XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-27-2022, 12:19 PM   #1
trillypop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Sluggish, CEL

Hey guys,

Curious what you think about these codes. Wife was driving yesterday, got a CEL, has been driving a little sluggish like it’s in limp mode. I haven’t had a chance to drive the truck yet. It has about 95k miles and a fresh engine rebuild this year which has been perfect. I did scan it last night and pulled codes 29DF (fuel injector rail 2, pressure sensor signal) and 2A82 (VANOS intake).

I’m thinking it’s a HPFP, but I don’t know anything about VANOS and how often they go bad. The pumps were not replaced nor were VANOS solenoids at time of engine rebuild, this was just swapped over.

Should I start by replacing the HPFPs?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 07:40 PM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillypop View Post
Hey guys,

Curious what you think about these codes. Wife was driving yesterday, got a CEL, has been driving a little sluggish like it’s in limp mode. I haven’t had a chance to drive the truck yet. It has about 95k miles and a fresh engine rebuild this year which has been perfect. I did scan it last night and pulled codes 29DF (fuel injector rail 2, pressure sensor signal) and 2A82 (VANOS intake).

I’m thinking it’s a HPFP, but I don’t know anything about VANOS and how often they go bad. The pumps were not replaced nor were VANOS solenoids at time of engine rebuild, this was just swapped over.

Should I start by replacing the HPFPs?
If it is a sensor signal code, I would start by replacing just the high pressure fuel sensor on rail 2 (Drivers side) after you confirm the wiring to the sensor is ok. Its not easy to get to, recommend pulling tire and wheel well.

If you are getting Vanos codes, best just replace them all at the same time, it will save you future headaches as they all tend to go one after the other.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 08:57 PM   #3
trillypop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
If it is a sensor signal code, I would start by replacing just the high pressure fuel sensor on rail 2 (Drivers side) after you confirm the wiring to the sensor is ok. Its not easy to get to, recommend pulling tire and wheel well.

If you are getting Vanos codes, best just replace them all at the same time, it will save you future headaches as they all tend to go one after the other.

Word, I agree. I did order fuel pumps. I remembered we actually had one fail 3 years ago, so I’ll probably just change them as preventative care.
When I got home today I re-scanned and just showed the VANOS code, so I think that’s the issue. Will get all those solenoids replaced.
Appreciate 0