XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-04-2024, 02:27 PM   #5611
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I've seen the videos of what he eats. He looks like the consequences have hit and he needs a WC stat.
Some motorway service stations aren't noted for their healthy choices
Appreciate 3
      01-04-2024, 02:51 PM   #5612
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Some motorway service stations aren't noted for their healthy choices
That's why I waiting for the "EV's cause weight gain from hanging out in convenience stores" article
Appreciate 3
M5Rick61571.00
eugenebmw1585.00
      01-05-2024, 03:16 AM   #5613
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
That's why I waiting for the "EV's cause weight gain from hanging out in convenience stores" article
You can't beat self made sandwiches and a thermos of tea (or coffee) while time is wasted waiting for then charging an EV...but if there are 4 of you then I see no reason to not visit a mcdonald's for a grilled chicken and salad meal, no f/fries.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2024, 05:45 AM   #5614
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
You can't beat self made sandwiches and a thermos of tea (or coffee) while time is wasted waiting for then charging an EV...but if there are 4 of you then I see no reason to not visit a mcdonald's for a grilled chicken and salad meal, no f/fries.
Remember you ask for it:
Charging and Chalupas: Fast Food Chains Begin to Offer EV Power
Taco Bell, Subway and 7-Eleven are rolling out plugs for electric vehicles

Not only is Subway installing EV charging stations, but they’re creating “charging oases” that will also include things like green spaces and playgrounds, which could potentially also fill the void that was once a McDonald’s PlayPlace.

An afternoon spend grazing at Taco Bell, What could go wrong.
I remember the good old days when fast food places had hard seats and turned up the AC so you would eat and get the heck out so they could turn your seat.

Appreciate 2
      01-05-2024, 05:57 AM   #5615
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Fire destroys two electric vehicles in Washtenaw County
Jan 3, 2024
WASHTENAW COUNTY, MI -- Two electric vehicles were destroyed in a Wednesday house fire in Washtenaw County.
Crews from the Scio Township and Dexter fire departments were called to the 3900 block of Prospect Court in Ann Arbor around 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 3, for a report of a house fire. When crews arrived, they found an attached garage and two cars on fire.
Boluyt had recently unplugged a Tesla vehicle from his home charger and plugged in an electric Volvo vehicle, said Andrew Houde, chief of the Scio Township Fire Department. It is unclear if the charger was the cause of the fire, but both vehicles were destroyed.

Appreciate 3
M5Rick61571.00
eugenebmw1585.00
      01-05-2024, 06:15 AM   #5616
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
'The charge state tapers off': Elon Musk told Joe Rogan you shouldn't charge your EV to 100%. Here's his full explanation.
But Tesla CEO Elon Musk says there’s a trick to speeding up the process: don’t charge your EV to 100%.
How does that make sense? Wouldn’t a full charge mean fewer stops and less charging time overall? The explanation, which Musk calls “counterintuitive,” lies in a crucial difference between batteries and gas tanks.
“For a gasoline car, you would fill it up,” Musk said during a recent episode of “The Joe Rogan Experience” podcast. “For a battery, the charge state tapers off as you get above 80%.”
“I think the right analogy here is cars in a parking lot,” he continued. “The lithium ions are trying to find a parking space as they move across from one side of the battery to the other side.”
A battery at low charge is akin to an empty parking lot, Musk said — the ions can "zip right in there and find a spot.” But as the battery gets closer to full, it becomes more like a busy mall’s parking lot, where the available spots are scarce. In that situation, the ions "have to bounce around more" to find their places.
“Getting from 80 to 100 (percent) takes about as much time as getting from 0 to 80,” Musk told Rogan.
In other words, you could cut charging time by 50% and still get 80% of your EV’s range. That tradeoff could help keep your long road trips from becoming interminable.
When Rogan asked Musk if he’s satisfied with Tesla’s current technology “in terms of mileage you get out of it,” Musk replied, “Yeah, range is not an issue.”

