XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #45
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
little off topic guys, do I need to have battery charger/tender to be connected to battery while doing coding? Is this necessary or just a percussion? I have iCarly adapter ready to go. If it's a good idea to have a charger connected could you recommend one? tyall
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #46
dpie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca
little off topic guys, do I need to have battery charger/tender to be connected to battery while doing coding? Is this necessary or just a percussion? I have iCarly adapter ready to go. If it's a good idea to have a charger connected could you recommend one? tyall
No charger/tender necessary. Just plug it in and go.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 04:11 PM   #47
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
I did all the coding with the engine running
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 04:30 PM   #48
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
thx guys!
I stopped by service center on my way from work today and spoke to my service adviser, there are 2 recalls right now: 1st injectors (I scheduled appointment for Thursday March 3rd.) 2nd for Airbag (obviously) no parts available yet but we know that! They suppose to call me when parts are in.
Since I was there I checked the accessories shop as always
got the BMW charger (always a good idea to have even if I'm not gonna use it for coding) and this little thing, I love it
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 09:29 PM   #49
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
Perhaps I could offer that, but I've got two very young children, a wife and dog... I simply don't want to advertise out my time like that.

I looked into the coding myself route.. But that german software and poorly written directions scared the crap out of me. The various DIY's are so incomplete and usually for a different car, that I said F it, just pay for it...

Longer story long, I had a local do my coding initially. Great guy, paid over $100. He came to my home. He's on this forum I think, or at least known here for local and remote coding. Well had some warranty work done, and all of that work was wiped out. Asking to have it re-done, was still going to cost about $100, getting a "deal," as a repeat customer. Thus why I spent what I did with the Carly setup.

Warranty work also messed up my Cobb tune. Best practice, unmarry accessport before each service! Cobb had to re-issue a license for my accessport and I could reuse it again.
I have the 1st gen adapter and needed to do CIC coding. That meant buying the new adapter. I know I would have to go register new battery down the line, so I figured this would be the time to finally pick up coding. I just recently got all the coding files (this past month) and installed it in my Surface Pro 3 (Windows 10 64 bit). It is running fine and I do have the software mostly in English. Bought the cable for $30 which is half the cost of the new gen 2 carly adapter. If you want to take up coding, I can help if you got questions.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #50
chusteveb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgboost View Post
I have the 1st gen adapter and needed to do CIC coding. That meant buying the new adapter. I know I would have to go register new battery down the line, so I figured this would be the time to finally pick up coding. I just recently got all the coding files (this past month) and installed it in my Surface Pro 3 (Windows 10 64 bit). It is running fine and I do have the software mostly in English. Bought the cable for $30 which is half the cost of the new gen 2 carly adapter. If you want to take up coding, I can help if you got questions.
I'm all in for getting help on coding!

I have the correct cable and even have the software, or at least I think I do. I'm stuck at configuring the software and getting the initial setup loaded. I'm worried that if the software is this hard to set up, that it might be that much harder to code. It's not nearly as simple as it is on my S4 and R8.

And there is one thing that I'd really really, REEEEALLY like to have coded that I haven't seen yet, and that is to code for the navigation to be able to automatically switch back and forth from day and night modes. I just don't understand how a 2013 X5 M doesn't have this capability from the get-go! I'm hoping and praying that someday I'll find the coding offered for this.

Last edited by chusteveb; 02-28-2016 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:54 AM   #51
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chusteveb View Post
I'm all in for getting help on coding!

I have the correct cable and even have the software, or at least I think I do. I'm stuck at configuring the software and getting the initial setup loaded. I'm worried that if the software is this hard to set up, that it might be that much harder to code. It's not nearly as simple as it is on my S4 and R8.

And there is one thing that I'd really really, REEEEALLY like to have coded that I haven't seen yet, and that is to code for the navigation to be able to automatically switch back and forth from day and night modes. I just don't understand how a 2013 X5 M doesn't have this capability from the get-go! I'm hoping and praying that someday I'll find the coding offered for this.
For the most part, the most frustrating part was getting the right software. After that, the coding part was pretty easy using the coding tool. I'm not sure if my initial cable was working or not, but ordered a different one which works http://www.ebay.com/itm/291675297368...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you go to this thread and request the files, you'll be on a good start http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=699036

When you install BMW Standard Tools 2.12, right click it, set compatibility as Windows XP SP3. I also downloaded the latest daten files off torrent sites, it had all of the chassis (or a lot of them since the file was around 15 gigs). Then I searched around for coding profiles .pfl files and english translation.

I skipped the INPA part in the NCS diys where they tell you to check airbags. I don't think E70 is compatible with INPA.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 08:29 AM   #52
chusteveb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgboost View Post
For the most part, the most frustrating part was getting the right software. After that, the coding part was pretty easy using the coding tool. I'm not sure if my initial cable was working or not, but ordered a different one which works http://www.ebay.com/itm/291675297368...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you go to this thread and request the files, you'll be on a good start http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=699036

When you install BMW Standard Tools 2.12, right click it, set compatibility as Windows XP SP3. I also downloaded the latest daten files off torrent sites, it had all of the chassis (or a lot of them since the file was around 15 gigs). Then I searched around for coding profiles .pfl files and english translation.

I skipped the INPA part in the NCS diys where they tell you to check airbags. I don't think E70 is compatible with INPA.
Thanks for the advice!
I'll definitely look into this.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 03:57 AM   #53
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Anyone get HUD options or Tire PSI/Temp on iDrive screen with Carly app?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 07:15 AM   #54
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
Anyone get HUD options or Tire PSI/Temp on iDrive screen with Carly app?
no, only turn signals and they don't work on HUD either.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 09:41 AM   #55
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier but has anyone been able to eliminate the fog light illumination when turning or using your blinker? I always thought it looked like I had a fog light out because of this feature and personally find it pointless.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #56
dpie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39
Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier but has anyone been able to eliminate the fog light illumination when turning or using your blinker? I always thought it looked like I had a fog light out because of this feature and personally find it pointless.
Yes it's is in the lighting module. Turn off the "cornering light" option. I believe that's what it's called.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 09:22 PM   #57
jonM511
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpie89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by empwrd
I can't seem to get my trunk close of FOB working......
It needs a few hours for the reprogramming on this module to be complete. I coded mine and then tried it multiple times and eventually gave up. In the morning it worked just fine.
So true!!! thanks so much for this info, I was frustrated all the options coded up in Carly except for the tailgate close by FOB.

waited like 5 hours went back to the car and it works....whaaaa laaahhhh
Appreciate 0