XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-14-2008, 05:44 AM   #1
PeTo_H
Private
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: '99 528iA, X6 35i on the way

I just testdrove 35d and I'm just excited :)

Hello everyone.
As I have a 35i (Mineral silver, Oyster and flywheel trim) on order with delivery hopefully at the end of 2008, or 1Q 2009, the dealer gave me their Black/Beige 35d for a one day test drive.
I have driven almost 800 km in it, half of it on freeway, and the other half country roads, somewhere very twisty mountain roads.
I am totally impressed with the cars cornering abilities (it had Adaprive Drive).
I made around 200 km of very twisty roads where normal speed is between 50 - 70 km/h, in speeds from 80 - 110 km/h and the X6 was just holding the road as hell! And that was on standard 19" wheels and 255mm wide tires How it can hold the road on 20" with 315mm rear tires?
Really this was the main impression which I had, just something amaizing, I felt like almost nothing would be able to catch with me on those roads Ok, maybe a 50i would
Apart from that, yes it can go 230 km/h (tried it on freeway), yes it attracts sometimes too much attention. I had receved such a "nice" look from one bus driver that I had to laugh for 5 minutes
Some thing i have to mention:
- rear view camera, yes it starts sometimes too slowly, mostly if you start the car and need to back up right away, then you have to wait for iDrive to start, otherwise it's ok, graphics is not great, but HEY, as a BACK UP camera on a CAR its perfect!
- Head Up Display, one of the best things ever on a car, a MUST have
- adaptive xenon light: as I made many of high speed twisty road kilometers during the night, I was amazed by the adaptive headlamps, they make driving in night so much safer as you see much more ahead in the curves,
- rear visibility: yes its poor, but if you try to keep yourself ahead of all other cars, than there is no problem Anyway, it is misleading as you sometimes think that a car behind you is kissing your rear bumper, but then start the rear view camera and you see that there is still some space behind you,
- active steering, just another perfect equipment of the car, just a wonderful thing around town, when parking and it doesn't mess up the steering at high speeds,
- comfort access, another nice feature, I liked it a lot.

To put it together, I have been driving many BMW's and other cars as well, and I am absolutelly impressed by the X6 and its handling, ride quality and comfort. It IS way better than the current X5 (I had it for a testdrive just for 3 hours though), and I do not regred my choice at all.
Below a few pictures of the car.

Please post your first impressions of X6.

Peter
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 05:54 AM   #2
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Nice work man...good info.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 06:15 AM   #3
PeTo_H
Private
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: '99 528iA, X6 35i on the way

Thanks, and I tried to be very brief in my post
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Great Car,I pick mine up tomorrow morning, nice parking by the way

I hope you enjoy yours when you get it. I was just saying in another thread, Adaptive drive I left OFF my order, I just could not see any point to it for my day to day "out of town" driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
Anteater
An Englishman in Chicago......
United_States
Rep
Drives: VR X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Great Car,I pick mine up tomorrow morning, nice parking by the way

I hope you enjoy yours when you get it. I was just saying in another thread, Adaptive drive I left OFF my order, I just could not see any point to it for my day to day "out of town" driving.
Good news johnbmw6 - you must be pleased that the dealer tracked it down eventually! Post some pics when you can!

Cheers, Anteater.
Appreciate 0