This is battery 101 but it seems folks haven't gotten it yet. Many EV manufactures use "% of charge" to mask the reality that they are not allowing a 100% charge. Musk's analogy is very good except that from 80% to 100%, some times cars are parked on top of each other and then they have a tendency to catch fire. There is no cell balancing in a EV battery.
Appreciate 2
      01-05-2024, 07:22 AM   #5617
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Fire destroys two electric vehicles in Washtenaw County
Jan 3, 2024
WASHTENAW COUNTY, MI -- Two electric vehicles were destroyed in a Wednesday house fire in Washtenaw County.
Crews from the Scio Township and Dexter fire departments were called to the 3900 block of Prospect Court in Ann Arbor around 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 3, for a report of a house fire. When crews arrived, they found an attached garage and two cars on fire.
Boluyt had recently unplugged a Tesla vehicle from his home charger and plugged in an electric Volvo vehicle, said Andrew Houde, chief of the Scio Township Fire Department. It is unclear if the charger was the cause of the fire, but both vehicles were destroyed.

I’ve been waiting for someone to post this one. My bet is substandard wiring/outlet.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2024, 08:48 AM   #5618
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ers-to-hybrids
      01-05-2024, 09:27 AM   #5619
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I’ve been waiting for someone to post this one. My bet is substandard wiring/outlet.
Sorry not buying that one.

Look at pictures: These EV's are toast. Not over heated wiring.
“Lithium batteries are new challenge,” Houde said.
The home also sustained damage, he said.

The incident is at least an interesting beginning to retirement for Boluyt, who stepped down from his role as a Washtenaw Community College professor at the end of December 2023.

“Possessions don’t matter,” Boluyt said. “My wife and I are safe. My dog is safe.”

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor...rage-fire.html

Bet they are out shopping for new EV's today. Now if the dog got burned up that would be different story.
Appreciate 2
      01-05-2024, 09:40 AM   #5620
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prossx View Post
I'm starting to rethink my thoughts on Hybrids. This is not being handled correctly. At the present hybrids are just EV's with limited mileage and a ICE back up. This should not be the intent. A proper hybrid is a fuel engine and EV component properly sized to the vehicle.
In our daily driving we all use only a small portion of the HP and torque available to us. We could all use a engine with 50% less power if that power was augmented with EV power when power is required for acceleration, hill climbing, etc. There are better ways to get the 450hp we feel we need for our SUV. There are better ways to harvest inertia for future use. We are not yet even close to asking the right questions to develop the right solutions.
Appreciate 3
      01-05-2024, 10:10 AM   #5621
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:

The incident is at least an interesting beginning to retirement for Boluyt, who stepped down from his role as a Washtenaw Community College professor at the end of December 2023.

“Possessions don’t matter,” Boluyt said. “My wife and I are safe. My dog is safe.”

Bet they are out shopping for new EV's today. Now if the dog got burned up that would be different story.
You may well be right. If true the actively charging car, the Volvo, would have been of higher risk and it being a phev.
Appreciate 2
      01-05-2024, 10:58 AM   #5622
M5Rick
General
Rep

[QUOTE=Car-Addicted;30786609]Remember you ask for it:
Charging and Chalupas: Fast Food Chains Begin to Offer EV Power
Taco Bell, Subway and 7-Eleven are rolling out plugs for electric vehicles

Not only is Subway installing EV charging stations, but they’re creating “charging oases” that will also include things like green spaces and playgrounds, which could potentially also fill the void that was once a McDonald’s PlayPlace.

An afternoon spend grazing at Taco Bell, What could go wrong.
I remember the good old days when fast food places had hard seats and turned up the AC so you would eat and get the heck out so they could turn your seat.
------------
I have seen a Taco bell here and there over here at 'malls' but nothing like in your illustration plus it has covered charging units, something that MacMaster has yet to discover.

Last edited by M5Rick; 01-05-2024 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13714.50
      01-05-2024, 11:01 AM   #5623
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I Google Mapped the Wales to Leeds trip. It shows 198 miles @4 hrs 50 minutes. I just took a near similar length trip over Christmas week from Culpeper, Virginia to Virginia Beach, Virginia. 200 miles and 3 hrs 20 minutes per Google Maps. Took my gas guzzling H3T Hummer. Left home with 7/8ths tank. We took a very indirect route which was around 280 miles and 6 hours. Drove non stop. Vacationed for 5 days, then headed back home via anther non-direct route. Left on a 1/4 tank filled up at VA Beach. Took 6 minutes (23 gallons).

If I had to tell my wife, "Oh by the way, we need to charge up a few times at 2 hrs total. I'd still have the lump on my head. Lol.

