XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Orientexpress
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 MB 335i, E70 AW Diesel

Canadian looking for help to purchase a new US X5D

The past few months I've been searching the USA for importing an X5 Diesel with certain options. I have been unable to find anything CPO even from a reputable dealership either. There has been a few hits on some of the so called grey market dealerships however I am a little hesitant as Ive read the stories about lemons and dealer buybacks. I even tried calling different dealerships to see if they would sell to a Canadian. The answer to all of them was we cannot.
If were to find a US resident who would be willing to place a order from a US dealer, register and title the vehicle in their state and resell to me privately this would be ideal. However I do not have relatives who are remotely close to any of the border states. Obviously I would front for the deposit for the new vehicle, registration and such. Why go through all this trouble some of you ask? Well currently as I special order a Canadian spec X5 35D my total comes up to $85,000 CAD
With a US Spec special ordered I have gotten an MSRP of $66,000 USD. Currently the CAD$=USD$. Now I've read many dealerships will sell 1000 above invoice. Invoice price is 60,000. The difference is huge. I just wanted to explore all options as I am set on purchasing a US vehicle for sure.

Vishnu PROcede V5 Rev.3 | Helix Intercooler | Vishnu DCI | Forge Diverters | AR OCC | AR Catted DP | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Aero Front Lip | Mtech Sideskirts | BMW 269 Wheels | 10&12mm Spacers | BMW SSK | F1 Autohaus LED | Rear Fog Light Mod
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Reeves Import in Tampa, Florida is selling to anybody who has the money. You should not have any problems with them.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
aeggroup
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 MB E350, 2011 GL350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orientexpress View Post
The past few months I've been searching the USA for importing an X5 Diesel with certain options. I have been unable to find anything CPO even from a reputable dealership either. There has been a few hits on some of the so called grey market dealerships however I am a little hesitant as Ive read the stories about lemons and dealer buybacks. I even tried calling different dealerships to see if they would sell to a Canadian. The answer to all of them was we cannot.
If were to find a US resident who would be willing to place a order from a US dealer, register and title the vehicle in their state and resell to me privately this would be ideal. However I do not have relatives who are remotely close to any of the border states. Obviously I would front for the deposit for the new vehicle, registration and such. Why go through all this trouble some of you ask? Well currently as I special order a Canadian spec X5 35D my total comes up to $85,000 CAD
With a US Spec special ordered I have gotten an MSRP of $66,000 USD. Currently the CAD$=USD$. Now I've read many dealerships will sell 1000 above invoice. Invoice price is 60,000. The difference is huge. I just wanted to explore all options as I am set on purchasing a US vehicle for sure.
I think you understand, that IF any person will try to help you with that business - it will not be for free and will reqiure at least 50% deposit. Another question - do you have to pay any customs fees ?
      01-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
Orientexpress
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I do understand a deposit would be 50%. Unless of course I am actually there to pay in full for the vehicle. My understanding when purchasing a new vehicle most of the time only a deposit is required which I would pay. The balance of the vehicle which would be due upon arrival which I would be there in person to pay for as well. The only portion that I would not be able to do is title/register/applicable state tax in which only a resident can perform. So in fact there really would be almost no risk to the US resident. I would pay the deposit. If for some reason I back out of the deal the resident is still not liable. The dealership keeps the deposit. In fact its probably more risk to myself since I require someone to title and register the vehicle in their name which I really paid for and I am hoping they will resell it to me to export. There maybe something I am missing but this is my understanding of the order process.

As for custom fees. Yes Canada customs would charge me GST Tax which is 5% of the purchase price on the bill of sale. Also there is (RIV) Registration or Imported Vehicles fee for 200$. X5's are built in the USA so I would not have to pay duty which is a bonus.

