XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-24-2015, 03:07 AM   #1
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ///M-Sport 335i

What made you choose to reside where you currently live?

Title says it all: why do you currently 'live' where you live? (talk about a little redundancy there )

Is it because that's all you really know? Because you were born there? Do you have a more ideal place that you'd like to live in the future? What does your residence offers that appeals to you more than another city, state, country, etc.?

I'll get it started of course. As all of you can probably see, I reside in Los Angeles. Although I was born & raised here, I cannot really picture myself settling down anywhere else other than here. I would probably be open to living elsewhere for a few years or so, but I definitely feel comfortable enough with saying that when it comes to settling down, my answer will more than likely always be Los Angeles. The combination of amazing weather, opportunities (in both pleasure & business), and a comparatively progressive city in contemporary affairs greatly appeals to me. I definitely feel that Los Angeles, as a whole, is a pioneer in leading views that are more open minded and stray away from archaic principles. The melting pot of cultural diversity, with people from every walk of life is another great appealing trait to me. There's both consistency and the sense of progression in just about every facet of thought one can think of here and that's why, among the aforementioned & even more, I love Los Angeles. (keep in mind my views on Los Angeles are reserved for the 21st Century; I cannot comment on issues with first hand knowledge prior to the 2000's as I wasn't yet born)

So, why do you live where you do now? Do you plan on moving? This isn't necessarily a thread about places in the world you'd merely like to visit, but rather where you can see yourself living for at least a few years--or better yet settle down.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 04:49 AM   #2
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Born in Ohio, wife grew up in Newfoundland and transplanted here for work.

We will eventually move. Careers and the cost of living to standard of living ratio is good here has kept us more than anything. Fix the Ohio weather and lack of scenery and there would be no reason to leave.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 07:00 AM   #3
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Also born/raised in Ohio, but I wouldn't say I've chose to live here so much as it has been dictated to me. After high school I had to stay in state due to college tuition being even more obscene out of state, then after college this is where I've been able to find work.
      08-24-2015, 07:11 AM   #4
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

I moved back to Colorado for work.

Born in Jersey, grew up in Dallas until family moved to northern Colorado in high school. I went to college in Colorado, and have worked in Utah and Arizona before moving back.

Both my wife's and my families live in the area, so it's nice being closer to family.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #5
dauble2k5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 VR E92 335i, 6MT

Born and raised in Indianapolis, however just relocated to Ohio due to my fiancée's work. We'll most likely be heading back to IN after a year or so, but if she gets a job somewhere else, we're open to relocating.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 07:57 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I live where my house is.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2015, 08:03 AM   #7
-June-
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330xi

Born and Raised in Miami, and just moved in Michigan. I made my decision to give up my location for my Fiancé's job and have her still be close to her family. Its more pleasure enough that I am saving money and spending less living here. I also tend to look at this as an opportunity for myself to become more experience in auto technician, my plan is to invest here for a better future back to Miami.

- Excuse my English.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 09:36 AM   #8
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Job took me here. But a job is taking me back to where I came! back to Raleigh I go! I'm really excited about it. I am just about done with all the tedious parts of moving, and tomorrow morning I drive the U Haul on down. NC is the longest place I lived, and I really missed it after about a year and a half here in Columbus. Over 6 months or so I've started applying to companies I wanted to work for, and the past few weeks I got exactly what I was trying for. Once I am back I don't want to leave. It's such a great place to live. 3 hours from the beach, 3 hours from the mountains, 5 hours from Snowshoe, smooth roads, no winter, southern hospitality, RTP area...I don't want to be anywhere else.

My dad came on up to help me finish moving and to drive my car back to NC. Within 30 minutes I got a call from him:

"I have a proposal for you. What I trade you my car for your car?" I think I may have turned him to the BMW side.

Last edited by Welcome to NBA Jam; 08-24-2015 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #9
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
I live here because Melbourne, Australia rocks
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 09:44 AM   #10
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

Born and raised in Calgary, Canada. Currently live just outside. I hate being I'm the city now, I always said I would never leave the city , but as you grow older, things change.

