XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-10-2016, 03:37 PM   #23
LeoBurr
6MT Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen01 View Post
you have the pure stage 2 turbo?
what kind of power can i expect?
Nope, I don't. You need a higher flowing downpipe ($700-$800) and charge pipe ($280) before going to a bigger turbo. Just do some google searches for Pure Stage 2 and N55 and you'll find plenty. Our engine's the same one in the 135i/335/535i.
      05-11-2016, 07:10 AM   #24
saleen01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffS View Post
Nope, I don't. You need a higher flowing downpipe ($700-$800) and charge pipe ($280) before going to a bigger turbo. Just do some google searches for Pure Stage 2 and N55 and you'll find plenty. Our engine's the same one in the 135i/335/535i.

ive got a catless downpipe right now
and a diesel x5 dual snorkel intake...
this is very interesting....
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 07:43 AM   #25
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Yes, Pure Turbos Stage 2 looks very interesting indeed. People say you need more fuel to take full advantage. Does anyone make meth kits or port injection kits for the X5? I haven't seen any.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #26
saleen01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgboost View Post
Yes, Pure Turbos Stage 2 looks very interesting indeed. People say you need more fuel to take full advantage. Does anyone make meth kits or port injection kits for the X5? I haven't seen any.
sorry for my newbie ?s how do you add more fuel? pump, injectors tune?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #27
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen01 View Post
sorry for my newbie ?s how do you add more fuel? pump, injectors tune?
It's alright. I may be asking the question wrong as I was being lazy. I've read from the 1 and 3 series people that the stock fuel injectors limit the maximum potential of the stage 2 turbos. Only way I can think of to get more fuel to increase the power is the add port injection or a meth kit which are popular with the 1/3 series folks.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #28
mitch808
Captain
Rep

port injection is easy, as is meth. Even better when you do either, is that your valves will be super clean since this goes through the valves into the engine, solving the headache of DI and walnut blasting.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #29
LeoBurr
6MT Fanatic
Rep

More injectors mean more failure points. And the injectors of most meth kits, I wouldn't want on a bottle of windex, much less my car, never mind another computer to attempt to control it all.

Seen too many posts where a meth'd car got hydrolocked and have heard horror stories from some notable tuners. Not worth it for a street car if you care about reliability, much less a car like the X5.

Still is fascinating that BMW tuning in 2016 is where WRX and evo tuning was in 2004, with cheap meth kits everywhere as "the way to go" for more power. Nowadays with those cars, it's just E85 conversions (fuel pumps/injectors) with no additional injectors/failure points and the factory ECU in full control if you want more reliable power.

I just did another quick run in the X5. With a 2.1 second 60-foot, I ran a 5.3 second 0-60. A Pure Stage 2 with a downpipe will likely run, if launched, a 4.5 second or so 0-60 while maintaining fuel economy. If you really want more than that, you're better off going V8 and dealing with the factory headaches there rather than creating your own through a port or meth injection kit. Never been a fan of piggyback computers that trick what the factory ECU sees. Never will be.
      05-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #30
mitch808
Captain
Rep

I disagree with you. AEM, AquaMist, Snow are all brands that have implemented failsafes of varying degree, that didn't exist in the early years of those cheap meth kits and DIY kits.

They are also boost based, and only turn on when you're boosting, and then your Protune can either be tuned against it (More advanced timing, etc), or at times, the ECU can compensate alone for it when it's empty (the case with my Ford Ecoboost engine)

People only remember the bad things, and never what has changed, or the successful implementations.

BTW, it's not windex...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #31
LeoBurr
6MT Fanatic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
I disagree with you. AEM, AquaMist, Snow are all brands that have implemented failsafes of varying degree, that didn't exist in the early years of those cheap meth kits and DIY kits.

They are also boost based, and only turn on when you're boosting, and then your Protune can either be tuned against it (More advanced timing, etc), or at times, the ECU can compensate alone for it when it's empty (the case with my Ford Ecoboost engine)

People only remember the bad things, and never what has changed, or the successful implementations.

BTW, it's not windex...
The additional injectors are not at the quality of factory injectors, people are hydrolocking motors on these supposed "modern" systems, and these brands are not new. Adding on any computer that controls things outside of the ECU's purview is risk-taking. If someone is going for max power without planning on keeping the car long-term, it's a way to go. If additional control is required, then we're talking a custom build with a standalone aftermarket ECU for better reliability.

If it's a long-term daily-driver car, adding unnecessary complexity is a good way to say goodbye to most of your disposable income. For a track car, that's another thing entirely.

For the X5, if max power is the primary concern, turbo V8s are available in this application, while they're not on the 1 and 3-series platforms. Money is better spent on a 50i or a X5M than going stupid with injectors and cheap computers with Radio Shack wiring on these cars.

