XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-20-2015, 09:05 PM   #1
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Worse job ever.....

Thought this would be a neat topic for a thread.
Tell me of the most horrible/dangerous/physically exhausting or just a job you hated for whatever reason....this could be a paid job or any job that went terribly wrong like a home renovation that was more work/cost than you thought etc etc.

In my teens I worked for a chicken catching company and this was shittiest,smelliest,and physically exhausting job.....at the end of the work day your covered in shit/scratched and exhausted.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Worked installing hvac systems for a while. Crawling around under houses finding dead animals and getting insulation all over me sucked. Boss was kind of a drunk so we could booze on the job which wasn't all bad. I was just out of high school doing summer work.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 09:15 PM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

*Worst
Appreciate 3
      08-20-2015, 09:16 PM   #4
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Worked installing hvac systems for a while. Crawling around under houses finding dead animals and getting insulation all over me sucked. Boss was kind of a drunk so we could booze on the job which wasn't all bad. I was just out of high school doing summer work.
Oh man....I'm itchy just reading that.
Well at least you could have a drink if it got too bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

@NEFARIOUS is gonna go crazy in this thread...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
*Worst
Lol....
Hey grammar police are banned from my threads.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #7
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Asbestos removal. Full tyvek suit, respirator, heat, bare steam pipes, cockroaches, tight spaces. Worry about every cough for the rest of your life.

My brother in a steam filled crawlspace under some Boston hospital. I took the pic. Nasty hot.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #8
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Oh man....I'm itchy just reading that.
Well at least you could have a drink if it got too bad.
Yeah that helped. I had to clean the bosses house up and fix his windows after he was loaded up and launched his sand rail in the front yard and broke all the windows out of the house. Kitchen sink was full of rocks and gravel.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 09:24 PM   #9
AlpineE92M3
Currently Driving
Rep
Drives: BPM tuned '13 AW ZCP E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I own a restaurant. Although it's been in my family for almost 30 years, which my father imigrated here from Greece with not a cent in his pocket and opened his own business...the money is undeniably great, but the long 70hours+ night and day, working in hot kitchens during the summer, dealing with shitty customers (not all), and all the breakdowns that happen in an old building. Life is great, but damn, it is some back breaking, hard earned work. Can I just have a desk job with some air conditioning? But honestly, I wouldnt trade it for anything. I was born and raised in the restaurant business, and although I went to college and have a degree in automotive technology, I still LOVE the restaurant and will always. Hard work makes me a better person in my mind. Did I mention the money is great owning ur own business?
Appreciate 2
      08-20-2015, 09:27 PM   #10
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Worst job was asbestos removal. Imagine hot humid summer, you are in a full suit with a mask, it is even hotter inside the building (all closed off to outside), then you have to crawl around pipes in narrow tunnels and remove crap into bags, which later you have drag through the tunnels again and back to the top. At the end of the day you have to go through a cold shower before you go outside and dump the suit, mask etc. The pace of that job was insane (it was never fast enough for the manager) and yeah job lasted only about a month (jobs are not constant). Keep in mind you needed to pay like $600 to get certified.

Things that I saw on the job, which in theory should never happen:

- Most idiots did not wear any masks, and coughed like crazy
- Some even smoked, the best part was when dude was smoking while cleaning the floor with flammable fluid (I got as far as possible once I saw that)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 09:28 PM   #11
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

If anyone was a male fluffer you win.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #12
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by litxus
Worst job was asbestos removal. Imagine hot humid summer, you are in a full suit with a mask, it is even hotter inside the building (all closed off to outside), then you have to crawl around pipes in narrow tunnels and remove crap into bags, which later you have drag through the tunnels again and back to the top. At the end of the day you have to go through a cold shower before you go outside and dump the suit, mask etc. The pace of that job was insane (it was never fast enough for the manager) and yeah job lasted only about a month (jobs are not constant). Keep in mind you needed to pay like $600 to get certified.