Vishnu PROcede V5 Rev.3 | Helix Intercooler | Vishnu DCI | Forge Diverters | AR OCC | AR Catted DP | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Aero Front Lip | Mtech Sideskirts | BMW 269 Wheels | 10&12mm Spacers | BMW SSK | F1 Autohaus LED | Rear Fog Light Mod
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
kennyt
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M

I didn't have issues with Pacific BMW in California. They would sell me a brand new X5M. Only catch is paying 9.75% sales tax if you plan to drive it back to Edmonton. You don't pay Calif. sales tax if you ship it to your house. Not sure about shipping cost from Calif. but it's about $1000 to ship from Chicago, Il. to Calgary.

Oregon doesn't have sales tax but they won't sell new vehicle to Canadians. You can go to Texas and buy it there and as long as you don't register the vehicle in Texas, you don't pay sales tax. Dealers in Texas will sell anything to you as long as you have the money. Take a couple weeks of vacation and enjoy the drive back.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
1buck
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35d

Quote:
I do understand a deposit would be 50%. Unless of course I am actually there to pay in full for the vehicle. My understanding when purchasing a new vehicle most of the time only a deposit is required which I would pay. The balance of the vehicle which would be due upon arrival which I would be there in person to pay for as well. The only portion that I would not be able to do is title/register/applicable state tax in which only a resident can perform. So in fact there really would be almost no risk to the US resident. I would pay the deposit. If for some reason I back out of the deal the resident is still not liable. The dealership keeps the deposit. In fact its probably more risk to myself since I require someone to title and register the vehicle in their name which I really paid for and I am hoping they will resell it to me to export. There maybe something I am missing but this is my understanding of the order process.

As for custom fees. Yes Canada customs would charge me GST Tax which is 5% of the purchase price on the bill of sale. Also there is (RIV) Registration or Imported Vehicles fee for 200$. X5's are built in the USA so I would not have to pay duty which is a bonus.
Will be hard pressed to have someone purchase and register a vehicle for you- too much risk and its a pita. Your easiest bet is looking for someone selling a 10 or 11: just be patient. I think there will be more than a few people who buy the X5d-who will sell them quickly ( with in one year) because they wont easily adapt to the personality issues that diesel vehicle presents 1st time diesel owners-(keeping up with DEF-learning how to predict Turbo Lag- chewing on Fuel Cost & Availability & Smell, ((I think some soccer mums will be sending hubby to fill the X- ect)) you really have to want a Diesel to equip the X5 with one-
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
Peter.J
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

I don't think what you want is unreasonable or difficult. I live in Charleston, SC, vehicle is built in Greenville, SC. I have just purchased an x5m local bmw dealer and a mini from greenville dealer. Both are great places to work with. I don't check email regularly, but I am willing tro help if not to much a pain. Give me a call and tell me exactly what you want and i'll call the two dealers and find out the details. Peter 843-513-7667. As far as the deposit goes, you can order a vehicle, place a deposit, have it come in, change your mind and get your deposit refunded in full.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
Orientexpress
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So I ended up ordering new from the USA. I was able to get invoice +500+Fees with the 3500 dollar eco credit however I do have to pay state tax, registration and title. Even still it was worth it in the end. Although now I must wait roughly 8 weeks. It will make for a good excuse to make a good trip to the south states again. Ill be posting pictures of the trip from nice and sunny to dumploads of snow. Unless the snow is gone by then. Thanks again for everyones input!

Last edited by Orientexpress; 01-21-2011 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
1buck
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35d

Quote:
So I ended up ordering new from southern part of the USA. I was able to get invoice +500+Fees with the 3500 dollar eco credit however I do have to pay state tax, registration and title. Even still it was worth it in the end. Although now I must wait roughly 8 weeks. It will make for a good excuse to make a good trip to the south states again. Ill be posting pictures of the trip from nice and sunny to dumploads of snow. Unless the snow is gone by then. Thanks again for everyones input!
Congrats and I humbly stand corrected- someone did help you, with out any problem- that was a pretty nice offer- very nice. And I think South Carolina sales tax is limited to a fairly low fixed amount on vehicle purchases- Peter J could probably confirm it-
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
carlukey
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5 5.0