For a decent power boost, a downpipe/turbo/real protune would make most folks happy. I'm quite happy with just my tune.
      05-12-2016, 03:26 PM   #32
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
For the X5, if max power is the primary concern, turbo V8s are available in this application, while they're not on the 1 and 3-series platforms. Money is better spent on a 50i or a X5M than going stupid with injectors and cheap computers with Radio Shack wiring on these cars.

For a decent power boost, a downpipe/turbo/real protune would make most folks happy. I'm quite happy with just my tune.
Yes, but you can buy a M3 rather than modding a 335. The point I was trying to make was that since the Stage 2 turbo can make much more power than the stock parts can handle, only way to take advantage of the full power is the upgrade the injectors. Otherwise, I think the Stage 1 turbo is sufficient.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 10:47 PM   #33
LeoBurr
6MT Fanatic
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but you can buy a M3 rather than modding a 335. The point I was trying to make was that since the Stage 2 turbo can make much more power than the stock parts can handle, only way to take advantage of the full power is the upgrade the injectors. Otherwise, I think the Stage 1 turbo is sufficient.
Agreed - (Though modding the M3 for easy power isn't as cheap as the N54...) But you can do an injector/fuel pump upgrade without resorting to meth. Someone local was selling a Stage-2 turbo for $650...was so tempted...but no. I'd probably do a catted downpipe and a Stage-1 if I cared enough to, but I'm pretty happy.
      05-13-2016, 08:09 AM   #34
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Agreed - (Though modding the M3 for easy power isn't as cheap as the N54...) But you can do an injector/fuel pump upgrade without resorting to meth. Someone local was selling a Stage-2 turbo for $650...was so tempted...but no. I'd probably do a catted downpipe and a Stage-1 if I cared enough to, but I'm pretty happy.
Wow, that's over $2k discount and cheaper than a stage 1! I am always on the fence for downpipes. They do emissions testing every two years and sometimes put sensors in the end of the exhaust to test... If they were easy enough to remove and install, I'd probably do it, but I think its outside my capabilities so paying for someone to do it for me twice every two years doesn't seem worth it to me.

Back to the original subject, I ordered an Accessport yesterday. Can't wait for it to arrive and test it out! It's suppose to work with the JB3 but I don't think I'll be running both.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 08:17 PM   #35
LeoBurr
6MT Fanatic
Rep

Quote:
Wow, that's over $2k discount and cheaper than a stage 1! I am always on the fence for downpipes. They do emissions testing every two years and sometimes put sensors in the end of the exhaust to test... If they were easy enough to remove and install, I'd probably do it, but I think its outside my capabilities so paying for someone to do it for me twice every two years doesn't seem worth it to me.

Back to the original subject, I ordered an Accessport yesterday. Can't wait for it to arrive and test it out! It's suppose to work with the JB3 but I don't think I'll be running both.
I wouldn't. Just run it alone. There is a catted DP that still shows good gains, but it still is about $800 or so. Definitely get in touch with PTF and get an eTune or make a trek to a Cobb location if you can. Enjoy your AP! I'm definitely happy. The Stage 2 was so tempting, but with the required supporting mods, and my goals for this car...it wasn't in alignment. Would've been fun! But nah.
      05-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #36
burrito007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

is there anything i can do with a 2013 X5 3.5i? I have the BMS stage 1 and its kinda hit or miss. Definitely an improvement over stock, but sometimes the boost just isn't there - you can tell its tricking the system. I want to stick with this X5 because I like the mechanical steering and, even though its a truck, it still feels tighter than the electric 3 series i get as loaner cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #37
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrito007 View Post
is there anything i can do with a 2013 X5 3.5i? I have the BMS stage 1 and its kinda hit or miss. Definitely an improvement over stock, but sometimes the boost just isn't there - you can tell its tricking the system. I want to stick with this X5 because I like the mechanical steering and, even though its a truck, it still feels tighter than the electric 3 series i get as loaner cars.
Not Cobb I don't think, as that was only limited 2011 and midway 2012 models I believe. But you could always send your VIN to josh@Cobb for confirmation.
      05-20-2016, 11:11 AM   #38
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Who makes the catted downpipe and better chargepipe?
      05-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #39
LeoBurr
6MT Fanatic
Rep

Quote:
Who makes the catted downpipe and better chargepipe?
ER makes a F15 charge pipe that fits the E70. They also, I believe, make the downpipe as well. The Catted DP goes for about $900 or so.
      05-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #40
QuadCam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:

BTW, it's not windex...
"boost based" gets people to believe it's high tech, but it's not. Boost doesn't equal airflow; boost is a measure of pressure in the intake manifold. The airflow of the engine at 3000 is roughly half what it is at 6000 rpm..... yet the "boost" value might be the same. Most of the meth systems on the market add too much meth at lower rpms and not enough at higher rpms.

food for thought.....
Appreciate 0