Things that I saw on the job, which in theory should never happen:

- Most idiots did not wear any masks, and coughed like crazy
- Some even smoked, the best part was when dude was smoking while cleaning the floor with flammable fluid (I got as far as possible once I saw that)
What did you have for lunch today at work?
I had a lung full of carcinogens......yum!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 09:36 PM   #13
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineE92M3
I own a restaurant. Although it's been in my family for almost 30 years, which my father imigrated here from Greece with not a cent in his pocket and opened his own business...the money is undeniably great, but the long 70hours+ night and day, working in hot kitchens during the summer, dealing with shitty customers (not all), and all the breakdowns that happen in an old building. Life is great, but damn, it is some back breaking, hard earned work. Can I just have a desk job with some air conditioning? But honestly, I wouldnt trade it for anything. I was born and raised in the restaurant business, and although I went to college and have a degree in automotive technology, I still LOVE the restaurant and will always. Hard work makes me a better person in my mind. Did I mention the money is great owning ur own business?
Hard work is good as long as it doesn't break you....and clearly it has only made you stronger.
Good job
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 10:50 PM   #14
AlpineE92M3
Currently Driving
Rep
Drives: BPM tuned '13 AW ZCP E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Hard work is good as long as it doesn't break you....and clearly it has only made you stronger.
Good job
Thanks for the kind words brother. I'm only 31 years old so I feel like I have plenty of hard working years ahead of me. Finding good help is hard to find, so I just gotta keep on trucking and god willing, I can have a son to pass the business off to and keep it in the family. The wife and I are still working on that part lol
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2015, 10:55 PM   #15
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

My boss had some rental property. He knew I helped my dad do some of those, so he hired me to paint one of his.

Walked in, and there was this SWARM of fleas attacking my legs. I told him he gets the carpet out and I will come back.

Came back and started cleaning the kitchen. There was still a roast in the oven. As I washed the ceiling, the grease was running down the pole, down my arm, and into my face.

I only did one property for him
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 11:07 PM   #16
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
My boss had some rental property. He knew I helped my dad do some of those, so he hired me to paint one of his.

Walked in, and there was this SWARM of fleas attacking my legs. I told him he gets the carpet out and I will come back.

Came back and started cleaning the kitchen. There was still a roast in the oven. As I washed the ceiling, the grease was running down the pole, down my arm, and into my face.

I only did one property for him
You greased your bosses pole?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 02:48 AM   #17
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

May I cite "my marriage" in retort to your question?

This was, after all, extremely hard work!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 05:13 AM   #18
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto
May I cite "my marriage" in retort to your question?

This was, after all, extremely hard work!
Haha.....who would have thought marriage would be work
Some have to work harder than others surely, I got fired from my last marriage job
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 05:54 AM   #19
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

automotive refinishing and welding

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 05:56 AM   #20
j_marinelli
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mustang GT

Oh man where do I begin.

My first full time job in swimming pool construction as a pool plaster at the time seemed like the worst possible job due to the physical labor and summer heat. Looking back at it I miss it now because I was more in shape and usually done with work and home no later than 1 or 2 everyday.

Right now Id say I have a pretty crappy job due to ownership and the wonderful business skills that they have He gripes about reducing overhead 5K a month because we aren't making enough money yet then takes the company debut card and blows over 5K on a fishing trip for him and one other guy. That is just the tip of the iceberg on the profits he blows annually. The only saving grace is that I am the only person in that company that can do what I do. They can always bring in someone new but I seriously doubt they will. I do have my eyes open for something better so I do get satisfaction on knowing the day is coming when I will give my notice and send the company into a $hit storm
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 06:13 AM   #21
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Thought this would be a neat topic for a thread.
Tell me of the most horrible/dangerous/physically exhausting or just a job you hated for whatever reason....this could be a paid job or any job that went terribly wrong like a home renovation that was more work/cost than you thought etc etc.

In my teens I worked for a chicken catching company and this was shittiest,smelliest,and physically exhausting job.....at the end of the work day your covered in shit/scratched and exhausted.
Easy: working for my father was the worst job I ever had. I worked out of the maintenance shop of his real estate company. I was a building maintenance carpenter's assistant, or to put it bluntly, laborer. I did whatever I was asked to do and that was pretty much the job description.
  • The work was physically demanding (compared to most other summer jobs my friends had). Try being a skinny kid climbing on a slippery ladder through an accessway to a roof while holding a five gallon can of roofing tar. Then repeat the trip to bring multiple cans up to the roof after which you have to then work on the roof in the blazing sun, often enough having also to heat the tar and wear protective clothing so you don't burn yourself.

