XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-19-2008, 12:07 AM   #1
ggatlin
Rep
Drives: BMX X6

Cracked Tire X6

Well, today driving at night from San Salvador to San Pedro Sula I hit a hole in the road, which cracket the front left tire. Arrhh, Hurts. Only have 2200 Kms in the car!! I inmediately felt the car want to go left, and thus slowed down, then the Idrive displayed Loss of Tire Pressure. I kept driving until the next gas station, where I then proceeded to change the tire. The spare is really small!!! And you can't drive over 80Km per Hour. Should have just left the tire, and came home.....

My questions is, I will buy a new tire, since the one bad is cracked on the side. Will having a new tire on the left affect the performance? The wheel looks good, no damage, is is possible anything else was damaged?

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. George
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 02:08 AM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggatlin View Post
Well, today driving at night from San Salvador to San Pedro Sula I hit a hole in the road, which cracket the front left tire. Arrhh, Hurts. Only have 2200 Kms in the car!! I inmediately felt the car want to go left, and thus slowed down, then the Idrive displayed Loss of Tire Pressure. I kept driving until the next gas station, where I then proceeded to change the tire. The spare is really small!!! And you can't drive over 80Km per Hour. Should have just left the tire, and came home.....

My questions is, I will buy a new tire, since the one bad is cracked on the side. Will having a new tire on the left affect the performance? The wheel looks good, no damage, is is possible anything else was damaged?

When you get the new tyre,get the garage to check the wheel with the old tyre removed,BEFORE they fit the new tyre, they can spin the wheel (NO TYRE) on there machine and see how much it's out of ballance. They will be able to give you advice from there.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 02:21 AM   #3
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
When you get the new tyre,get the garage to check the wheel with the old tyre removed,BEFORE they fit the new tyre, they can spin the wheel (NO TYRE) on there machine and see how much it's out of ballance. They will be able to give you advice from there.
Yes, i agree...just check alloy for any damage after removal "destroyed" tyre and to spinning the wheel without and with new tyre.
NEW TYRE WILL DO THE SAME RIDE!

DONT WORRY,ENJOY!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggatlin View Post

George sorry to here this, depending on the speed I would have front end checked too.

For those of you that haven't picked up your X6 yet I highly recommend the wheel and tire protection, it is really useful for just this type of incident. When you trash a tire and/or wheel like George did they replace it.

I don't know if this is a US only thing but worth the money considering the cost of the X6 tire/wheels. My protection cost $950, which I view as cheap as I can image the cost of replacing the rear 20's to be ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

i dont understand....what do you mean under "wheel and tyre protection"? and cost 950 $?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
i dont understand....what do you mean under "wheel and tyre protection"? and cost 950 $?
This was offered by my dealer like ext warranty , maintenance, etc
as I said don't know if it's offered everywhere but if it is , get it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
George sorry to here this, depending on the speed I would have front end checked too.

For those of you that haven't picked up your X6 yet I highly recommend the wheel and tire protection, it is really useful for just this type of incident. When you trash a tire and/or wheel like George did they replace it.

I don't know if this is a US only thing but worth the money considering the cost of the X6 tire/wheels. My protection cost $950, which I view as cheap as I can image the cost of replacing the rear 20's to be ridiculous.
I had added that to my order too. The nice lady at the BMW dealer ship was kind enough and explained EVERY detail of this additional warranty and as dmlgc mentioned, it gives you peace of mind.

My cost was C$899.00 for the 5 year tire and wheel protection plan. It does NOT cover regular tire wear and scratches on your rims (eg you hit the curb while parking and scratch up your rims). Over a five year period, I think this is cheap. If you do end up getting a flat and if it ruins the RFT, they will replace the tire!

I highly recommend this warranty!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

A-ha..i have same thing in my isurance policy..yeah cool thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 12:04 AM   #9
leonelm3
SHOCKINVIBES MOTORSPORTS !
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001AA SC E46M3+09AudiQ7 Sline

Good to know.

I will Inquire with BMW PRF CTR hwne we take delivery. right now, all i have planned is the ext BMW MAINTAINCE warranty for $1995. I am not sure if I can/will benefit from this Tire/wheel warranty if I have pland a set of 22s pretty much right after the 500 mile break-in period is complete!
2008 BMW X6 xDrive 50i
on 22's
Appreciate 0