His 1st charge at Micky D's was $75 for 258 miles. My E90 gets 27.3 MPG. At $3.99/ gal for premium $75 gets me 515 miles. The Hummer would go 330 miles for $75. What a joke.
What engine does your Hummer have.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2024, 11:25 AM   #5624
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
I have seen a Taco bell here and there over here at 'malls' but nothing like in your illustration plus it has covered charging units, something that MacMaster has yet to discover.
Note Taco bell has gone full green as the awnings appear to be solar panels which is the way it should be.
Appreciate 2
      01-05-2024, 01:55 PM   #5625
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Quote:
Every charging station should have toilets beside it. At least EV drivers have something to do while waiting inline for charging their EV cars
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2024, 01:59 PM   #5626
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Remember what go into the body need to come out too. We need thousand and thousand more public washrooms for EV users
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 02:03 PM   #5627
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prossx View Post
I totally agree. Hybrids are the way to go to slowly fill the gap between ICE and EV. However, the maintenance cost could be more than pure ICE. Now we have 2 systems to maintenance and 2 system to break down.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2024, 02:13 PM   #5628
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Even if it was caused by the wire. I don't know how many 60+ years old houses, appartments and town houses in American. I know there are many many in Canada. Are they wired to today electric demand standard. I think we all know the answers
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61571.00
      01-05-2024, 02:39 PM   #5629
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
Remember what go into the body need to come out too. We need thousand and thousand more public washrooms for EV users
Just a walk over to the main motorway service area would have that sorted.
Appreciate 2
      01-05-2024, 03:05 PM   #5630
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
Even if it was caused by the wire. I don't know how many 60+ years old houses, appartments and town houses in American. I know there are many many in Canada. Are they wired to today electric demand standard. I think we all know the answers
Hardly a electric clothes dryer in the US or Canada doesn't have a 40 or 50 amp dedicate line. I'm sure any electrician worth their salt would make sure the service panel and circuit to the charger was compliant. A Level 2 charger installation will require a permit and inspection.
Appreciate 2
      01-05-2024, 03:28 PM   #5631
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Yet, because climate fearers want to eliminate engine exhaust, the PSHEV technology will never be developed.
Yes they need to eliminate the burning of fossil fuels from their line of sight and their back yard.

I see your PSHEV thoughts and I think it is a solution for quite a lot of folks. Were this not a religion/cult it would see the light of day.

I'm thinking more like technology use in Formula One and WEC where the two systems work in tandem. The Toyota GR010 Hybrid Hypercar is a 3.5-liter V-6 direct-injection turbocharged engine (670HP) with a 200 kW (270HP) electric motor driving front wheels, producing a total of 940HP in endurance package with BoP. Still doesn't address the elephant in the room LiPo batteries.
Appreciate 3
      01-05-2024, 03:35 PM   #5632
Socal_R8
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
I Google Mapped the Wales to Leeds trip. It shows 198 miles @4 hrs 50 minutes. I just took a near similar length trip over Christmas week from Culpeper, Virginia to Virginia Beach, Virginia. 200 miles and 3 hrs 20 minutes per Google Maps. Took my gas guzzling H3T Hummer. Left home with 7/8ths tank. We took a very indirect route which was around 280 miles and 6 hours. Drove non stop. Vacationed for 5 days, then headed back home via anther non-direct route. Left on a 1/4 tank filled up at VA Beach. Took 6 minutes (23 gallons).

If I had to tell my wife, "Oh by the way, we need to charge up a few times at 2 hrs total. I'd still have the lump on my head. Lol.

His 1st charge at Micky D's was $75 for 258 miles. My E90 gets 27.3 MPG. At $3.99/ gal for premium $75 gets me 515 miles. The Hummer would go 330 miles for $75. What a joke.
except it doesnt work like that in the US...don't be dooped by an anti-EV boob from another country who is most likely being paid by BP for these idiotic anti-ev videos.

Most modern day EV's wouldn't need to charge on a 200 mile trip if you left the house on a full charge and it would cost about $17-25 and about 30 min to get a 250 mile charge.
If you need $75 and 2 hours of charging time in the US for that you have no idea what you're doing or just spewing hyperbolic nonsense
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17438.00