 is made in the US, so there no overseas shipping, but a delivery date in July seems like a long time. Is that typical of BMW?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep

Hi Guys,

thanks for the responses..

I am in Austria so delivery from the US takes another 4-6 weeks on top of the standard delivery time of the car. That is why I am expecting the car sometime in July...

Regarding the running boards - I am not sure I wont be using them (don't use them on my dad's x5) but I wonder whether it would look too "plain" without the running boards. That is why I ordered it.. I will think about it in the next day or two. Maybe replace it for the window shades which we might need if we have children..

The car might look relative naked for american standards but the x6 is way too expensive in this part of the world. The MSRP of my configuraiton is EUR 92k, so about USD 120k - you see now why I have left out options such as Logic 7, 20" alloys, HUD or AD???

Regarding my other cars - each car has a history. They were all very well spec'd but each one had one flaw or the other. My first 530d was a manual tranny and had a problem with diesel particulate filter - sold the car after 2 years. The 535d had a terrible automatic tranny and the consumption was too high - sold it after 7 months. The 520d (the best looking car i had) was without active steering, so that took away the fun of driving it. The 330dA did nothing wrong but i really never liked the look of the car, but I ordered it because i thought it was a sensible solution. Currently there are 3 cars out there that i love - the a5, the 3 series coupe (i ordered the car 3 times and changed th order to one of the cars listed obove), and the x6. The x6 won the race...

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsyed View Post
Hi Guys,

thanks for the responses..

I am in Austria so delivery from the US takes another 4-6 weeks on top of the standard delivery time of the car. That is why I am expecting the car sometime in July...

Regarding the running boards - I am not sure I wont be using them (don't use them on my dad's x5) but I wonder whether it would look too "plain" without the running boards. That is why I ordered it.. I will think about it in the next day or two. Maybe replace it for the window shades which we might need if we have children..

The car might look relative naked for american standards but the x6 is way too expensive in this part of the world. The MSRP of my configuraiton is EUR 92k, so about USD 120k - you see now why I have left out options such as Logic 7, 20" alloys, HUD or AD???

Regarding my other cars - each car has a history. They were all very well spec'd but each one had one flaw or the other. My first 530d was a manual tranny and had a problem with diesel particulate filter - sold the car after 2 years. The 535d had a terrible automatic tranny and the consumption was too high - sold it after 7 months. The 520d (the best looking car i had) was without active steering, so that took away the fun of driving it. The 330dA did nothing wrong but i really never liked the look of the car, but I ordered it because i thought it was a sensible solution. Currently there are 3 cars out there that i love - the a5, the 3 series coupe (i ordered the car 3 times and changed th order to one of the cars listed obove), and the x6. The x6 won the race...

Ok a couple of things...

As you can see by the posts on this forum the X6 is full of new technology and hence is still having issues (look at the "check engine light " issue that showed up in 2008 models and is still being seen on 2009 models).

Looking at your reasons for getting rid of cars I suspect you may be getting rid of your X6 shortly after getting it. If you are expecting this car to be issue free buy something else and save yourself the hassle. There are folks who have purchased it and had no problems so you might get lucky.
However once the kinks are worked out there's nothing like it.

As far as the running boards I had 2 X5's and didn't even think about the running boards. It's not the cute aluminum covers that are the issue but the running boards themselves. They are badly position so that unless you are about 6'6" with really long legs the back of your pants will rub against them (after rain/snow really sucks). From what I heard here the aluminum covers just make this worse.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Ok a couple of things...

As you can see by the posts on this forum the X6 is full of new technology and hence is still having issues (look at the "check engine light " issue that showed up in 2008 models and is still being seen on 2009 models).

Looking at your reasons for getting rid of cars I suspect you may be getting rid of your X6 shortly after getting it. If you are expecting this car to be issue free buy something else and save yourself the hassle. There are folks who have purchased it and had no problems so you might get lucky.
However once the kinks are worked out there's nothing like it.

As far as the running boards I had 2 X5's and didn't even think about the running boards. It's not the cute aluminum covers that are the issue but the running boards themselves. They are badly position so that unless you are about 6'6" with really long legs the back of your pants will rub against them (after rain/snow really sucks). From what I heard here the aluminum covers just make this worse.
dmlgc, correct me if I'm wrong, but the 'check engine light' issues are primarily related to the 50i engine. I don't remember reading about any other engine version issues here. He ordered the 35d so I don't think that issue applies to that engine model?!?
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 12:16 AM   #10
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
dmlgc, correct me if I'm wrong, but the 'check engine light' issues are primarily related to the 50i engine. I don't remember reading about any other engine version issues here. He ordered the 35d so I don't think that issue applies to that engine model?!?

Ok from your mouth to gods ear but if you check the solutions none of them had to do with the engine itself. I know I should be happy that someone replaces their BMW that often to help hold down development costs but I want folks to be happy with their BMW ( I actually love driving them). I didn't want his expectations to be set too high. Some of the "check engine light" issues were wrong battery , nothing to do with engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 12:22 AM   #11
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ok from your mouth to gods ear but if you check the solutions none of them had to do with the engine itself.
Well, what I was getting at is that none of the 35d owners in here seem to have had any major issues unlike those that are driving the 50i model (even if it wasn't directly related to the engine, the 50i models seem to be the ones that are affected the most?!?).

I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got from following this forum over the past year.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 12:30 AM   #12
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, what I was getting at is that none of the 35d owners in here seem to have had any major issues unlike those that are driving the 50i model (even if it wasn't directly related to the engine, the 50i models seem to be the ones that are affected the most?!?).

I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got from following this forum over the past year.

