XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #1
becker800
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 GC

2012 X5 50i Comfort Access problem

I recently picked up a 2012 X5 50i

The comfort access feature does not work. (and yes it has the feature according to bmwvin.com)

The keyfob unlocking/locking and liftgate work fine using the buttons but having the key in your pocket doesnt work at all nor does it start the vehicle. no door handles work and doesnt even matter if its in your hand. Ive replaced the battery but no help.

If you put the key in the ignition it will start just fine.

Dealer wants $350 for a new key and reprogramming but no refund if that doesnt fix the issue. Ive tried all tricks to "resync/reprogram" the key to the vehicle that ive read about but no fixes.

Dealer said they cant reprogram the existing key to the vehicle for some reason?

Just wanted to check here to see if anyone else had any other ideas before going and purchasing the new key.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #2
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Your Comfort Access System (CAS) could just be faulty. Mine has been faulty twice, wish it wasn't optioned with it. If just one door handle isn't working, I believe the entire CAS doesn't work. Mine got so bad that some other internal electronics started to not work. The radio wouldn't work - got the 'No Warning Tones' error. Brought it to the dealer and the door handle overheated during their test and melted it (shorted).

Purchase your W///AGON Stickers Here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1930190
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Handles work independently of each other. JDNY516 likely had a burned fuse, as I've experienced the symptoms he's describing when I pulled the fuse to do some testing.

Regardless, if no aspect of it is working, it's either your CAS Module or the fuse, but I'm leaning toward the former as the fuse also controls other things (i.e., gong). BUT, the fuse (#132 in the trunk) would be my first step at diagnosing this.

Here's my journey through the issue and conclusion, hope it helps.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1372349

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
JDAURIA723.50
      11-21-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I just had one CAS door handle replaced under warranty on Friday past. It all works fine now. Previously, the car would alternate every 5 or 6 days between none of the handles operating with comfort access - to all of them working except the faulty one. Throughout that, the car would always start with the fob in my pocket.

The fact that your car will only start with the fob plugged into the dash suggests to me that it may not be a comfort access issue; you may need the reprogramming suggested by the dealer, or the fuse, as noted above.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Do some searching here and on XOUTPOST.com, many threads.
I have seen a couple ppl mention diff issues, esp NOT having to pay the dealer to code the new key, they just drove home and it worked. Best to know all the possibilities before dropping trousers for them.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 07:57 PM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Yea sometimes I question that stuff as my vin also said I have adaptive cruise control which I don't. So who knows!

The dealer can run your vin and give you a build sheet with all your available options. . It's a tad more reliable than 3rd party stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
... my vin also said I have adaptive cruise control which I don't. So who knows!

The dealer can run your vin and give you a build sheet with all your available options. . It's a tad more reliable than 3rd party stuff.
Are you sure you're not misunderstanding the VIN decoding site's option code? I've seen many BMW owners confuse the option codes below and assume that S544A is adaptive cruise control...it is not.
  • S541A Adaptive Cruise Control
  • S544A Cruise control with brake function (used to be called "dynamic cruise control")

The S544a option code above is standard/regular cruise control. What it does is...apply the brakes if the vehicle's actual speed EXCEEDS the pre-set speed. For example, if the vehicle is going down hill and the CC is set at 70 MPH...and the vehicle begins to creep up to 75 MPH...the brakes will be applied to keep the vehicle at 70 MPH.

Again, the option code above is NOT Adaptive Cruise Control.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-29-2017 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Qsilver7 is right. The ACC Stop & Go option has option code 5DF “Active cruise control + stop & go”. I’ve never had the vin decoder report incorrect data.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 08:02 PM   #9
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
... my vin also said I have adaptive cruise control which I don't. So who knows!

Are you sure you're not misunderstanding the VIN decoding site's option code? I've seen many BMW owners confuse the option codes below and assume that S544A is adaptive cruise control...it is not.
  • S541A Adaptive Cruise Control
  • S544A Cruise control with brake function (used to be called "dynamic cruise control")

The S544a option code above is standard/regular cruise control. What it does is...apply the brakes if the vehicle's actual speed EXCEEDS the pre-set speed. For example, if the vehicle is going down hill and the CC is set at 70 MPH...and the vehicle begins to creep up to 75 MPH...the brakes will be applied to keep the vehicle at 70 MPH.

Again, the option code above is NOT Adaptive Cruise Control.
Yea I'll have to check the paperwork again unless I have something I don't know I have lol...

But I swear it said adaptive. Never had issues with the other bmw's I've had but this was the first where I was like hey that doesn't make sense.

Thanks though I can see why it be one to confuse.
Appreciate 0