XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Jtravapd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5 sport edition

premium sound system

Hello everyone, just quick question, is the premium sound system work purchasing?

I have a 2011 x5 being built right now, and i called hte dealership to ask to add the premium sound, and i was told it is too late to add, that the vehicle began being built 7 days ago.

Just curious, the money it costs for the premium sound system is really high, in my past as a teenager i had aftermarket systems that literally shook the ground that cost half that price. I however, wanted to keep everything stock in my bmw, so im hoping i didn't miss out by not upgrading the sound system. Has anyone been able to upgrade the speakers with aftermarket ones and had success? or is the stock system good as is.

Also , i have the navi and tech package , but did i need the premium sound system to be able to play movies through the navi?

thanks for any help in advanced, waiting for the car is killing me, so all i have is the internet and i am constantly reading contradicting stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
black_fx_35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Nothing you can do about it now....I am waiting to pick my X5D up next Thursday PCD, so I can't offer much personal perspective. I have heard the base system sucks, and for the money, premium sound may not be worth it (I opted to get it). Many on here say you would be better off spending the money aftermarket and get a far better system.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
baby huey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Premium Sound

I haven't compared the two side-by-side, but ....
Judging from past posts, here's what I've gleaned;
1) The standard sound system is pretty sucky
2) The premium sound system (I have it in mine) is comparable in sound quality to after-market installations. (I'm very pleased)
At this juncture, your options seemed to be narrowed down to one - wait and test your system, and if you don't like it keep it (original equipment) or upgrade (plenty of options here, only limited by the size of your checkbook).
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
TYMAH123
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 SAV

I have the upgraded system and it's really nice. Not the ground shaking one but that's not what I was striving for. The clarity is pretty good. If I had to do it all over I'd get it again.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I have a 335i with Logic 7 and the 2011 X5 35d with base audio.

I have also had a 2010 328 loaner with base audio.

Here are my opinions.

The 3 series base audio sucks donkey balls. I really mean it too. It's terrible! No bass, muddy highs, and it makes this awful pop cracking noise when the amplifier starts to clip. It was pretty much good only for news radio or very light volume music.

The x5 base audio isn't all that terrible. Sure it's not as great as my logic 7, but for normal listening levels, it's not bad. It's leaps and bounds better than the base 3 er audio system. It more than meets my expectations as a base audio system. I'm actually content enough to say that I am glad I didn't plop out the extra $1800 for the premium sound. I am glad I spent that money instead on comfort seats and a spare tire!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
Jtravapd
Private
Rep

i asked the dealership if they could install the premium system when the vehicle came in. They told me no. I really do not undertand why the dealership can't add the sound system.

Does anyone know the brand of speakers that come with the bmw or how powerful the amp is? Im wondering if i can just replace the speakers with aftermarket ones, and if that would make a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
Ikendiken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

I'll share with you what I think I know about this, but I'm sure I'm mistaken on a technical point here or there.

I think one of the differences between the premium and base sound system is that the premium system outputs digitally from the head unit while the base system is analog. I'm not sure if there is an external amp in the base system.

The base system comes with four 4" speakers in each of the doors and two 6.5" speakers under each seat. There are mounts in the doors for tweeters but no speakers in them.

One of the troubles you will have replacing the speakers (and this has been true of BMW for as long as I can remember) is how shallow the door mounts are. Most aftermarket speakers simply won't fit. There is a company which caters to BMW audio, but they haven't yet released their kit for the X5. http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/ca...261/0/Catalog/

Sorry, I don't have any practical advice for you regarding what's going to give you the best bang for your buck in terms of upgrades. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
Jtravapd
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikendiken View Post
I'll share with you what I think I know about this, but I'm sure I'm mistaken on a technical point here or there.

I think one of the differences between the premium and base sound system is that the premium system outputs digitally from the head unit while the base system is analog. I'm not sure if there is an external amp in the base system.

The base system comes with four 4" speakers in each of the doors and two 6.5" speakers under each seat. There are mounts in the doors for tweeters but no speakers in them.

One of the troubles you will have replacing the speakers (and this has been true of BMW for as long as I can remember) is how shallow the door mounts are. Most aftermarket speakers simply won't fit. There is a company which caters to BMW audio, but they haven't yet released their kit for the X5. http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/ca...261/0/Catalog/

Sorry, I don't have any practical advice for you regarding what's going to give you the best bang for your buck in terms of upgrades. Good luck!

man, there is no way i should be bummed out after paying 60k for a car. lol. Hopefully it sounds good with the stock system.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtravapd View Post
man, there is no way i should be bummed out after paying 60k for a car. lol. Hopefully it sounds good with the stock system.
You won't be too disappointed. I was worried too.

One word of advice is you have to let the speakers break in. It may sound pretty crappy early on. But after a few hours of playing it, it starts to sound better.

At worse, you can do the bavarian sound upgrade posted in the link above.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 06:25 AM   #10
baby huey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Premium Sound

If you're not happy with the new car's sound system, call the techie's at Crutchfield.
www.crutchfield.com
If there's a way to upgrade, they should be able to help.
Also, very reputible.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
TYMAH123
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 SAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallseafishie View Post
I'm actually content enough to say that I am glad I didn't plop out the extra $1800 for the premium sound. I am glad I spent that money instead on comfort seats and a spare tire!
Where are you getting the $1800 number from? The MSRP is $1200 for the hi-fi system and the actual price that I paid for mine is $1090. If you don't like the base stereo you will easily spend that much just to bring it up to the hi-fi level and it won't be covered by warranty.

