XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #1
RustyX5M
Private
Rep
Drives: e70 x5m

Anyone had/have a RR Sport SC?

Was considering purchasing a Range Rove Sport supercharged before purchasing the X5M and now having buyers remorse due to frequent issues and build quality.

Just curious if anyone here has first hand ownership insight to compare the two.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 10:07 PM   #2
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyX5M View Post
Was considering purchasing a Range Rove Sport supercharged before purchasing the X5M and now having buyers remorse due to frequent issues and build quality.

Just curious if anyone here has first hand ownership insight to compare the two.
Damn, well you bought a rusty X5M . Get rid of the X5M now before it depreciates too badly, If you're not happy now you will never be. The latest RRs are much better than previous models from what i hear but i believe pre 2014s were absolute trash. X5M was an impulse buy? Sorry to hear you're having such a bad experience, really sucks man, its happened to me before and it hurts in the gut.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 06:15 AM   #3
saleen01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5

i have a 2011 rr sc....very nice truck....absolutely sux on gas....reliability wise....its better then older models, but still not perfect....i wouldn't own it without warranty
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 07:02 AM   #4
RustyX5M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
Damn, well you bought a rusty X5M . Get rid of the X5M now before it depreciates too badly, If you're not happy now you will never be. The latest RRs are much better than previous models from what i hear but i believe pre 2014s were absolute trash. X5M was an impulse buy? Sorry to hear you're having such a bad experience, really sucks man, its happened to me before and it hurts in the gut.
Yeah, the depreciation is why I'm trying to figure this out now than later. I got a good deal on it (at the time) and in my eyes is the perfect build of an X5M, so hopefully if I sold it won't take too much of a hit. And don't get me wrong, when it's running right, it's exactly what I want in a car/suv (minus a trailer hitch/towing capacity). I just wish every time I hop in and out of it every piece of plastic inside sounded like it was going to break. So so far it's just been the little things with the truck, and the "m" upcharge that are getting to me. I'm sure the Range Rover charge won't be much different. If I had an aftermarket warranty I'd probably be a bit more calm about it. I had one on my RS4 and never used it over the course of 4 years (with track days), so I took my chances on this one. Jokes on me...

Af far as the RRs, I'm sure maintenance wise it won't be too much of an improvement, but I've heard both ways, some people drive theirs into the ground with no issues ever, some are in the shop every other week. I haven't been able to find much on the specifically supercharged reliability though. The driving "experience" will most likely change (For better or worse depending on driving styles) and I'll most likely miss the technology of the BMW ...and pano roof.
So like I said, if I could get ride of the creaks and get the X5 running consistently I would be so happy with it... Just until that day I'm going to be eyeing RRS sc's.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 07:03 AM   #5
RustyX5M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen01 View Post
i have a 2011 rr sc....very nice truck....absolutely sux on gas....reliability wise....its better then older models, but still not perfect....i wouldn't own it without warranty
What are the big issues you've had with it, and do you or have you owned an X5M to compare directly?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 99 M3

I looked at these as an option when purchasing my X5M since the local dealer here had one in stock.

When I went in it was in the shop getting repaired because the rear suspension had some issues with the air suspension at 30k miles ... I walked away at this point.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #7
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyX5M View Post

Not first hand but a buddy of mine could not wait to get rid of it. ALWAYS in the shop for something. I believe it was 2013.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
Crazy1323
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

My mom has either a 2014 or 15 RR Sport Supercharged (the new body style).

She loves it. I'd say it rides better than my M but the M is sportier. M feels quicker because torque comes on much sooner. However I've never raced the two and my M isn't stock.

Tech wise, I like the I drive over the touch screen of the RR.

Interior is more comfy in the RR. More rear seat room in the RR too but a little less cargo space in the way back.

Off road the RR is in another league from the M. Not even border line close. We have some property where you have to drive about 10 miles on some logging and fire roads. The RR drives like it is still on pavement. I have to baby the M through it.

I like the sporty nature of the M over the plushness of the RR. Now I haven't driven an SVR, but I'd imagine it is closer the the M in driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 01:35 PM   #9
Crazy1323
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

I'll also add the the pre 2014 RR Sports was built on a discovery chassis. The new one is built on the same chassis as the full size RR.

Range Rover/Jagur has really gotten their act together reliability wise. My mom had an XRK before and never had a single issue. She has had the RR for about 2.5 years and it has never missed a beat. My sister had a 2002 Series 2 Discovery and it was the biggest pile of crap ever created.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #10
j6yd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 50i & Dog Powered Longboard

I don't have any personal experience myself but a friend of mine had his RR switched out after a month from continuous gearbox problems. (I believe the dealer did it out of good will)

His current one has been in the garage twice and once was for a gearbox update (go figure) but its been solid for the last 8-9 months.

I guess like any car it depends when you buy it (production year) and how you use it. He barely drives his!
Appreciate 0