Not to mention its a lot cheaper for housing where I live out side the city, you get a lot more house for the price out here.

However, I would move close to the ocean if I had a choice, but my wife's best friend is her mom and her mom and dad relocated to where I live from the city, so now I can't move anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #11
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Born and raised in Maine, and still live there. I have travelled far and wide for 20+ years in my career, and have found nowhere else I would rather live 8 months out of the year. The other 4, well, I am about done with that and am looking to have a winter place down south. The good thing about a travelling job is you can live anywhere there is an reasonably convenient airport.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 11:16 AM   #12
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Born in Virginia 1969. Folks moved us all to Florida in 1975 where I've lived since 1st grade. Been here in my present city for 28 years. Went to college here and graduated and have been working here for the past 17+ years.
Cost of living is not too bad as compared to other cities and states. Close to the Gulf beaches and only an hour drive from Orlando if I want to hit the theme parks with friends. Got lots of family and friends in an around the area.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #13
CrippledLucifer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 328i 6MT, '16 F10 535i

Garage List
2016 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Born in India, lived across the world and finally settled in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Most people love Toronto or Vancouver, but the moment I visited Ottawa to check out the universities, I fell in love with it. It's a city with over a million people, but still retains that big town feel. It's spread out and feels much more "homely" than say Toronto IMO.

I did my undergraduate here, completed my degree in Medicine here and just purchased a home last year so I'm staying here for the long term. Winters are sometimes rough and make my poor car filthy, but that's a small setback.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2015, 11:33 AM   #14
MuffinMan910
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30 335i xDrive mSport

Born, raised and educated in Toronto, Cananda. Winters aren't easy on the car but makes for good winter sports. Still get amazing springs, summers and falls.
Average price for a detached home is just over $1 million so makes it difficult to think I'm going to stay in Toronto, but I'll try. Probably buy a house just outside the city. (I'm only 24)
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 01:19 AM   #15
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan910 View Post
Born, raised and educated in Toronto, Cananda. Winters aren't easy on the car but makes for good winter sports. Still get amazing springs, summers and falls.
Average price for a detached home is just over $1 million so makes it difficult to think I'm going to stay in Toronto, but I'll try. Probably buy a house just outside the city. (I'm only 24)
Hmm.. that is fairly expensive. Real estate out there, in many respects, seems to be comparable to that of over here at that rate then. Very interesting. :')
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 02:00 AM   #16
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
In 2 weeks, I am going to be moving to Orange County, CA.

Why? I'm drawn to the finer things in life; good living, good cars, good food, and was able to afford all that at one point, but my finances took a nosedive after a failed business venture and a couple other incidents. Now that I feel that my finances are no longer in the red, I not only miss the hell out of Fullerton where I bought a house once, I had a job interview on the outskirts of Irvine, but passed by a waterfront property for sale in Lake Forest that CALLED OUT to me with a daydream... "Ed, you're home. Once you open this door, you'd have your beautiful wife, adorably well-behaved kids and German Shepherd waiting to welcome you home. Now park that 6-figure car in your garage and enjoy the perfect meal the missus cooked." Seriously, I didn't want to leave, and I still have the pic below as motivation (although that's just my car, not the 6-figure car my daydream had in mind).

But with all that being said, I can't wait to get out of this sorry-ass dump called Alhambra. A friend that started out cool but now is an energy-leeching parasite that brings everyone he meets down and likes to complain, lie and make excuses so much that I've picked up his habits, so he doesn't deserve to be in my life. With that, I'm not disclosing what city I'm moving to, I'm changing my number and blocking/deleting him and mutual friends from FB, all of which will probably be the smartest move I've made in 5 years...