• I had to go to some of the most unsavory parts of town at times. Not such a big deal now, but as a teenager, it was scary.
  • Sometimes the work was downright disgusting, such as having to fix a clogged or overflowed toilet that was full of feces and as often as not had urine and excrement on the floor as well. A few of those overflowed commodes had spilled enough water that the ceiling of the unit below also needed to be repaired/replaced. No matter how nice the building, there are invariably roaches, and occasionally mice, dead mice, birds, bats, or other critters, and/or their feces in between floors or between ceiling and a roof. One just never knew what to one was in for until one got there to see. Plus, whenever one works around bugs, there's always the risk that they or their eggs will end up coming home in one's clothes/shoes.
  • Speaking of bugs, I once was walking around the lawn at one of Dad's buildings and stepped on a yellow-jack nest. I didn't know it until I got stung and saw a cloud of the damn things forming around me. I dropped everything and ran like crazy around the building and into the back entrance. I had to go back at night and destroy the nest.

Another summer I had to help remove a hornets' nest from a passive exhaust vent. Fortunately we knew what we were headed for and had the appropriate gear. I still got stung a few times and it hurt like a MF!

It wasn't those buildings, but the pics should give you the general gist of what was going on. Obviously, the trick is to get rid of the next and not flood the tenant's apartment with hornets. We didn't "flood" the place with hornets, but we left a note telling the tenant they might have to kill one or two that may have gotten past us. I'm just glad it wasn't as bad as this...

As much as I hated the job overall, it wasn't always horrible, and the job had its upsides as well:
  • It paid really well, better than all my friends' summer jobs did. And don't think I was doing all that stuff alone.
  • I wasn't working alone, so it wasn't boring.
  • Blue collar types have, to say the least, a colorful way of seeing the world around them. Being "a fly on the wall" for some of their conversations was enlightening and entertaining at times.
  • I learned many useful household maintenance skills: pluming, electrical work, wall, floor and ceiling repair/installation, painting, glass cutting, door installation, lock picking and/or drilling, woodworking, the hard way and the easy way to do certain things, etc.
  • It was kind of cool to see some of the stuff I'd learned in geometry class applied in real life. It was somewhat artful to see the carpenter applying the principles I'd studied, all the while knowing the only thing he knew about Euclid was that it is the name of several streets in D.C. and that we had properties on each of them. LOL All the same, those skills have come in handy at multiple points in my life since then, sometimes in an immediately practical way, other times just because I'm aware of them and "how stuff works."
All in all, my description of my worst job is but a reflection of it's having been the worst one I've had. I know without a doubt there are worse jobs and that unlike my high school summer job, they perform them for a living.

After high school, I never have had a job that I really didn't like, although the few I have had since then have all had elements that I really don't and didn't like.
  • I hated having to give students an "F" when I was teaching. That led me to give more "essay"/unaided recall test questions rather than multiple choice/true false ones. At least I could give partial credit for essays-type answers. Multiple choice stinks for the student because for whatever they do know, if they choose the wrong answer, they get no credit.
  • I hate having to dismiss people from a project or from the firm in general. Even when doing so is justified and/or necessary, I hate doing it. I hate it so much that I'll often reach out to associates and coordinate getting the person a new job/role, making sure both parties know the circumstances that brought the three of us together in that moment. Most of the times I've done that, things work out for everyone and I feel somewhat better about how it had to play out along the way.
  • I hate doing things for the money rather than because it's the right/best thing to do.
All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 06:40 AM   #22
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineE92M3 View Post
Typical Greek! hahaha

Same here brother. Parents just closed 30 years of ownership. Agree 100% with everything you said. My dad is on vacation now in Argos and calls every other day to check the totals, inventory...I call him a Malaka and hang up.

I have worked there since 9 years old. Luckily with my education I got out of running it full time, but you're never really out...I'm still there a lot after work and on weekends.

Money is great, but the hours...got to love the golden handcuffs.

*Worst job I ever had was working in the meat department of a large Supermarket...I'm honestly surprised I didn't become a vegetarian with what I've seen, smelled and had to clean up.

Last edited by CANGRKE70; 08-21-2015 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 0