XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-19-2017, 08:19 AM   #1
Sabs1815
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

New Battery and Problems! X5M

Hey Guys,

Just swapped in a new battery in my X5M I got a Duralast platinum to OEM specs 1000 Crank 105AH AGM battery, As my car kept giving me warning that there was increased battery discharge.

After installing I turned on Ignition (Not starting the car) registered the Battery with Carly. Once registration completed I started the engine and got a whole slew of errors, DBC Malfunction, Servo Malfunctions ( No power steering), DSC Malfunction, Lighting Malfunction (Mirrors wont open, Windows wont open I assume FRM issue), 4X4 malfunction & Comfort access is not working. As of the writing of this I left the engine running could all of this be happening from the new battery not being charged enough?

In addition when I try to connect with Carly now my the car is not responding to anything, So i cant even try and clear the errors.

Any of you have anything similar to this?

**Update**- Most malfunctions went away, only thing left now is Lighting Malfunction. I'm assuming something is wrong with the FRM module because the Windows, Mirrors and Comfort access is not working

Last edited by Sabs1815; 12-19-2017 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 09:30 AM   #2
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

I got similar warning when I replaced my batter. It all went away when I started to drive the car.
The FRM is an item covered under warranty. BMW will cover the cost to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
Sabs1815
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
I got similar warning when I replaced my batter. It all went away when I started to drive the car.
The FRM is an item covered under warranty. BMW will cover the cost to replace it.
Thanks!

Im WAY out of warranty on this truck though. 86K miles on her. I'm hoping its just a hiccup otherwise ill have to look into replacing the FRM
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabs1815 View Post
Thanks!

Im WAY out of warranty on this truck though. 86K miles on her. I'm hoping its just a hiccup otherwise ill have to look into replacing the FRM
I'm not sure if you're familiar with extended warranty items for the car. My 2011 X5M is out of warranty as well. Though BMW is aware of common failure parts on the car and will cover certain items to around 10 or 8yrs/120k miles.

Plug in the last 7 of your vin to see your covered parts.
http://www.bmw-rp.com/production/isg...nsf/submit.xsp
Appreciate 1
Sabs1815120.50
      12-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
Sabs1815
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
I'm not sure if you're familiar with extended warranty items for the car. My 2011 X5M is out of warranty as well. Though BMW is aware of common failure parts on the car and will cover certain items to around 10 or 8yrs/120k miles.

Plug in the last 7 of your vin to see your covered parts.
http://www.bmw-rp.com/production/isg...nsf/submit.xsp
Ahh got it!

Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
Sabs1815
First Lieutenant
Rep

Confirmed, FRM Module was fried. Covered under BMW extended warranty!
Appreciate 1
gan23201.00
      01-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #7
RustyX5M
Private
Rep
Drives: e70 x5m

Just received the same errors as you after replacing with a Duralast H8-AGM (95AH).... odd that it came up immediately after the swap. I haven't tried driving the car, though after attempting to clear codes with the Carly they still came back after multiple restarts (and even swapping back to the original factory battery)

How was this remedied? Did BMW cover the FRM under the warranty? Did you swap back to the BMW battery before bringing it in?

...and how was driving the car with all of those malfunctions?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #8
Sabs1815
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyX5M View Post
Just received the same errors as you after replacing with a Duralast H8-AGM (95AH).... odd that it came up immediately after the swap. I haven't tried driving the car, though after attempting to clear codes with the Carly they still came back after multiple restarts (and even swapping back to the original factory battery)

How was this remedied? Did BMW cover the FRM under the warranty? Did you swap back to the BMW battery before bringing it in?

...and how was driving the car with all of those malfunctions?
I replaced with the same exact battery from Autozone. Did you attempt to register the battery and then start the car? I tried registering my battery with Carly. I'm not blaming Carly though because I knew my FRM had faults to begin with and I imagine coding the battery has to speak to the FRMz

Driving with a shot FRM was scary to say the least. No signal lights or hazards no ability to control headlights or even open the windows for manual signaling. It was live-able but not comfortable.
No I didn't swap my battery back to Oem before I went in. Reality is it would've happened anyway when the new battery is registered.
I called up my SA at open road Bmw told them that I had replaced my battery and had a slew of errors come up after I explained all the symptoms and what I thought the problem was. They said it's likely the FRM but they need to see it first. After a few hours I was told they would be ordering a new FRM and would take a day to reprogram it. All taken care of under extended warranty Bmw footed the bill. FRM module is known to fail so you shouldn't have an issue getting yours replaced if that's the problem. Check out the link someone posted above.

Also key symptoms I noticed:
Headlights stay on
Auto leveling headlights not working
Blinkers not working
Interior lighting not working
Mirrors wouldn't fold
The cherry on top- a constant error on the idrive screen saying "lighting malfunction stop vehicle"
2013 F10 M5- Rest in peace
2015 F15 X5 50I
Appreciate 0