...Not to mention with this shit-hole in Alhambra, my roommates are inconsiderate slobs that is all-take-and-no-give, the cockamamie parking arrangement is a nightmare (you have to fit 6 cars in a driveway designed for 3 unless you buy a $60 parking permit and I'm not going to waste money on one), people can't drive around here worth shit, and the only reason I stayed here is that the rent is recockulously cheap when I fell on hard times. Other than that, I had a friend's dad who worked for The Gas Co in Monterey Park, but requested to be transferred to Compton. At first I thought it was ridiculous, but after living here for a while, I can see why.
Attached Images

::THE MACHETE::

Last edited by NEFARIOUS; 09-09-2015 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: This post is worthless without pics!
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 02:11 AM   #17
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
In 2 weeks, I am going to be moving to Orange County, CA.

Why? I'm drawn to the finer things in life; good living, good cars, good food, and was able to afford all that at one point, but my finances took a nosedive after a failed business venture and a couple other incidents. Now that I feel that my finances are no longer in the red, I not only miss the hell out of Fullerton where I bought a house once, I had a job interview on the outskirts of Irvine, but passed by a waterfront property for sale in Lake Forest that CALLED OUT to me with a daydream... "Ed, you're home. Once you open this door, you'd have your beautiful wife, adorably well-behaved kids and German Shepherd waiting to welcome you home. Now park that 6-figure car in your garage and enjoy the perfect meal the missus cooked." Seriously, I didn't want to leave.

But with all that being said, I can't wait to get out of this sorry-ass dump called Alhambra. A friend that started out cool but now is an energy-leeching parasite that brings everyone he meets down and likes to complain, lie and make excuses so much that I've picked up his habits, so he doesn't deserve to be in my life. With that, I'm not disclosing what city I'm moving to, I'm changing my number and blocking/deleting him and mutual friends from FB, all of which will probably be the smartest move I've made in 5 years...

...Not to mention with this shit-hole in Alhambra, my roommates are inconsiderate slobs that is all-take-and-no-give, the cockamamie parking arrangement is a nightmare (you have to fit 6 cars in a driveway designed for 3 unless you buy a $60 parking permit and I'm not going to waste money on one), people can't drive around here worth shit, and the only reason I stayed here is that the rent is recockulously cheap when I fell on hard times. Other than that, I had a friend's dad who worked for The Gas Co in Monterey Park, but requested to be transferred to Compton. At first I thought it was ridiculous, but after living here for a while, I can see why.
I appreciated reading that. :')

If g-d forbid your current plans don't follow through, you're free to roommate with me and we can be the best and most dynamic roommate buds in the whole world!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 05:29 AM   #18
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

There are primarily two dimensions to why I live in D.C. Broadly, they can be described as "why I live in D.C." and "why I don't live elsewhere."

Why I Live in D.C.:
My maternal ancestors dating back to the end of the 17th century were born in D.C. Like them, I was born in D.C. and grew up in D.C., and by the time I'd finished college, I'd developed a strong attachment and appreciation for D.C. and my roots in and around it. After college, the first job I took was with a firm in D.C. I later shifted to the firm's consulting practice and the job didn't require me to move and that hasn't changed.

As for why I live in the neighborhood/house I do, well, that's a bit more serendipitous. The main driver was my ex wife; she liked the house better than the other ones that we looked at at the time. I strongly prefer living in the heart of a city, but had she wanted to, I'd have settled in a different part of the city or one of several surrounding suburbs. It wouldn't have been my preference, but I could have learned to like it.

Why I don't live elsewhere:
My career has afforded me the opportunity to sort of live in a wide variety of places, both in and outside U.S. Thus there are a number of places in the world that I really like. France, Canada, the U.K., and Holland are the places I like best. I've never emigrated from U.S. because culturally, I'm an American. As much as I genuinely enjoy many aspects that differ between those nations and mine, there's always something that "just feels right" about U.S. when I return home to it. So U.S. is where I'll stay; I'll experience the things I like about other nations by via long sojourns or occasional visits there when the mood strikes me.