My friend has a pre-LCI X5 with the base stereo, I have to compare mine and his head to head and will let you guys know what I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #12
Jtravapd
Private
Rep

im not so sure , the non premium radio isn't digital because it has HD radio, and its a digital signal. It doesn't seem like it would make sense to put in a digital HD radio, and then convert the signal back to analog.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #13
Ikendiken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
im not so sure , the non premium radio isn't digital because it has HD radio, and its a digital signal. It doesn't seem like it would make sense to put in a digital HD radio, and then convert the signal back to analog.
CDs, DVDs, iPods are all digital. The D-A conversion has to occur somewhere because your speakers (and ears) are analog devices. The real question: is your head unit the only amp? If not and there is an external amp somewhere does the head unit feed it a digital or analog signal. My guess is analog. The premium system has a built-in equalizer and surround sound capability that isn't on the base system.

If you are going to go aftermarket, its a lot easier to tap into an analog line (balanced or not) and build from there. Either way, you should wait to hear it in person before you get too worked up over it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #14
halfclue
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive35d

Hello:

BMW replaced my 2011 X35d because of some bad paint, which I detailed in a previous post.

I ordered the Premium Sound in the replacement vehicle, because I was already getting a couple of the items that come with the Premium Sound. So, to upgrade was only a few hundred more.

My observation confirms what was just said, about an equalizer and surround sound that is not in the base configuration.

Overall, the sound is not bad. It is not a ground-shaking monster, but that isn't what I wanted anyway.

One thing that seems very clear to me and my daughter and son-in-law - there must be some additional sound insulation or dampening material installed with the premium sound. Road noise from my vehicle, and from other vehicles passing is noticeably lower. It isn't just noticeable if you try to listen carefully, it is very noticeable right away. I don't know if I just got lucky or if BMW actually adds something with the premium sound, but I am quite happy with the results.

Good luck with yours.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
Jtravapd
Private
Rep

Does anyone know if you can have your vehicle upgraded at bmw after its built? I asked my salesperson, but he doesn't seem like he has any answers.

Also does the stock radio still play dvd movies while in park? Or is that dependent only on the navigation unit.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #16
Donibm
Emperor X5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMX X5 2009

I Have Premium Sound

I have the 09 model. My system is 6?? watts. I'm happy with it. The new systems are 8?? watts. So, go figure.

My friend just got his 2011 M3 droptop and that sound system is BANANAS! You'd never guess it was a stock system.

So, I'd say u def want to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #17
icenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

Quote:
Does anyone know if you can have your vehicle upgraded at bmw after its built? I asked my salesperson, but he doesn't seem like he has any answers.

Also does the stock radio still play dvd movies while in park? Or is that dependent only on the navigation unit.
I am the sales manager for a high end custom shop in NJ. I can assure you that you can upgrade your sound system in the X5 and it will sound far superior than the premium setup. You can still maintain the factory radio/steering controls etc. If you are interested in doing anything to the vehicle, let me know. We do all the upgrades for Manhattan Motorcar (Lambo, Bentley, Porsche, etc) As well as do work for many professional athletes. We are capable of doing anything custom across the whole spectrum however we specialize in doing clean OEM looking modifications.
All work is done in house as well. Upholstery, paintwork, rim/tire packages etc..

Check us out!! www.luxmotorwerks.com
or FB has all of our latest work

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/LUX...ks/80870603601
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 12:11 AM   #18
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

great. now i'm second guessing myself on not upgrading to premium sound . i do hope i can find someplace in cali that can do an upgrade with maintaining all the controls.
      09-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #19
mrdenis
mcopb8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

X5 equalizer settings?

I just took delivery of an X5 with the HiFi sound system and I am quite disappointed with the audio quality. Using the equalizer to compensate for the frequency response distortions caused by this cabin can definitely help. Someone on the M3 message board used a spectrum analyzer and white noise generator to pinpoint to correct settings and it improved the sound to where I like it.

The HiFi sound on the X5 is *not* as good as on the M3 but I would like to get closer so my question is whether anyone knows the proper equalizer settings on the X5?
2006 BMW M3 coupe - sold
1999 BMW 540i touring - sold
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #20
KenH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92m3 f25x3 e71x6

There are three audio levels on the X5 and X6. The basic system is not connected via the MOST bus, unlike the other two systems. The top system is the Individual but that is not readily available in the USA although it is in Canada. The middle system (or Premium) is the only option offered in the USA.
It appears to me that it is feasible (although expensive) to upgrade from Premium to Individual but not from the basic system to either of the others.
As far as I can tell the middle system (ie the Premium upgrade in the USA) used to be Logic 7 but that is definitely not the case now.
M versions in the US come with Premium as standard with the option of Individual.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #21
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
I doubt it. There's 16 speakers in the premium sound and only 10 with the stock so you'll be missing speaker locations in the rear pillars. I listened to the stock before I ordered an it wasn't anywhere near my logic 7 in my 335. The premium sound is worth every penny. Especially since I don't have to worry about running wires, high or low level inputs, boxes taking up space and most of all... Engine noise.
      02-26-2021, 04:00 AM   #22
toque para
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think I should buy a high-end sound system. Because it offers more value than the normal version. The first is for your own service while driving, followed by a longer durability of the car. I regularly use and baixar these on search engines.

Last edited by toque para; 02-26-2021 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0