XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #23
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
Depends on the degree and what you do with it. A 4 year IT degree will get you a 6 figure starting position, with stock options, at Uber. A Junior year intern will get $7,995/month (plus housing) at Amazon.
Uh, what planet do you live on? Yeah, if you're lucky enough to get a job at either of those companies, maybe you make 6 figures. Then that 6 figure salary is like making $45K/yr., because you're in a city (could be any city) in CA. I haven't looked into Uber or Amazon on the IT side, but every single other company I've looked at for IT jobs in the last three years (I was in the job market as recent as last year, so I have current knowledge) wants you to have that degree and, here's the key, experience...a lot of it. Which leads me to:

Quote:
Having only a 4 yr degree is like having a GED in today's world.
Not all true. As previously stated, the most difficult requirement to attain to get a job (at least in the business world) these days is experience to go along with that degree. It used to be the other way around. You could get the job with the paper and that got you the experience. Now the game's flipped.

I was lucky enough to have 7 yrs. field after graduating with my Bachelors and Associates degrees which led me to a great starting salary, for a fresh college grad, that I landed in less than 30 days after graduating. Now, with 16 years in this business I land options and one or more offers in 30 days. I got my current job in one 25 min. phone interview...that's what experience does for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 01:48 PM   #24
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Uh, what planet do you live on? Yeah, if you're lucky enough to get a job at either of those companies, maybe you make 6 figures.
There's nothing maybe about what I said.

My neighbor's son has 2 more weeks at Amazon and then he returns. His friend is the one who graduated this year and is now at Uber.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #25
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There's nothing maybe about what I said.

My neighbor's son has 2 more weeks at Amazon and then he returns. His friend is the one who graduated this year and is now at Uber.
So two examples = everyone can just do that? Alright...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #26
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

I am STILL looking for a job which I use to do and get paid since 2006. I found a job which nearly matches the salary, but it was a physical labor job.

SInce, i could not find a job which even matches 75% of what I use to get paid (and what I did), I just work at home now.
Tired of looking for a finance or chemical sector job for 9 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 02:25 PM   #27
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
So two examples = everyone can just do that? Alright...
You need to read carefully, bud.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 05:22 PM   #28
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Depends on the degree and what you do with it. A 4 year IT degree will get you a 6 figure starting position, with stock options, at Uber. A Junior year intern will get $7,995/month (plus housing) at Amazon.
You are lucky

Quote:
Uh, what planet do you live on? Yeah, if you're lucky enough to get a job at either of those companies, maybe you make 6 figures. Then that 6 figure salary is like making $45K/yr., because you're in a city (could be any city) in CA. I haven't looked into Uber or Amazon on the IT side, but every single other company I've looked at for IT jobs in the last three years (I was in the job market as recent as last year, so I have current knowledge) wants you to have that degree and, here's the key, experience...a lot of it. Which leads me to:

Not all true. As previously stated, the most difficult requirement to attain to get a job (at least in the business world) these days is experience to go along with that degree. It used to be the other way around. You could get the job with the paper and that got you the experience. Now the game's flipped.

I was lucky enough to have 7 yrs. field after graduating with my Bachelors and Associates degrees which led me to a great starting salary, for a fresh college grad, that I landed in less than 30 days after graduating. Now, with 16 years in this business I land options and one or more offers in 30 days. I got my current job in one 25 min. phone interview...that's what experience does for you.
You hit jackpot. I speak from experience as I was laid off back in 2009 and had to deliver pizza's for about 4 years in a E39 M5 haha. Also I have friends who were in much higher fields than mine with Masters, trades of all sorts in NY, CT, NJ who couldn't find work for years as well. Luck does play a role. This was the main reason why my family and I relocated to FL. Within a month of moving here I found a temp job until I landed in my permanent role.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #29
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You need to read carefully, bud.
Yes, sir.
Appreciate 0