i just bought a brand new 2011 x5 5.0 it is not diesel but i'm in utah and would be willing to sell it to you for 8000 less than sticker. only have 3000 miles on it and you would be happier with it than a diesel. This is fully loaded with m pkg etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
carlukey
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5 5.0

here is my number if interested. 435 896 9085
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #12
black_fx_35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Luekenga View Post
i just bought a brand new 2011 x5 5.0 it is not diesel but i'm in utah and would be willing to sell it to you for 8000 less than sticker. only have 3000 miles on it and you would be happier with it than a diesel. This is fully loaded with m pkg etc.
I just purchased my brand new 2011 X5D for 10K less than sticker with incentives...you are offering 8K less with 3K miles on it?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #13
listerone
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540d

I've read posts by several Canadians who've imported US standard cars into Canada (or have considered it) and each one has said it's *very* difficult and *very* expensive to do so because of various requirements by the Canadian government (equipment,etc).You might want to investigate that angle before proceeding.
Formerly: 2009 335d
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
Orientexpress
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

This is what is required for an X5 to enter Canada.

1. It must be an admissible vehicle into Canada ( Based on the RIV.ca website Yes )
2. Metric speedometer ( US Spec X5 Has both MPH and KPH )
3. Daytime Running Lights ( Enabled in iDrive )
4. LATCH Child Restraint ( Yes it does )
5. Air Bags ( Yes it does )
6. Vehicle must be less than 10,000 lbs ( Yes it is )
7. Valid VIN number ( Yes it does )

I think the older x5 required a cluster changeout which would be very expensive.
The only part that is confusing to me is what Canada Customs will use as a value to charge GST. Whether it is Canadian Redbook price or US Kelly Bluebook price or charge based on a Bill of Sale.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #15
danlauz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: z4m 2007+x5 2009+330 cic 2003

Copy of your purshase contract. I have imported 2 bmw in the past 12 months... Could not be more easy
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #16
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

Correct me if I am wrong, but do you not also require a letter from BMW Canada to allow for registration? As well, have you looked at what warranties will be honoured by BMW Canada?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 09:10 PM   #17
kennyt
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M

Get the dealer in US to obtain the letter from BMW North America for free. Ensure Daytime Running Light is enabled before taking it back (can be done via iDrive on US vehicles). RIV will accept the letter from BMW North America.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #18
Orientexpress
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Get the dealer in US to obtain the letter from BMW North America for free. Ensure Daytime Running Light is enabled before taking it back (can be done via iDrive on US vehicles). RIV will accept the letter from BMW North America.
Exactly! BMW Canada has been charging a fee for the "Recall Letter". BMW dealership in the USA can provide as well.

As for Warranties. BMW Canada will honor warranties however the scheduled maintenance is not honored. Even with 4 years scheduled maintenance I still believe it is still worth it. My 2008 E92 has seen 2 scheduled services which they only changed the oil.

Last edited by Orientexpress; 01-18-2011 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #19
chinaman01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 35i premium

i had no prob buying my 11 x5 from Competition BMW of Smithtown in long island, ny. they extend all event discount,apr and went about 2k under the invoice. they have over 150 cars on lot so im sure u can find one with the options you like. my final price for my x5 was 54k straight. this included all packages and side step.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #20
black_fx_35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman01 View Post
i had no prob buying my 11 x5 from Competition BMW of Smithtown in long island, ny. they extend all event discount,apr and went about 2k under the invoice. they have over 150 cars on lot so im sure u can find one with the options you like. my final price for my x5 was 54k straight. this included all packages and side step.
Are you living in Canada or NY?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #21
varunr
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

orientexpress can you provide the contact details of the dealer from where you purchased the vehicle?

Did you have to take the help of third party or were you able to obtain it directly?

I would like to hear your experience currently in the market to buy one for myself
Appreciate 0