As for living elsewhere in U.S., well, I think I would enjoy living in several other cities: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Philly, Chicago, Boston, New Orleans, Palm Beach/Jupiter and New York -- Hudson Valley and NYC.
  • S.F. and L.A. -- I've never considered moving to California, however, because I have a thing about natural disasters. Quite simply, I'm not willingly going to move to places prone to unpredictable natural disasters like earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.
  • FL, NOLA, NYC and Boston -- I'm also unwilling to live at sea level on the edge of the sea. I also want to be far enough away from the coast that hurricanes are just bad storms by the time they get to where I am.
  • Chicago -- Too damn cold. I don't mind the cold, but I want to live where it's warm more than it's cold and I don't want to live where it routinely gets "stupid" cold.
  • NYC -- I like living in the middle of the city and having a detached house with a "proper" yard and whatnot. I don't know of any place in NYC that has that than Gracie Mansion. I've lived in a row house in D.C. and much as I like it, I prefer having a yard on four sides of the house.
  • Hudson Valley -- Simply beautiful but most of it is too damn far from a big city. The southern end of it is close enough to Manhattan, but the D.C. burbs are closer to where my heart and roots are. If I were going to live in NY, it'd be Manhattan.
That leaves Philly, but Philly isn't so far from D.C. that I can't enjoy what I like about it, and having no personal history in Philly, I see no point in moving to it.

So at the end of the day, D.C. is a reasonable compromise on all the Mother Nature related stuff that matters to me. I have a place to live in the middle of a cosmopolitan city. I can walk to stuff like restaurants and neighborhood shops. There're places to live that have the quiet and seclusion of the suburbs, but that still are just 10 minutes away from "the life." There's rarely bad traffic inside the city. And last, but nowhere near least, D.C. is easily the prettiest city in U.S. and I am extremely proud to be a Washingtonian with deep roots in the city and the nation. There is no other place on the planet I want to call home.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 07:33 AM   #19
canukgtp
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I have work here...pretty much ends there...well family is all in the area too I guess...but I would be very interested in a life without winter if I had an option, which I don't because the wife has this attachment thing to friends and family...what's up with that? hahaha
2011 E90 335xi (lease up)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 08:01 AM   #20
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by canukgtp View Post
I have work here...pretty much ends there...well family is all in the area too I guess...but I would be very interested in a life without winter if I had an option, which I don't because the wife has this attachment thing to friends and family...what's up with that? hahaha
I lived in Saint John for one year.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 08:04 AM   #21
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
There are primarily two dimensions to why I live in D.C. Broadly, they can be described as "why I live in D.C." and "why I don't live elsewhere."

Why I Live in D.C.:
My maternal ancestors dating back to the end of the 17th century were born in D.C. Like them, I was born in D.C. and grew up in D.C., and by the time I'd finished college, I'd developed a strong attachment and appreciation for D.C. and my roots in and around it. After college, the first job I took was with a firm in D.C. I later shifted to the firm's consulting practice and the job didn't require me to move and that hasn't changed.

As for why I live in the neighborhood/house I do, well, that's a bit more serendipitous. The main driver was my ex wife; she liked the house better than the other ones that we looked at at the time. I strongly prefer living in the heart of a city, but had she wanted to, I'd have settled in a different part of the city or one of several surrounding suburbs. It wouldn't have been my preference, but I could have learned to like it.
A real unicorn here folks, someone who lives in DC who's FROM DC.

Quote:
So at the end of the day, D.C. is a reasonable compromise on all the Mother Nature related stuff that matters to me. I have a place to live in the middle of a cosmopolitan city. I can walk to stuff like restaurants and neighborhood shops. There're places to live that have the quiet and seclusion of the suburbs, but that still are just 10 minutes away from "the life." There's rarely bad traffic inside the city. And last, but nowhere near least, D.C. is easily the prettiest city in U.S. and I am extremely proud to be a Washingtonian with deep roots in the city and the nation. There is no other place on the planet I want to call home.
DC is a very clean city I'll give it that, I thought Chicago proper was clean too and the architecture is very, very nice.

I live here for a much simpler reason. The job market here is great given my background.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #22
canukgtp
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
I lived in Saint John for one year.
I'm very sorry...don't judge the east coast for that please hahaha
2011 E90 335xi (lease up)