Ok guess it was just the 50i that had the check engine light issue but I do remember that some 35i had other issues. So maybe the 35d goes down a different line or something.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 12:41 AM   #13
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ok guess it was just the 50i that had the check engine light issue but I do remember that some 35i had other issues. So maybe the 35d goes down a different line or something.
The 50i's must be Monday morning production units
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 12:45 AM   #14
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The 50i's must be Monday morning production units
Thanks that gave me a needed laugh. LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 03:31 PM   #15
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep

Guys,

thanks for the feedback. Don't get me wrong - I am not expecting the x6 to be flawless car. I have had my share of time driving around with loaners (and here we get Hyundais instead of a BMW) and I am fine with it. I am aware of how much electronics is in the car - having spent over 9 years in the semiconductor industry (and the last 3 in the automotive industry), I do sympathy for any engineers having to develop systems for the car makers, who want everything yesterday and of course all for free

My reason for the x6 is because the car looks great, should be a laugh to drive and is definitely something different to what I have had. Really don't see any other alternative in the market, maybe the 3 coupe, but that's it...

So bottom line of the thread now is: running boards or no running boards. was just gonna get it for the looks...

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #16
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsyed View Post
Guys,

thanks for the feedback. Don't get me wrong - I am not expecting the x6 to be flawless car. I have had my share of time driving around with loaners (and here we get Hyundais instead of a BMW) and I am fine with it. I am aware of how much electronics is in the car - having spent over 9 years in the semiconductor industry (and the last 3 in the automotive industry), I do sympathy for any engineers having to develop systems for the car makers, who want everything yesterday and of course all for free

My reason for the x6 is because the car looks great, should be a laugh to drive and is definitely something different to what I have had. Really don't see any other alternative in the market, maybe the 3 coupe, but that's it...

So bottom line of the thread now is: running boards or no running boards. was just gonna get it for the looks...

With that perspective you should have a lot of fun with the car. And hopefully you will not get one made on a Friday afternoon or a Monday morning... just kidding.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #17
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I think the running boards are a nice, albeit useless addition. Aesthetically, I think it's a nice line or filler on the bottom edge that's needed. If you look at the x6M it sort of mimics the running board so I think the bimmer design engineers saw it as a necessary design element.

On the other hand, I have to say that it's a nuisance to have on the car. When I test drove a x6 50i about a week ago I was surprised to find that the height of the car required that I actually step out very wide to avoid the running board. They are totally non-functional, as some here have already said. This dismayed me because I really like 'em aesthetically.

Now if there is a spring drop kit that will lower the car more than an inch, then the running boards would be a non-issue because you could step directly out onto the ground and not get interference from the running board.

I think you'll find them to be a pain in the back side. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 11:44 PM   #18
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
With that perspective you should have a lot of fun with the car. And hopefully you will not get one made on a Friday afternoon or a Monday morning... just kidding.
Man, they should just cut their work week shorter ... say Tuesdays til Thursdays to prevent those Monday morning or Friday afternoon production issues

Oh wait, would the help or make things worse ?!?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #19
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
I think the running boards are a nice, albeit useless addition. Aesthetically, I think it's a nice line or filler on the bottom edge that's needed. If you look at the x6M it sort of mimics the running board so I think the bimmer design engineers saw it as a necessary design element.

On the other hand, I have to say that it's a nuisance to have on the car. When I test drove a x6 50i about a week ago I was surprised to find that the height of the car required that I actually step out very wide to avoid the running board. They are totally non-functional, as some here have already said. This dismayed me because I really like 'em aesthetically.

Now if there is a spring drop kit that will lower the car more than an inch, then the running boards would be a non-issue because you could step directly out onto the ground and not get interference from the running board.

I think you'll find them to be a pain in the back side. Just my 2 cents.
Well, If you look at the picture below, you will notice that the non running board configured X6 actually has a bit of a ledge that sticks out. That is the exact same part (or line) that you observed on the X6M. The only difference is that BMW painted it in the body color on the X6M versus black plastic on the standard model.

I do agree with you that it looks aesthetically better having them on the car (at least to me, some other people may disagree on this), however I would put convenience before looks when it comes to getting in and out of the car.

And yes you do have to step further away from the car when trying to get out of it due to those running boards. Trying to use them to get in or out is REALLY awkward to say the least!

For anyone that is buying this car and is trying to figure out whether to get the car with or without them, I HIGHLY suggest you go see your dealership and try an X6 with and without the running board to make up your own mind BEFORE you buy the car!

Name:  X6 Cover Wheel Arch - Footboard.jpg
Views: 1513
Size:  246.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 12:21 AM   #20
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, If you look at the picture below, you will notice that the non running board configured X6 actually has a bit of a ledge that sticks out. That is the exact same part (or line) that you observed on the X6M. The only difference is that BMW painted it in the body color on the X6M versus black plastic on the standard model.

I do agree with you that it looks aesthetically better having them on the car (at least to me, some other people may disagree on this), however I would put convenience before looks when it comes to getting in and out of the car.

And yes you do have to step further away from the car when trying to get out of it due to those running boards. Trying to use them to get in or out is REALLY awkward to say the least!

For anyone that is buying this car and is trying to figure out whether to get the car with or without them, I HIGHLY suggest you go see your dealership and try an X6 with and without the running board to make up your own mind BEFORE you buy the car!

Attachment 258401
Man, where do you get those fantastic details?!

So that's how the dealer adds 'em - interesting. Good info. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 12:26 AM   #21
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Man, where do you get those fantastic details?!

So that's how the dealer adds 'em - interesting. Good info. Thanks.
The pictures are from the parts database that the dealerships use.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 12:36 AM   #22
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Obviously you have access to a dealership database - do you own or work at a dealership?
Appreciate 0