XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #45
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Anyone know what the little fins/spoilers on the side of rear window do ?

I saw something like that watching the NASCAR Daytona 500 a couple of weeks ago.

Small ones like those are just for looks, I could be wrong but it's my understanding the primary purpose of the 2 to 3 inch versions (like NASCAR) is to add stability like a rear vertical stabilzer on an airplane or a vertical fin on a fish. I think they also adds a help clean up some of the turbulent airflow as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #46
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
I saw something like that watching the NASCAR Daytona 500 a couple of weeks ago.

Small ones like those are just for looks, I could be wrong but it's my understanding the primary purpose of the 2 to 3 inch versions (like NASCAR) is to add stability like a rear vertical stabilzer on an airplane or a vertical fin on a fish. I think they also adds a help clean up some of the turbulent airflow as well.

seems odd to put something just for looks on a car that already has abysmal viewing as it is. But agree also can't believe that they actually do anything aerodynamically, most spoilers on cars are for looks.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 10:10 PM   #47
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

You'd have to be going very fast to build up enough air pressure to make a difference. It sticks up about an inch so maybe it might catch some air, but right in front of it you've got the roof rack. I'd be curious to see that combo in a wind tunnel, and I'm sure there would be little or no actual benefit except for looks.

It's all kind of cool and certainly beats the other tuner stuff out there, and you've made a good point about the viewing angle. They should provide a rear view mirror camera and skip to the window all together.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #48
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
You'd have to be going very fast to build up enough air pressure to make a difference. It sticks up about an inch so maybe it might catch some air, but right in front of it you've got the roof rack. I'd be curious to see that combo in a wind tunnel, and I'm sure there would be little or no actual benefit except for looks.

It's all kind of cool and certainly beats the other tuner stuff out there, and you've made a good point about the viewing angle. They should provide a rear view mirror camera and skip to the window all together.
I would like a camera in each side mirror and a rear view one in the fin that i could have on all the time. That way combine together on a screen I would have a complete view of when cars transitioned from side to rear to side. with the side view much more extensive then what you can get even with the mirrors pointed way out into the next lane. Seems to me retrofit of this would not be that hard.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 12:27 AM   #49
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I agree
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 12:33 AM   #50
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Visibility to the front..

I've gotten used to it now but BMW can certainly make the front posts & B pillars smaller to improve visibility out the front & side.
As Raul Julia says in the Cannonball Run movie, a Ferrari does not need rearview mirrors!

Last edited by archwerks; 02-26-2010 at 01:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #51
kahunacanuck
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35ix / 2013 335ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
I've gotten used to it now but BMW can certainly make the front posts & B pillars smaller to improve visibility out the front & side.
As Raul Julia says in the Cannonball Run movie, a Ferrari does not need rearview mirrors!
Great quote

I think the big pillars have to do with rollover protection in such a porky car!

Sold 2011.5 M3 E92 Mineral White/Rust Brown
Appreciate 0