XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
Syman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 530d & 2011 X5 35d

Turbo Needed X5 35d - HELP!!!

i find it strange that my x5 35d has 26,000km and the dealer is telling me i need a new turbo after spending a couple thousand on a new NOS sensor and other sensors they claimed was needed.
they had a recall on the EGA valve and i had to purchase it myself as the dealer couldn't get the part in time. Its the second time i have purchased this EGA valve.

I'm not impressed with the service i am getting at all.

All started with a "check engine power is reduced" at high revs of 4000rpm.

Has anyone experienced this problem? i think the dealer is experimenting with my vehicle and i'm about to call it quits.

Not impressed BMW!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Why are you paying for these parts yourself? I realize that you are in Jamaica, but isn't the warranty at least 4 years?

What codes is your car throwing? If you could tell us that, then we can go from there
      03-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

You have a 2011 X35d with low miles. It's all under warranty: stop stressing!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Another example of how dealers take advantage of uninformed customers.

OP, hope you can get your money back, as it seems like your vehicle is still under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 03:44 AM   #5
Syman
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'll get the codes and send them to you but how do you know the vehicle is still under warranty?
I was told the "international warranty" was up and I'm on my own now.

The first time the vehicle went to them it was still under warranty and the problem wasn't fixed so in my opinion they should still honor it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 03:46 AM   #6
Syman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
You have a 2011 X35d with low miles. It's all under warranty: stop stressing!
Would it still be under warranty if the vehicle is not in the states?

They say the vehicle is not to be exported, US only!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
Thirdy
Private
Rep
Drives: F48 Estroril Blue M-Sport

I doubt it if yours is covered by warranty since you said vehicle is NOT to be exported, US only and your profile says you're in Jamaica.

The turbo on my X5d needs to be replaced too. Last week I was on my way for a vacation and at about 50 miles on the road I got the error engine malfunction and the engine sound was really bad like its one of those big ford diesel trucks. I see exhaust fumes around the engine when I opened the hood. I thought it was the egr cooler. Error said I can still drive the car but with reduced power. So I had to turn around and took my X5 to the dealership since I am still covered by warranty. My SA came back to me after 30 minutes and said my turbo is broken and needs to be replaced. It was good I was given a brand new X3 as a loaner. My SA called me the next day and was told the replacement part is not available and it will be shipped from germany and will take about more than 2 weeks to arrive. So I will be in their loaner I guess for the next 2 to 3 weeks.

I don't know if this turbos are common problems on the X5d's or I just had a bad one. But this thing made me think twice if I will keep it after my CPO coverage will expire. I am pretty much handy in fixing cars and have access to BMW diagnosis software (ISTA D).

Last edited by Thirdy; 03-21-2014 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
Syman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdy
I doubt it if yours is covered by warranty since you said vehicle is NOT to be exported, US only and your profile says you're in Jamaica.

The turbo on my X5d needs to be replaced too. Last week I was on my way for a vacation and at about 50 miles on the road I got the error engine malfunction and the engine sound was really bad like its one of those big ford diesel trucks. I see exhaust fumes around the engine when I opened the hood. I thought it was the egr cooler. Error said I can still drive the car but with reduced power. So I had to turn around and took my X5 to the dealership since I am still covered by warranty. My SA came back to me after 30 minutes and said my turbo is broken and needs to be replaced. It was good I was given a brand new X3 as a loaner. My SA called me the next day and was told the replacement part is not available and it will be shipped from germany and will take about more than 2 weeks to arrive. So I will be in their loaner I guess for the next 2 to 3 weeks.

I don't know if this turbos are common problems on the X5d's or I just had a bad one. But this thing made me think twice if I will keep it after my CPO coverage will expire. I am pretty much handy in fixing cars and have access to BMW diagnosis software (ISTA D).
Sounds like what I'm going through. I got the "engine malfunction and reduced power" also. Sometimes it happens at low speeds but always when the RPM is at 4,000 or over.

I took the car the dealer when the warranty was still valid but the problem wasn't fixed so I sent it back. When it went back that's when the warranty expired.
Not sure what's gonna happened next as I've already spent over $2,500 on parts alone like NOS sensor and another EGA valve.
I'm not impressed with the service I'm getting.

Funny thing also, I bought the car from a dealer in Texas, I didn't know the car wasn't to leave the US. I had to import the fuel for about six months before it was available locally. So this car has been costing me a pretty penny from the beginning.
Appreciate 0