XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
MCB_X5M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Carmax Warranty...

Well, I bought my 2011 X5M from Carmax about 5 months ago specifically because I heard their warranty coverage was pretty solid. The car had 48k miles and a 5 year 100k mile warranty was $4,200.

Last week after a short drive the car started spewing steam from engine bay so had it towed to BMW. The tow was covered by the Carmax warranty (up to $100). BMW diagnosed the issue as leaking coolant lines and also found worn thrust rod bushings, recommended repairs of $3987.

Carmax warranty company sent someone to BMW to inspect the claim and then authorized the repairs to be covered. BMW was surprised as most warranty companies deny coolant hoses as wear items. Pretty satisfied that the warranty has nearly paid for itself in half a year!

Oh, and BMW now wants $500 to replace the battery... seems the ///M tax is strong!

Also, next time I'll be requesting a flatbed!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bandwagn232.00
      11-20-2018, 09:06 PM   #2
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Hopefully in the future you will never see your car being ever towed again but how they towed your vehicle is ok.

When I had flatbedded mine, they had to drag the car up the bed because there’s no way to put the vehicle in neutral without jacking up the vehicle and turning the release screw under the shift link.
Atleast on the XM, only the rear is locked. Guy didn’t had any skates. Puts out laundry detergent under the tire and drags it up. When it comes dropping the vehicle...he had to shake it off the bed. It was a painful sight. Be careful what you wish for.
Damn you BMW FOR NOT HAVING AN ACCESSIBLE RELEASE TO NEUTRAL DURING EMERGENCY. Wait, Bmw weren’t supposed to breakdown.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:54 PM   #3
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
sounds like pretty good coverage from Carmax!
I assume you can only get that warranty when u buy u car from them.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 05:10 AM   #4
MCB_X5M
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
I believe so, and only at time of purchase if I remember correctly. It's their MaxCare warranty... not sure if there is an underlying company that handles claims... if so, maybe there is an option to purchase directly from them.

I really was skeptical about Carmax buying (paid a premium for the car) and I am always on the fence for extended warranty in general!
Appreciate 1
boneca2000.50
      11-21-2018, 07:17 AM   #5
MCB_X5M
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB_X5M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
I believe so, and only at time of purchase if I remember correctly. It's their MaxCare warranty... not sure if there is an underlying company that handles claims... if so, maybe there is an option to purchase directly from them.

I really was skeptical about Carmax buying (paid a premium for the car) and I am always on the fence for extended warranty in general!
Administered by Fidelity warranty services
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 08:00 AM   #6
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnailz View Post
Damn you BMW FOR NOT HAVING AN ACCESSIBLE RELEASE TO NEUTRAL DURING EMERGENCY. Wait, Bmw weren’t supposed to breakdown.
I thought it's under the cupholder per:

I just used ///Maxcare also for an issue. Apparently I can break a rear axle shaft and while the shop recommended both axles be replaced, Fidelity Warranty only covered the broken bits, labor and a loaner.

I've had positive experience with Maxcare in the past too when my 21# boosted A4 detonated the AC unit- $0 cost to me to fix. It's very satisfying to get a shop bill for $0.00.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #7
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbimma View Post
I thought it's under the cupholder per:
Not for Lci. Mine had the cup holder access but upon opening there’s nothing down there.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #8
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Yes, I heard good things about Maxcare as well. If I was ever to buy a used german, I will only buy from Carmax. Yes, they charge more than the usual but you do get great aftermarket warranty that includes everything, unless it is specifically excluded. You can ask the salesman for a list of exclusions. If it is not on the list, then it is covered. I think the Maxcare is worth it for the good warranty and less headaches vs if you bought it from private party or dealer who tries to hide problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #9
Vitalität
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 & X5

Garage List
2015 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2007 BMW X5 48i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2004 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnailz View Post
Not for Lci. Mine had the cup holder access but upon opening there’s nothing down there.
Find that hard to believe. It's the same for LCI models.

Garage: BMW i3 Giga World BEV | BMW E70 X5
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalität View Post
Find that hard to believe. It's the same for LCI models.
LCI and X5M the neutral switch is a screw under the truck. Driver side of the transmission and it’s and Allen key. You tighten down the screw and it turns a lever inside of the transmission. You know it’s in neutral because the warning lights go off on the dash. This makes that special red tool worthless. Especially since the manual pull tab for emergency brake release on the LCI model are loops and not buttons. The red tool is supposed to turn the neutral under the cup holder and pull the button for the Ebrake release in the trunk...my car has neither but I do have the red tool!
Appreciate 1
E70M8.00